RC Competitor

Oil leaking from EZ start, Slayer Pro

Hi All,

Noticed the past couple of days that I've got some oil leaking out of the body of the EZ start near the bottom where it connects to the engine. Appears to be white and creamy looking....

Engine performs fine..everything is normal. About 1 gallon run through it. I just wipe it away and put the truck away when I'm done, the truck is not covered in it or anything.

Is the backplate needing repacement or something?

Thanks

RC Racer
    Sounds like Part # 5213: O-ring, backplate 20x1.4mm (TRX 2.5, 2.5R) needing to be replaced.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by BAD RC View Post
    Sounds like Part # 5213: O-ring, backplate 20x1.4mm (TRX 2.5, 2.5R) needing to be replaced.
    Same part for 3.3?

RC Competitor
    ok...just looked at the exploded view...same part

Anything else that would cause this, or will I just head over to the LHS and pick this part up?

RC Racer
    Only thing I can think of if you had water enter the EZ-Start Assembly, and it mixed up with the gear oil thus leaking out the bottom.
    Last edited by BAD RC; 09-16-2012 at 01:58 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by BAD RC View Post
    Only thing I can think of if you had water enter the EZ-Start Assembly, and it mixed up with the gear oil thus leaking out the bottom.
    My truck hasn't been anywhere near water...dust only!!!

RC Qualifier
    its not your backplate.. traxxas has white lithium grease in the gears of the easystart prob just seeping out abit.. pretty normal

Maybe it's not your backplate... The ez start shaft can get just a little worn, so the engine oil gets through and into the ez start, then leaks out. Some times if your running too rich the excess oil and nitro can put pressure on the ez start shaft, making it leak past and in to the ez start, where is will leak out. It's a problem most people (like me) just deal with it. Or you can get a new ez start shaft. You can get a new shaft (And/or backplate) and it will help stop the leak. The ez start shaft is Traxxas part #5277 and the backplate is part #5274. And yes, somtimes the grease that comes inside of the ez start can leak out. But after a while it should go away. If it doesn't, then the ez start shaft/backplate is worn out, or you are running too rich. Oh and when you re-install the backplate, you can use some RTV sealant to insure it won't leak past the outside of the backplate. It's risky, because you can get too much sealant, and it could get into the engine. You don't need to use sealant, but it helps insure a good seal. When you re-install it make sure the engine block and backplate have no oil on them, other wise it will seal the oil in, making a possible way for oil to leak out in the future. Good luck! Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 09-16-2012 at 03:32 PM.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Competitor
    Thanks, guys......it's no big deal to me...for now I'll just keep an eye on it and see what happens