Stronger wheels with 12mm hex

Lately my Desperado wheels have become the weak point of my Pede. I use them with Trenchers when I go off road. Probably they are just not fit for the task of withstanding the power of the MMP/2650 combo which is brought to them via FLM and MIP axles. Every once in a while I end up with either a front or rear drive Pede. I have the new MIP design on the rear and the FLMs on the front.

I am trying to find wheels which are just a tad stronger than the Desperados. I dont want to go to 17mm. I'm not even sure it it is possible with the FLMs on the front and on the other hand I just cant 17mm hex wheels that I like.

I use JConcepts Rulux with G-Locs for onroad which hold up a bit better, but also give up every once in a while.
    Although I love the Trenchers, I am aware that they dont help with this issue. When it comes to size, I wouldnt mind to replace those, but I cant find something in between the G-Locs and the Trenchers.

I know this is a hard one to crack, but I just wanted to vent it anyway.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Qualifier
    Badlands are your best option with the 12mm hex, any chance you could try this on the rims?

The other option if you have the means is to pin the rim to the hex so it would look like a regular hub and rim on your full size car with wheel studs through the rim. I have done this and it has held up for a while now and still going strong.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I know you kinda sorta stated you don't/ didnt want to go 17mm hex. baldy and dread upgraded to the Ofna MT Splits and mounted Trenchers on them. They have handled their monstrous abuse on their heavy weight 2wd Pedes. LOL What are your thoughts and do you like the looks of them?

Tech Info:
    Width: 2" (51mm)
    Diameter: 3.5" (88mm)

Ofna MT Splits Chrome Wheels OFN81153

Ofna MT Splits White (dyable) Wheels OFN81155
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Thanks for the options, guys. Always appreciated.

The thing is that I use FLMs on the front which have the hex fixed on the axle, so I cant fiddle much with that.
    The rear MIPs also have a special hex which can't be replaced by a "normal" hex because it has an sort of oval hole.

Those Ofnas look great, but they look more like an onroad wheel.

Again, your efforts are much appreciated.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Understand! For my Tekno's I had to buy the kit to convert to 17mm. Currently staying stock 12mm on my P4de though. Its a toughy though man, you might have to go with some dishes. LOL

Here is baldy's truck with the wheels/ tires I was talking about. You might have seen it already.
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldyDaniels View Post
    Oh yeah, and i forgot to mention that I'm running the 2.8 trenchers on 3.2 mt splits and using the My jacked up Project Purple Ford F250 Truck body. Not too much aerodynamics going on here. lol

They look so much better wrapped with rubber....
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    You could still mod your current hexes without causing any other problems, I used .062 piano wire for the pins. Drill 4 holes through the rims keeping their location under the outter flange of the axle nut and into but not through the hex. Cut the pins to the needed length and insert through the rim into the hex, the flange on the axle nut will keep them in place. No more stripped hexes lol....

Quote Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
    You could still mod your current hexes without causing any other problems, I used .062 piano wire for the pins. Drill 4 holes through the rims keeping their location under the outter flange of the axle nut and into but not through the hex. Cut the pins to the needed length and insert through the rim into the hex, the flange on the axle nut will keep them in place. No more stripped hexes lol....
    Good idea, but I have to drill holes in my hardened steel MIP and FLM axles. That will make them less strong and a bit expensive if I ruin one of those.

I saw Baldy's wheels. Awesome looks. Maybe I have to find some 17mm hexes that go over the current 12mm ones.

Hi peter i have had the same probs so today i glued my hexs in the wheels with loctite power flex which is got rubber and epoxy in it so fingers crossed it will work because i love my desperado and trencher combo
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Champion
    How bout 14mm? And you could use Losi Ten-T wheels/tires as I do. they have held up to my MMP/2650, outlasted an ESC already.
    Here:

Last edited by QYKSLVR; 09-16-2012 at 02:50 PM.
    Everything overpowered...

RC Competitor
    Mip makes 17 hexes with the set screws in them. Part #10115
    Last edited by mikeorood; 09-16-2012 at 09:03 PM.

I looked at the MIP 17mm hexes, but those have a round hole where the newer axles have flat spots on two sides to prevent the hexes slipping on the axle. I hate the idea that the hexes come lose. And it would only work on the rear (FLM at the front).

I also considered glueing, but that would make swapping the Trenchers with the G-Locs impossibe.

Those Losi wheels look nice, but I'd rather stick to 12mm for the variety of tire and wheel choices.

Thanks for the options anyhow!

RC Champion
    I am just suggesting a larger hex, because they definitely hold up better to the power of MMP/2650/2400/2200.

But there is no doubt better variety of options available to us in 12mm. I have no doubt whichever route you go you will think long and hard about your decision, and make a good one, you always do.
    Everything overpowered...

Hi peter what mips do you have pinned old ones or new hexes???

Quote Originally Posted by QYKSLVR View Post
    I am just suggesting a larger hex, because they definitely hold up better to the power of MMP/2650/2400/2200.

But there is no doubt better variety of options available to us in 12mm. I have no doubt whichever route you go you will think long and hard about your decision, and make a good one, you always do.
    Thanks for that compliment. I will certainly share it when I made my decision

Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Hi peter what mips do you have pinned old ones or new hexes???
    I have the new keyed ones.

So its a no go on gluing your hexes in the wheels. i have done it because i have the old pinned ones and i tested them to night and are great.hope you find a solution to your hexes mate...peace

RC Competitor
    I saw a post over on URC forum from a guy running a slash 4x4 with the 2400kV that had that problem (which I just had as well, however I have plastic hexes that came with my M6's, I thought they were metal from the photos). He said he ran the stock traxxas wheels with trenchers on them. He used the split spoke 2.8's for the 4x4 pede (this was a Slash MT, similar to my new build). I can confirm some of that in that before I upgraded my drive train and chassis (stock half shafts and traxxas aluminum hexes), I had no issues with stripped wheels using the stock traxxas wheels with talons tires. They seem to be made of some sort of nylon type of plastic where the proline stuff is ABS, which is much more brittle. Those nylon wheels are tough, and traxxas does have some pretty good looking wheels, the all stars which come on the 4x4 pede and the twin spoke all stars (which I really like these and may change over too if I start stripping desparados with the tekno 12mm aluminum hexes): http://vortexhobbies.com/traxxas-jat...774-p-388.html

Anybody know how to unglue tires from wheels.....?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by WiNandLeGeNd View Post
    I saw a post over on URC forum from a guy running a slash 4x4 with the 2400kV that had that problem (which I just had as well, however I have plastic hexes that came with my M6's, I thought they were metal from the photos). He said he ran the stock traxxas wheels with trenchers on them. He used the split spoke 2.8's for the 4x4 pede (this was a Slash MT, similar to my new build). I can confirm some of that in that before I upgraded my drive train and chassis (stock half shafts and traxxas aluminum hexes), I had no issues with stripped wheels using the stock traxxas wheels with talons tires. They seem to be made of some sort of nylon type of plastic where the proline stuff is ABS, which is much more brittle. Those nylon wheels are tough, and traxxas does have some pretty good looking wheels, the all stars which come on the 4x4 pede and the twin spoke all stars (which I really like these and may change over too if I start stripping desparados with the tekno 12mm aluminum hexes): http://vortexhobbies.com/traxxas-jat...774-p-388.html

Heat gun...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by WiNandLeGeNd View Post
    I got a bottle of "ungluer" from my LHS but haven't tried it yet. Had it in the same rack with the CA glue. Some people boil the glue off and some put them in the oven to break it loose. Not sure which of those methods works best.
    One thing I do know; a Doberman catching the tire in his jaws as it blasts by him works quite well! I've had to reglue a number of tires after he gets his daily play time with it. It's great cardio, reflex, and command (Leave it) training for him!

RC Racer
    sl2sh, p4de trail truck

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ROB311952 View Post
    ...put them in the oven to break it loose.
    Worked well for me but you need some good thick gloves... I have been using these for just about every heavy duty job around the house...even pulling logs from the fire! The link is for the XL's but I'm a big guy and they fit pretty tight.
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    I dont want to go to 17mm. I'm not even sure it it is possible with the FLMs on the front and on the other hand I just cant 17mm hex wheels that I like.
    The proline trencher/desperado's also come in the larger 3.8 17mm size. The wheel looked heavier duty than my 2.8's but I don't own a pair.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...