Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Alliston, Ontario
    Posts
    13

    Very Dissapointed

    Hey there,
    Been a basher for some time with my Stampede 4x2. Some small upgades were done including a castle sidewinder esc and brushless motor. I bought a Stampede 4x4 on Thursday and took it out for a rip this morning. Wow- am I ever dissapointed. It is very slow compared to my 4x2; both out of the hole and top end. Heck, it wouldn't even lift the front wheels off the ground to do a wheelie on pavement. It was so long ago that my 4x2 was new that I can't remember if it was slower when brand new.
    One of my buddies has a 4x4 that is totally stock and it is so much faster than this one and he is also running stock batteries.I guess what I need to know is do these 4x4's break in and get going or am I going to have to step up to a bigger motor or do some other mod's? I was hoping that after spending over $400 on a new truck, it would be quick out of the box with never ending wheelies and speed.

    Any advise or ideas how to make this slow pede much faster would be welcome. Of course I checked all connections and screws and everything looks ok.

    Please help....

  2. #2
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Davenport, Iowa Quad Cities
    Posts
    2,470
    Are you in training mode?
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

  3. #3
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. vxlrocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Manassas, Va
    Posts
    6,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Circusbear View Post
    Hey there,
    Been a basher for some time with my Stampede 4x2. Some small upgades were done including a castle sidewinder esc and brushless motor. I bought a Stampede 4x4 on Thursday and took it out for a rip this morning. Wow- am I ever dissapointed. It is very slow compared to my 4x2; both out of the hole and top end. Heck, it wouldn't even lift the front wheels off the ground to do a wheelie on pavement. It was so long ago that my 4x2 was new that I can't remember if it was slower when brand new.
    One of my buddies has a 4x4 that is totally stock and it is so much faster than this one and he is also running stock batteries.I guess what I need to know is do these 4x4's break in and get going or am I going to have to step up to a bigger motor or do some other mod's? I was hoping that after spending over $400 on a new truck, it would be quick out of the box with never ending wheelies and speed.

    Any advise or ideas how to make this slow pede much faster would be welcome. Of course I checked all connections and screws and everything looks ok.

    Please help....
    several things to check....
    1)make sure yo're not in trainig mode because the 4x4 imo is every bit as fast as the 4x2.
    2) make sure your slipper is tight.
    3) make sure you pinion didn't come loose
    4) make sure the the splines that go into the ceter axle are tight.
    5) are the connectors from the esc and battery hot when plugged in and run?
    6) is the motor hot?
    7) is their any bindingthat you can pinpoint?
    Associated rc8TE, rc8.2E, B4.2, Ofna LX2E, Slash

  4. #4
    Marshal Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,188
    Are you sure you were not in Training Mode and had a fully charged battery?

    This truck should pull wheelies no problem just how it comes out of the box, if it is not something is not right.

    Another thought, did you calibrate the radio to the ESC?
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  5. #5
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Davenport, Iowa Quad Cities
    Posts
    2,470
    BTW wlecome to the forum here...
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    982
    Well, my 4x4 doesn't pop wheels either. But it pretty quick. Beats my 2wd out of the hole easily.
    2x Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4

  7. #7
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Davenport, Iowa Quad Cities
    Posts
    2,470
    Throw a castle 3800 in and its beast!
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

  8. #8
    Marshal Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Dknuckles View Post
    Throw a castle 3800 in and its beast!
    That is what I am running and I really like it BUT the stock system should perform better than he is reporting so IMO there is something not right that is probably something simple and could be fixed easily without the cost of buying a new system.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  9. #9
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Alliston, Ontario
    Posts
    13
    Really not interseted in pouring more cash into something that should work out of the box. It is NOT in training mode. The battery did get warm- not hot, and the motor and esc were a tiny bit warm- hardly noticable. I don't think anything is binding as far as I can tell...I just had knee surgury so when the pain killers kick in, I an going to look closer.

    Thanks for the replies. If you guys have any other ideas, pleaese send them along. I really am dissapointed with this truck. IF my buddies truck didn't do wheelies and was this slow, I would think this is the way it should be. Again , send along any other ideas where I can look. Thanks

  10. #10
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Davenport, Iowa Quad Cities
    Posts
    2,470
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    That is what I am running and I really like it BUT the stock system should perform better than he is reporting so IMO there is something not right that is probably something simple and could be fixed easily without the cost of buying a new system.
    I wasn't suggesting a new combo. In my first reply I asked if it was in training mode, which he replied it wasn't.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

  11. #11
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. DiggerPede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Posts
    7,171
    Maybe its the battery like dad said. Have you tried another pack or your friends to see if the performance of the truck changes. Are you running the stock nimh or a Lipo?
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

  12. #12
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Alliston, Ontario
    Posts
    13
    Running stock nimh. Also tried another battery but had the same result. This was the first charge on one battery and the other was from my 4x2. Don't think I have a battery problem.

  13. #13
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Davenport, Iowa Quad Cities
    Posts
    2,470
    You may have an esc issue. Seen this at our lhs a couple of times. Call traxxas support and see what they say if you can't resolve it.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

  14. #14
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. DiggerPede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Posts
    7,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Dknuckles View Post
    You may have an esc issue. Seen this at our lhs a couple of times. Call traxxas support and see what they say if you can't resolve it.
    +1 something isn't right. Especially for a new right out of the box.

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III ~ using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

  15. #15
    Marshal Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,188
    Have you tried calibrating it yet? If you have not you might not be getting full throttle even when you are pulling the trigger all the way.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  16. #16
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Alliston, Ontario
    Posts
    13
    Think I have a handle on it. Loosened motor and re-meshed pinion and drive gear. It really seemed to loosen things up a bit. Took it for a rip down my street and seems way faster. It will also pull 20' wheelies going across my fresh cut lawn. I think it's better Hopefully that's all it was but still not completly sold.....

  17. #17
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. spenniepoos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Wales in the UK
    Posts
    5,213
    Hi circusbear have you tried a 2s lipo yet?that will wake it up
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

  18. #18
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO
    Posts
    504
    When mine was stock I had to tighten the slipper to get wheelies. I ran it 1/4 backed off from fully tight.

  19. #19
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by Circusbear View Post
    Think I have a handle on it. Loosened motor and re-meshed pinion and drive gear. It really seemed to loosen things up a bit. Took it for a rip down my street and seems way faster. It will also pull 20' wheelies going across my fresh cut lawn. I think it's better Hopefully that's all it was but still not completly sold.....
    Glad you found that issue. Let us know if you have more questions!
    2x Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4

  20. #20
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Alliston, Ontario
    Posts
    13
    Thanks so much for the help guys. Took the cover off the driveshaft and tightened the slipper clutch up, then backed off the recommended 1/4 turn. I will see if that helps out too. Again, thanks for all the help guys. Geat Forum!!!

  21. #21
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    381
    I agree with calibrating throttle. Mine wouldn't wheelie on a 3s lipo out of the box. Got it fixed and couldn't keep it going straight!

  22. #22
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Saginaw,MI
    Posts
    327
    I can't do wheelies either! All stock and I was disappointed and I don't have no wheelies either! How do u recalibrate esc?!??
    RACE IT, BREAK IT, FIX IT, REPEAT!

  23. #23
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by atclauss View Post
    I can't do wheelies either! All stock and I was disappointed and I don't have no wheelies either! How do u recalibrate esc?!??
    It's in the book that came with it. Also tighten your slipper.

  24. #24
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Howell, MI
    Posts
    98
    Slipper = wheelie control ... almost always These slippers seem to have about an 1/8 turn sensitivity that goes from smooth "wheels on the ground" accels to hardly keeping the front wheels on the ground. I have to all but clamp mine down completely to get wheelies, but when I do, they are non stop. Be beware... I tend to strip spur gears when bashing with it this tight.

    Also note that the 4x4 weighs a LOT more than the 4x2 and may be a little slower on NiMH than you are used to. I agree with spenniepoos - 2s is the way to go on these trucks. NiMH just don't have the low end punch the lipo's have.
    Slash 4x4 (LCG/Sidewinder 8th/XO-1 Axles), SC10 RS

  25. #25
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Salisbury, NC
    Posts
    633

    Wink

    [QUOTE=vxlrocket;5287852]several things to check....
    1)make sure yo're not in trainig mode because the 4x4 imo is every bit as fast as the 4x2.
    2) make sure your slipper is tight.
    3) make sure you pinion didn't come loose
    4) make sure the the splines that go into the ceter axle are tight.
    5) are the connectors from the esc and battery hot when plugged in and run?
    6) is the motor hot?
    7) is their any bindingthat you can pinpoint?

    Good advice from vxl here. You definately have a problem with yours that you need to identify. I have a 2WD and a 4X4 and the 4X4 will leave it in the dust, even pops wheelies on grass and has climbed trees for about 2-3 feet before it loses traction and falls off. Obviously that wasn't done on purpose, but they can take a hit and keep on going.

  26. #26
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    McHenry, Illinois
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by Circusbear View Post
    It will also pull 20' wheelies going across my fresh cut lawn....
    But be careful... Wheelies in the grass will tear up your drive shafts real fast!
    I never ran my 4x4 on the stock battery; I sold it on eBay immediately. The quick drop in power the stock NiMh gives is a horrible disservice to such a potential basher. On 2s it is a monster and on 3s it is phenomenal…4s gets expensive!
    Just watch those drive shafts!
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •