RC Competitor

Pondering the creation of a SlashPede 4x4 (thoughts / experiences appreciated)

I've been mulling this over for a bit now after looking for decent looking shells for the stampede 4x4 of all things. I came across a (looks are a matter of opinion, and it is of my opinion this is one of the best looking "performance" monster trucks I've seen dimensionally) very good looking slash 4x4 with pro-line tenchers for a 4x4 pede on it and F-150 raptor body for slash from JConcepts. The only significant difference between the two chassis is the length, giving it (slash 4x4) a 12.75in wheel base instead of the very short 11in wheel base.

We know from real vehicles that there's a general ratio of width to length that makes an very good handling vehicle. Since the slash proportions are modeled after real baja trucks, which are some of the fastest off-road vehicles in the world, if not the fastest, I believe lengthening the chassis a bit may promote better handling at high speeds. A shorter wheel base makes a vehicle more nimble on small road coarse types of tracks with lots of tight turns, where a longer wheel base is more stable on larger higher speed tracks (another example is formular cars, which have a similar width to length ratio and again are some of fastest and best handling racing vehicles in exhistance, if not the fastest).

Since the SCT combo produces loads of torque and speed I am thinking the longer chassis would be beneficial for high powered setups, giving the vehicle better stability. Has anyone trun a slash 4x4 with a similarly powerful setup using 2.8 tires and wheels against a stampede 4x4? Given the suspension, drive train and ride height are identicle (if you run 2.8's on the slash) then it would be a direct comparrison of the impact of the longer chassis.

This is what I came across that sparked the idea. This is a slash 4x4 with 2.8 pede tires, but going the opposite way can be done for $50 or less and with little effort.

Here's the thread its on: http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...=149558&page=2

RC Qualifier
    This is my version of your idea, you can really put some power down with the longer wheelbase but you still have to back it down to make the turns lol. I'm running serious overkill here with the RX8 on 4s but it works...

RC Competitor
    I liked the idea so much I went out and bought the parts to convert, $61 at the local hobby shop for chassis, battery hold down (extended one), front and rear bumpers, side bumpers and another rear body mount (slash uses stampede rears in front and back). $15 at the local hardware store to get some long M4 and M3 screws and spacers to raise the mounts. Not bad at all. The rest is a direct carry over, even the RX box fits on the front like in the stampede. I will post some feedback once I get it all done, maybe some pics. I'm pretty pumped about running this thing once its all said and done. In all honesty, I don't expect to loose much if any cornering ability while seeing some reasonable gains in stability. Kinda nice too that I can thow on some SC tires, a SC body and run it in an open SC class if I wanted to race.

I drive around a lot with my buddy, who has a 4x4 Slash with that body you mentioned. We have the same motor (Castle 2650) and he uses a Mamba Monster ESC where I have the Mamba Max Pro. Looking at top speed, there is no difference. In corners, the Slash is more stable and can be controlled better. You lose control over the Pede more easy. When we fool around off road, the Pede is just more fun in my opinion.
    Looking at pure driving capabilities, you are better off with the Slash.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    I did the slash chassis mode to my p4de a couple months back and love it. It handles better, wheelies less , climbs stairs better, and i finally got to put an el camino body on it, which at 21" long was a not a chance in **** on the short chassis. I run 5.3" wheely king mud thrasher tires on revolver wide crawler wheels for a nice size tire look.