RC Enthusiast

3500 grenaded. Water maybe?

Ok folks, here is the deal. I was running my Slash and accidently ran it into the pond. Not big deal right, these are waterproof (waterproof?). It was 90% in for about 8 seconds with the nose up. My nephew grabbed it and off I went. 20 seconds later, I was slowly rolling a curve when I heard a pop. I pulled the motor and found the rotor magnet in 3 huge pieces with lots of little shards. There was also water in the can. Could it be that the water is what destroyed the motor, hot metal versus cold water? Or was it just time for this motor to go?

Little back ground, it has spent it's short life (10 months old) on 3 cells and ran pretty rough. Mostly road ran. What do you folks think?

I pulled the Velineon from my Exo Terra and ordered a Reedy 550 for the Exo. But have since been ready that a 550 can would be a better motor for the slash on 3 cells that the Velineon. I am only running 2 cell batteries on the Exo. What do you guys think of that? Keep course with the Velineon in the Slash and put the Reedy in the Exo or Vica Versa.

You'll have to excuse my nievate` with the brushless questions. I spent 30 years playing with brushed cars and nitro. I just got these 2 trucks over the last couple weeks. Other than that, computer fans and a few helicopters back a couple years ago is all the brushless experience I have.

Thanks for any help.
    I love his music, I do. I'm a Michael Bolton fan.

It might have been that you were running 3s and when it did hit the water it was cold but doesnt explain the water in the can though shouldnt have been able to get in there at all but a good idea is to check the motor when it does that fully submerged since a motor is not 100% waterproof
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Qualifier
    Pic please... I want to see the carnage... lol
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Enthusiast
    Water will get in the can in an instant. The heat transfer from hot to cold exploded the magnet. These things are not "waterproof" they are "water-resistant".

RC Enthusiast
    I should have taken some pics before I trashed the rotor. It was knarly. Hopefully the esc is not fried.
    I've seen people drop these in pools and run them but I guess the diff here is I had made several high speed passed before it went all fishy fishy. Hot motor + cold water = upset tad. Oh well. You live and learn. Plus side, I got a new motor coming.
    I love his music, I do. I'm a Michael Bolton fan.