RC Racer

Lightbulb ideas for my new KB

So i have a brand new ken block edition rally coming this next thursday and i was wondering if it would be hard to completely disassemble and dye all the grey parts black. Ive never done a dye job but ive been reading write ups on em and was wondering how hard it is to do to a ken block i want to keep the green parts green and all the grey i want black so the car will be black and green. Does anyone have pics of theirs done like that? Any help would be appreciated.

RC Champion
    I just dyed my Rally chassis black. I also did the steering links, pushrods, and rockers.

Taking everything off of the chassis is easy, just make sure you lay the parts out with the screws so you know where it all goes back.

It was a really easy process. Boil water, add the dye and let it sit for a little while. I let me parts sit maybe 15mins. Take them out and rinse them with cold water.

RC Racer
    nice looking rally. thank you for the info. When mine comes in im going to be doing the same thing and dye it right away so i dont have to worry about cleaning it later to dye it.

RC Champion
    Yea, it looks alot cleaner all black. I don't know why Traxxas uses that gray plastic, it looks so cheap.

For best results, use RIT dye powder, not the liquid.

RC Racer
    got it powder rit dye in black if i leave it in for longer then 15 mins will it get even darker or is there no point in leaving the parts soaking in the dye?

RC Champion
    15mins should be fine. You can do it for longer, but once its black, its done. If you were doing blue, the time in the water would give you different shades of blue.

RC Racer
    ok so once its black leaving it in there is pointless. awesome thank you everyone for the advice and i will post pictures as soon as i get it in and when i get it done. ill take pictures throughout the whole thing and maybe try to do a write up on how to dye a chassis since it seems no one has done an actual write up that i can find.