RC Qualifier

summit steel axels

I got the guy at the hobby shop to install my axels for me, they say revo 1/16 on them but he says they are the same, when i drive them, the one shafts keeps coming out of the socket... are they the same? or what should I do to prevent this?

RC Qualifier
    The driveshafts will work if you Get 1/16 erevo a arms in the back ( the front ones are fine). The summit arms are Extended and swept back 10mm, that's why the driveshafts pop out. Your local hobby shop guy has no clue what he's talking about BTW.
    Last edited by Maxximum Overdive; 09-17-2012 at 10:19 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Ya that looks the issue, its the back one that comes out... is there a different one made for summits then? 92 bucks and it comes out, this sucks...

RC Qualifier
    Unfortunately no, they only make them for the 1/16 erevo. If you get 1/16 erevo a arms it will fix the problem.
    Last edited by Maxximum Overdive; 09-17-2012 at 10:33 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Just for the rear or do I need all 4?

RC Qualifier
    Just the rear. I'm running traxxas CVD's on my mini Summit with Merv rear RPM A Arms with no problems.
    Last edited by Maxximum Overdive; 09-17-2012 at 11:25 PM.

RC Qualifier
    What a pain this is... It will work perfect they said, it will be fun he said

RC Qualifier
    I'd go back and make them give you your money back or hook you up with the Merv A Arms to make it right!

RC Qualifier
    DOes it need upper and lower? all 4 or just 2?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    All 4 rear arms.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    The stock Summit CVs are not at all like the stock ERevos. They are much more expensive and use better technology on joints. You may be better off with the stock in the rear since it's not just a longer wheel base, but wider/more stable.

You are mistaken... for the 16th scale.
    What you say is 100% true for the 10th scale axles. It has been proven that the stock 16th scale Revo axles are much stronger than the stock 16th scale Summit axles. The pins are much smaller in diameter on the Summit vs the Revo... and there is much less plastic holding them in place.

Also, the Summit arms are NOT any wider than the Revo arms. They extend the wheel base... the measurement from front hub to rear hub, not the track width... the measurement from hub to hub on the same axle.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    You are mistaken... for the 16th scale.
    What you say is 100% true for the 10th scale axles. It has been proven that the stock 16th scale Revo axles are much stronger than the stock 16th scale Summit axles. The pins are much smaller in diameter on the Summit vs the Revo... and there is much less plastic holding them in place.

Also, the Summit arms are NOT any wider than the Revo arms. They extend the wheel base... the measurement from front hub to rear hub, not the track width... the measurement from hub to hub on the same axle.
    I won't get into a disagreement about the CVs since there is no way of proving it without testing--maybe you can reference one. If the inferior product is over twice as much money, then someone in engineering may be screwing up. I believe that since the Summit has more articulation it needs a joint which can accomodate that increase. The Revo uses progressive rockers which don't give as much suspension movement and therefore not as much potential binding in the joint. With the gearing we have on the Summit(33.41 total) and how it's being used in rock crawling, if there is a weakness, it will be found-but hasn't yet.

You should check the spec sheet[/B][/B] on Traxxas's website on the front and rear track. Front is 10.43, rear is 10.63--just the facts.

There has been a lot of testing on the differences in axle strength... real world testing.
    Just read the forum.

I did not know 2.5mm per side would make that much of a handling difference.

RC Qualifier
    I have a merv and my son a summit. Real world scenario the summit axles suck. I have cvd's because of big block n he runs merv axles on 2s. I took rustler u joints installed them in the merv axles n ground down the part that stuck out. Same kind of thing I did to
    My 1:1 rig. Just a bigger u joint. The summit idea looks cool though.
    BB MERV/T8 Rusty/OS21REVO
    Drive it like its Hot

RC poster
    At first, iīm sorry for my english, i dont come from english speaking conutry. I have the same problem, I got original Traxxas steel cvds on my 1/16 summit, but rear axels are popping out (like the pictures says). I have bought e-revo rear arms but same problem. In my room, itīs ok, but outside, on grass and open fields where the suspension is working, driveshafts pop out immediately.
    Maxximum Overdive said that this (e-revo rear arms) will fix the problem, but not in my case. Where ist the problem? Thanks

this is with e-revo arms:

How far do you have your pillow balls threaded in?
    Threading them in as far as possible without binding and creating too much toe in might help.
    Another few things that might help is either lowering your ride height or installing P2 rockers.

RC poster
    I will try it with pillow balls threading in, but i dont think it will help, because they are ok now. I want keep long travel, thatīs why i have summit.
    Many users here and on YT said that they are running these cvds on summit and it is working so there must be way.

RC Qualifier
    I'm running them on my summit with zero issues, however I'm using P2 rockers and RPM Merv rear A Arms.
    It looks like on the pic you bought stock Merv A Arms, where did you buy them from? Local hobby shop or online?

Edit: upon closer inspection, P2 rockers are a must with traxxas CVD's the pic speaks for itself.
    Last edited by Maxximum Overdive; 11-11-2012 at 08:17 PM.

RC poster
    I bought them on ebay.com, part number 7132. As i can see, I should give up a long travel, if i want steel cvds. Can you give me a part number of these P2 rockers please?

Is this your car with P2 rockers? left one, red body against long travel rockers?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tomas.guru View Post
    I bought them on ebay.com, part number 7132. As i can see, I should give up a long travel, if i want steel cvds. Can you give me a part number of these P2 rockers please?

Is this your car with P2 rockers? left one, red body against long travel rockers?
    Is this a current picture of your summit? Reason I ask is it looks like it still has the extended rear A Arms to me.

RC Racer
    Tazewell Va. Were so small here in taz. that we only have 3 stop lights....and one is broke
    would it work with the extended arms as long as you change out the long travel rockers???

RC Qualifier
    Couldn't say for sure with the arms but I would think that is much less of a difference then the rockers. I would try it if you like the longer wheel base. The red one is a merv w Cvds the summit is stock with merv axles and rustler joints or at least the ball that goes in it. I haven't had any problems with the axles since that mod. That's my 7yr olds first so you. An imagine how he drives it and it's on 3s geared 16/50 w no temp issues.
    BB MERV/T8 Rusty/OS21REVO
    Drive it like its Hot