RC Enthusiast

1/16 Summit VXL as you've never seen before!

Hi,

I want to show you my last video,

After almost a year of using and modifying my 1/16 VXL Summit the project is done and my car suit my needs being reliable so the end is here. You can see the list of mods at the end of the video.

Hope you like the video and please, feel free to ask!

RC Qualifier
    Very nice video!
    Good choice of music also.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    What have you done??

NM... I guess if I had watched the entire vid or read the entire post before watching I wouldn't need to ask. lol
    Last edited by Jimmie Neutron; 09-17-2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: I got too excited...
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    At the end of the video you have a list of mods, if you want to know for something specific feel free to ask. I'll post some photos as soon as i can, because i'm out of town for about 2 weeks.

Jimmy, i have to be grateful for your posts! You've helped me a lot.

Cheers!

What motor/ESC?

You don't have heat issues with those big tires?

RC Enthusiast
    Stock Velineon! VXL-3m and 380. I don't have heat issues now, with the lowest gearing possible (44.5:1 !!) and this heatsink/fan:

Running this saturday at 30-32C (about 90F) without problem.

That's funny... your post does not show any link, but my email did. lol

I am surprised the Integy fan does anything... I just bought two for $8.50 shipped and from what I can tell there is no airflow because once the sink is installed on the motor, it blocks off all air passageways. I am currently thinking through the process of adding some type of high surface area air passageways.

RC Enthusiast
    True, but i've made 6 holes in the heatsink and now it works!

Can you post a pic of these holes?

RC Enthusiast
    Not today, i'm out of town. But:

Big hole is 4mm, small is 3mm. Also, i've flipped the fan because from factory (as you look in this photo) it sucks air from the motor and its supposed to be the other way.

Cheers!
    Last edited by EGA; 09-18-2012 at 05:18 AM.

Looks like you've got a good bashing site there!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Enthusiast
    Yes! It's an MTB trail that i use both to ride my bike and my Summit,

RC Competitor
    This is awesome and encouraging, I have been building something very similar. Should have a lot of it done in a month or so.

Now for the questions you invited:
    1. Did you use the Hot Racing aluminum bulkheads? I have been worried a little about the plastic ones expanding under the large stresses generated from the bigger tires(ring/pinion, A-arms,etc).
    2. Why didn't you just use 2 Traxxas servos?
    3. Also, why did you use the slash tie rods for push rods?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Aluminum bulkheads definitely help.out with the flex.don't run dual servos all you need is one Good strong servo

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Aluminum bulkheads definitely help.out with the flex.don't run dual servos all you need is one Good strong servo
    I spoke with the Traxxas rep today and he said basically the same thing unless I can fab an adjustable link to the drag link. I am going to try and fab the link. I can't find a single high powered servo that is "water proof". In looking at HITec they have two WP versions with one looking a lot like the 2080.

Don't let the label "waterproof" hold you back. It is super easy to waterproof any servo.

RC Competitor
    Thanks Jimmie, I think you're right. I wish the OP would catch up with his post. I was looking at the Losi tires he has and they're 5.2"OD which would tend to hit the body when turning. Maybe he has some axle extenders. The stock Geodes are about 4 and they hit the body slightly when suspension is compressed. I'm thinking about trying 4.8" tires, but 1.9" W(narrower than stock).

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks to all!

Quote Originally Posted by RCinSC View Post
    This is awesome and encouraging, I have been building something very similar. Should have a lot of it done in a month or so.

Now for the questions you invited:
    1. Did you use the Hot Racing aluminum bulkheads? I have been worried a little about the plastic ones expanding under the large stresses generated from the bigger tires(ring/pinion, A-arms,etc).
    2. Why didn't you just use 2 Traxxas servos?
    3. Also, why did you use the slash tie rods for push rods?
    1. No. I'm using stock bulkheads shimmed as said in this forum. Associated shims, 3x front, 4x rear.
    2. High price, low torque and plastic gears.
    3. They're about 5mm shorter. Lower CG keeping the same amount of travel and less angled driveshafts prevents from driveshaft failure.

Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    don't run dual servos all you need is one Good strong servo
    Don't agree. I have used a lot of servos in single configuration: traxxas 3kg, rextor 3g, hitec 2.8kg, bluebird 4kg, bluebird 4.6kg, gws 6kg. All burned.

I spoke with the Traxxas rep today and he said basically the same thing unless I can fab an adjustable link to the drag link. I am going to try and fab the link. I can't find a single high powered servo that is "water proof". In looking at HITec they have two WP versions with one looking a lot like the 2080.
    I'm using two GPM adjustable servo rods, works fine. Waterproofing is not an issue, some grease and some silicon and it's done.

Thanks Jimmie, I think you're right. I wish the OP would catch up with his post. I was looking at the Losi tires he has and they're 5.2"OD which would tend to hit the body when turning. Maybe he has some axle extenders. The stock Geodes are about 4 and they hit the body slightly when suspension is compressed. I'm thinking about trying 4.8" tires, but 1.9" W(narrower than stock).
    I don't have axle extenders. High offset wheels is the way to go. Mine are stock wheels from a Losi Night Crawler, and also the tires. Also i have the body posts at the highest position to make room for batteries behind the front bumper.

Here you have two photos of my mini Summit:

Before you ask, batteries are two Zipy LiFePO4 6.6V and 1100mAh each, wired in parallel (2s2p) for a total of 2200mAh in 6.6v. About 45min of running time.
    Last edited by EGA; 10-01-2012 at 10:24 AM.

RC Competitor
    Really nice vid. With 2200mAh lipo, you can do 45min? It is because of the low gear and high torque instead of high speed? Because with 2200mAh 7.4v in parallel, you will have 4400mAh, this means like 1h30 of run time.... wow.