Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

mmp sct 2400 first time out

Hey guys, I took the truck out with its new motor and esc from castle. Well it ran pretty good but wheelies where not on demand, im using a 17t pinion, it would do it every now and then but I also have a rollcage so that might be a factor. It does that annoying slow cogging thing with light throttle and then screams away and no cogging sound, like it has a burst of power before it runs normal. Last but most important I ran for maybe 10 mins and it got pretty warm ( no temp gun yet) and the fans were on the whole time. I run a 3s 6400 25c lipo. I am thinking the cage could be a factor in this as well, maybe meshed slightly too tight, I did use the paper method though. Any thoughts? so far not impressed.
    Last edited by mattstang2007; 09-14-2012 at 12:15 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Check your slipper, it's probably not tight enough. Set the motor timing to the lowest setting and get that heat gun so you know where your at tempwise...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
    Check your slipper, it's probably not tight enough. Set the motor timing to the lowest setting and get that heat gun so you know where your at tempwise...
    +1
    i had this problem when i changed to all metal spur/pinion. Slipper was too loose and it didnt wheelie. Soon as i tightened it, wheelies all the time now

RC Racer
    im going to say its your lipo...mmp with the 3800kv would do that on 2s 25c...then i moved up to the mmp with the 2400kv and also went with the spc 3s 50c 5400mah and havent had any cogging since. remember these motors are power hungry. mine will now wheelie no problem. i also did the slash chassis conversion, so its a little heavier than a stock p4de now, and still wheelies no problem

RC Racer
    I will see I ordered a gen ace a couple days ago its a 4s 5000mah lipo and I think it's a 40c, that should do the trick. Then I hope all is good for a while or wifey is gonna kick me.
    Last edited by mattstang2007; 09-14-2012 at 07:23 PM.

This could also be a brownout caused by the extra fans drawing too much power for the esc to power. Which servo are you using? Some servos cause big problems with power.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Racer
    It's a stock servo

RC Racer
    with a 40c i would say that you will see a big change in how it runs...i use fans on both my motor and esc, with the spc lipos i have never seen a brownout...when i was using the 25c 2s with the mmp and 3800kv, i was seeing that, my steering servo would actually quit working, now not even a glitch.

RC Qualifier
    My experience with the 2400 was similar to yours, I didn't like it. Tried different firmware but the startup was always rough and I ran it on 4s, I pulled it in favor of the sensored Tekin Rx8 and couldn't be happier. I know many people like the 2400 system here but it wasn't for me. Even the MMM 2650 is much better IMO, I run one of those also on 3s and with the right firmware the take-offs are very smooth in comparison and there's gobs of power without temp issues...

RC Racer
    I wonder if I should have gotten the 3800. or maybe take it back if they will take it, I was wanting a tenshock with the wp hobby wing set up, it's way cheaper too. idk what to do.

RC Qualifier
    Unless you only want to run 2s I wouldn't go to the 3800 if your running stock sized tires. I guess you could try to swap the 2400 motor for a 2650 and run the same pinion. Try the different firmware options if you can and see if there's one that works better than the current one your using now.

Just my opinion or maybe personal preference here but from my point of view a LOT of people are sticking these huge power plants int he Pede and they are causing too many issues. I am very happy with the two set ups I have used both with the MMP ESC and either the 5700kv 4 pole or the 3800kv 4 pole. I dont have heat issues , can run between 45-48 mph all day long on 2s and the stock drive shafts, the very same ones that came with the truck when I bought it back in March are still in pristine condition. I am pretty confident the 3800kv motor could handle 3s if I felt the need for more speed but I just dont for the conditions and location I drive in.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    I want to stick with 3&4s lipos. I will just see if I can't make it better, like you said by checking some stuff out. If all else fails I think castle would send me a new motor if I wasn't happy. We will see. 45-48 mph is fast enough for me. I'll call castle on Monday and see what they can do.
    Last edited by mattstang2007; 09-14-2012 at 08:56 PM.

RC Racer
    i started with the cc sv2 with the 3800kv in my p4de. but the esc, even with the mounted fan would get very warm. so i went and got a mmp to go with the 3800kv, thats when the cogging started. only thing i can point it to is the lipos, they was all 25c, and good brands, one even being a traxxas. so i found a 2400kv on craigslist, brand new for a good price, popped that in my p4de with the mmp, and went with the spc 50c 5400mah and couldnt be happier. fast, runs good and no heat issues at all. now on a side note i put the sv2 with the 3800kv in my wifes p2de, gave her my 2s lipos, 25c all ranging from 5000mah to 5800mah, and wow. that truck runs great, no cogging, wheelies on command and no heat. imo seems the sv2 3800kv combo is just a little to small for a p4de, the esc at least, but great on the p2de. also if you use the mmp with the 3800kv, you better have a high c rating on your lipo, or you may see cogging

Quote Originally Posted by mattstang2007 View Post
    I want to stick with 3&4s lipos. I will just see if I can't make it better, like you said by checking some stuff out. If all else fails I think castle would send me a new motor if I wasn't happy. We will see. 45-48 mph is fast enough for me. I'll call castle on Monday and see what they can do.
    I'm not trying to change your mind or anything but if 45-48 mph is all you are looking for you really dont need that much motor and surely dont need 3s or 4s.

You already have the system adn the batteries I think i would just be expecting more speed than the 45-48 mph, I would be looking for more in the 60 mph with that set up.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Just my opinion or maybe personal preference here but from my point of view a LOT of people are sticking these huge power plants int he Pede and they are causing too many issues. I am very happy with the two set ups I have used both with the MMP ESC and either the 5700kv 4 pole or the 3800kv 4 pole. I dont have heat issues , can run between 45-48 mph all day long on 2s and the stock drive shafts, the very same ones that came with the truck when I bought it back in March are still in pristine condition. I am pretty confident the 3800kv motor could handle 3s if I felt the need for more speed but I just dont for the conditions and location I drive in.
    True to a great extent, much of it boils down to how and where you run and the tire weight and size. I run predominately short grass and my preference is adequate power for my personal taste without any concerns of heat issues. You get exactly that with the larger systems, they can be tuned to limit output if so desired. I couldn't run your setups without heat issues where and how I run but that doesn't mean others couldn't. They obviously work for you but I'm a believer in the larger systems over a marginal setup, they just work well for me but again it comes down to conditions and driving styles.

RC Racer
    I do like the fact that if I want, I can go fast, kinda why I got a 4s just for speed runs, on the same pinion 17t. So I guess the whole going to a 3800 would not be for me. My main thing now is should I have gotten a tenshock/leopard. That 4s will probably be the decider for if I made the right choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
    True to a great extent, much of it boils down to how and where you run and the tire weight and size. I run predominately short grass and my preference is adequate power for my personal taste without any concerns of heat issues. You get exactly that with the larger systems, they can be tuned to limit output if so desired. I couldn't run your setups without heat issues where and how I run but that doesn't mean others couldn't. They obviously work for you but I'm a believer in the larger systems over a marginal setup, they just work well for me but again it comes down to conditions and driving styles.
    I really dont view my set ups as marginal at all. I see them as well suited for what I wanted and with the 3800 room to go faster if I felt the need. It is my belief that these larger systems meant for 1/8th scale trucks really just punish the drive line more than improve performance,,,well to some extent. No doubt you can get more speed out of them than you can the 1/10th scale systems I run but you need a beefed up drive line and more battery to do it. All this costs $$$. If you really use the extra performance then it is all good but I bet many who build these trucks in that manner rarely if ever use all that power. This thread is a perfect example, the O/P says he would be happy with the very speeds I am running yet he is going to have a lot more $$$ tied up in his truck with the bigger system a beefed up drive line and batteries to power the truck.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    I thought the 2400 was for a 1/10 not a 1/8. I kinda figured I would need a little bit bigger motor anyways to help with the rollcage weight. the scale I used tells me my truck is about 7-7.5 pounds. I have the VG rollcage, heavier lipo packs so yeah she's pretty heavy.

RC Qualifier
    No your setups aren't marginal for you but they would be for me, that's my point. Everyone has to find there own setup that works for them under their operating conditions. I don't like to run high motor temps so if temperature is an issue a larger motor should run cooler doing the same work. I run the MMP/5700 4 pole in an E Firestorm on 2s and that works fine but I also run the 3800 in another E F on 2s and find the temps lower and more power on tap but both do the job. The minimum for me in the Pede 4x4 is the 3800 running smaller S/T tires, on 3s it's all I could ask for but I wouldn't run that setup with the larger/heavier tires, motor temp would be an issue.

RC Qualifier
    I thought the 2400 was for a 1/10 not a 1/8. I kinda figured I would need a little bit bigger motor anyways to help with the rollcage weight. the scale I used tells me my truck is about 7-7.5 pounds. I have the VG rollcage, heavier lipo packs so yeah she's pretty heavy.
    The 2400 should work for you, just try to get it tuned to your liking... try some of the other firmware options to see if you can get the startup smoother and drop the timing to 0..
    Last edited by Rastus; 09-14-2012 at 10:03 PM.

RC Competitor
    Castle states the 2400kV is meant for 6.5lb trucks or lighter. Obviously you can run that motor in a heavier truck without issues (lower gearing), but as Rastus suggested, with 17 / 54 and trenchers I would set the timing advance to lowest (0 deg) or gear down one tooth just to make sure you keep running cool and don't over tax the MMP. Depending on ambient temps though you might even be able to run 18 / 54 with 0 timing advance (Thomas P and a few other's have run 19 / 54 with stock advance and had the VG roll cage, although I'm not sure of their temps or the climates). Having no timing advance will shave a bit off the top end RPM, but it will keep the motor in its highest efficiency range, thus the least amount of waste heat. As castle states, its better to gear up than to advance for more speed ;-)

Lastly, if your motor is running very hot with that gearing and your sure you don't have any binding (sized bearings, improper gear mesh), you might have gotten a bad 2400kV. I had a bad one, it ran, but it ran excessive hot and seemed to be sluggish until the truck got moving, but like you it wouldn't pull wheelies at most speeds other than lower or if I hit a bump and nose bucked. Once I got my replacement from Castle, what a difference! This thing will light up all fours at just about any speed, it truly is power on demand. I could be doing 35 ~ 40, hit the throttle the rest of the way (maybe 5mph short of wide open) and they instantly balloon and the truck just rockets away. Remindes me of top fule dragsters :-), love it! Hope you get it all sorted out.

RC Qualifier
    I recently upgraded to the sidewinder + 3800 kv castle system and now that I got a working system I love it. 15t pinion and no fan on the motor I see temps at 130 or less. It's 35 mph or so and I can finally pull back flips off my little ramp.
    To each their own but it sucks to be disappointed after installing a new setup.

RC Racer
    Well I got my field programmer in today, I put zero timing and put 10% punch control. don't know if will help much but I'll find out tomorrow. I did run it a second time tonight (before I got the fc) and the motor was warm but by no means hot and I was doing some on and off high speed runs. I dont know why it's temps felt different from earlier. it was a little cooler out but not by much, well I'll se how it runs with 0 timing and some pc, tomorrow.

Dont forget 10% punch control will lower the power during acceleration. A temp gun is a must have. You cant tell differences when the temps go higher when you use the finger method.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Racer
    yeah with the pc I was just gonna see if it would help get rid of or lessen that sudden surge I get when I pull the trigger, cause weather I punch it or slowly squeeze the trigger, I get that slow response then she takes off.

Maybe you should try the latest firmware.

Edit: Just downloaded and updated to the latest Castle Link software (3.52.9) and MMP firmware (1.38). Tried it for a minute in my Bandit/Rustler and it still has that moment that it takes off faster, but my idea is that it is less than before. I never got rid of it, not even using older versions.
    Last edited by Petertje60; 09-15-2012 at 01:09 AM.

RC Racer
    A note in the package says castle sends out all products with the latest firmware, I did read some people said that the older firm ware helped. Never hurts to check it though.

A note in the package says castle sends out all products with the latest firmware, I did read some people said that the older firm ware helped. Never hurts to check it though.
    I edited my previous post. Latest firmware is just a few days old. That probably wont be installed in yours.

RC Racer
    ok cool I'm trying to get it now then.

RC Racer
    Man, that was some excellent advice. Seriously that update made that problem 80% better, still some sluggishness but no where near as bad. Can't believe there is that much difference, thanks man. One quick question would it bad bad to up the bed from 5.5 to 6, I have stock servos. Thanks Agian, maybe they will eliminate that problem totally in an update.

Glad it helped.

If you dont have problems with the power and speed of the servo, I would leave it that way. You can increase the voltage, but that means more stress on the MMP BEC, which isnt the most powerful around.
    If it aint broke, dont fix it.

RC Racer
    true on the if it's not broke thing, I was thinking maybe that would help that studder some more. I am also thinking maybe tightening the slipper, as suggested before, might get rid of the rest of that slop/clanking. I have teknos in the back so they should be able to handle the power.

I think increasing the voltage would sooner make it worse instead of better. Your BEC is demanding more power, so the MMP has less left for motor control. Dropping one or two teeth on the pinion will increase smoothness of acceleration.
    Not sure if you ordered that 4S brick already, but I would earlier look for a more capable 3S than for a 4S. I used a 5200mAh 3S 40C when I had the MMP/2400 combo. SPC has a 5400 3S 50C for less than $60 atm....

RC Racer
    Lol yeah it's being shipped right now. To bad to, cause thats the price I paid for the 4s, gen ace was having a sale so I though I would give it a shot.

I sort of did the same, lol. I got a 4S mainly for speed runs with my Bandit, but of course also tried it in the Pede. Just insane. Almost impossible to control and a quite increasing risk of ruining parts. And I even have a very gentle throttle finger...

RC Racer
    yeah I hear 4s I just a beast, so I have to find out for myself. However, I myself have a heavy throttle squeeze.
    Last edited by mattstang2007; 09-15-2012 at 02:47 AM.

I agree. Some things you just have to experience yourself. As I often say: read my signature

RC Racer
    I defiantly agree with that sig my man.

RC Qualifier
    Check the start power setting on the MMP and make sure it's set to low, the higher settings will give you that big power surge at light throttle too but the firmware makes a big difference sometimes also on the attitude of light throttle application.