Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast

Hmmmm.....Still trying to work the kinks out of the heat issues i've been having!

This has been mind boggling for a little while now. I just dont get it, well havent gotten it, or however you want to state it. LOL I still have the truck on the table by my current Rustler build waiting in line for some attention. I was going to hit it up after I was done with this, but i'm at a hold on that build. I started by splitting the rear bulk from the chassis. Pulled the upgraded slipper & motor and checked the motor mount bearing and same for the slipper. All are good. If you remember I was here a few weeks ago and checked the motor bearings and they spin like butter. Just going through and double checking areas i might have missed. So far everything is looking good. Cleaning everything up along the way. I even checked the CF tail boom just to see if it might be rubbing or binding, none whatsoever. Ummm just baffled.

Since I have the rear separated from the chassis I start inspecting the carrier bearings. I hear/ feel something kinda rough on the passenger side wheel area. Kinda hard to tell where its actually coming from. Is it the output bearing, not sure. Unbolted the wheel and separate the camber link from the carrier and spin the shaft smooth on the bulk side. Urrrr....I think split the shaft and put that side back in the carrier, its grinding really bad. Oh shoot one of the bearings is bad. WooHooo. I change both of those out. Yay, smooth as butter again. I did the same to the driver side to. While I'm there I tear the bulk in pieces and inspect the diff and those bearings also. Cleaned them up and they still feel really good. I bolt all this back up and set it to the side.

Thats what I've found so far and where I stopped at. I'll be moving to the front to check all the bearings and such. You know 4x4's and and CC 2400kv motor make it tough to find something binding. LOL I knew I was going to have to do this and hope this is what is caused extra binding and heat related issues.

Any input on your thoughts??
    Last edited by DiggerPede; 10-13-2012 at 08:11 AM.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    Is your wheelie bad a shortened slash wheelie bar or is it a full size stampede bar that just looks shorter from angle of pick?
    Stampede 4x4 vxl
    Traxxas 1/10 Rally

Quote Originally Posted by Sandine Motorsports View Post
    Is your wheelie bad a shortened slash wheelie bar or is it a full size stampede bar that just looks shorter from angle of pick?
    It's the stock wheelie bar mount. I just didnt mount the wheelie bar itself to it. I bolted up the plastic wheelie bar wheels if I do a wheelie and it hits the back. Most of the time if I mash the throttle it does a backflip. LOL
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    What is heating up? Try the hot component in another truck to see if runs hot there also? You may have already addressed my question, but I am in thread skim mode right now.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    What is heating up? Try the hot component in another truck to see if runs hot there also? You may have already addressed my question, but I am in thread skim mode right now.
    I'm halfway through the truck. So far I have found one bad bearing in the passenger carrier. Not sure if that's enough to cause that much heat or not. Next up tear into the front end and check for binding and worn parts. Gearing and Mesh shouldnt cause it to heat up like it does.

I guess I could bolt this puppy up on my Rusty build and slap a new motor in the P4de if that is the fix for the motor.

BTW I scanned through some of your youtube vids last night. The one of the carpet racer, testing the video cam, & of course your daughter running at the park. Good stuff there my friend. You should check the one out of my little guy. I can link it to you if you want. He's 4 yrs old. I might have an RC racer in the futrue.
    Last edited by DiggerPede; 10-15-2012 at 08:19 AM.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

I tore into the whole truck. Inspected & replaced a couple of bearings that were feeling a little rough. Cleaned & repacked the front diff. That now feels and pulls better. Yesterday after work I put the rest of the truck back together and got it ready for an evening of fun. I'm geared 14/54 and it still runs a little warmer than what I thought. Not way hot to the touch or anything, but no way I could leave my finger there more than 10 seconds. I didnt have any 3s packs charged so I ran a 2S 5400 50C & 2S 5000 40C. I was able to run both of those packs for a little over an hours time. That was WOT on 2S, powersliding and running through manicured grass at a school playground. I'm going to charge a 3S pack up tonight for a run tomorrow and see how it runs. I'm still not impressed with how warm this is running. Maybe its just me. I'm going to take my temp gun with me tomorrow and see for sure what the actuals are. I know the difference between warm and hot. At least one good thing the speed control stayed cool, but the fan did kick in most of the run.

Should I gear down more than 14/54?? I would have thought I could gear higher w/o any issues. No bad bearings or binding anywhere. Could there be somthing wrong with the motor itself?

I'm going to take it on another run tomorrow with 3S and a temp gun and double check everything.

I'm uploading pics of my new lid. They'll be up shortly.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Hi digger do you think that your motor is not a 100% because you should not have to go lower that 14t to keep it happy.why dont you email castle to see if the winding inside is not faulty.any way i hope you get it sorted man.......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Hi digger do you think that your motor is not a 100% because you should not have to go lower that 14t to keep it happy.why dont you email castle to see if the winding inside is not faulty.any way i hope you get it sorted man.......peace
    Yeah I don't know man. I've had the motor over a year already. If I was to send it in and them do warranty work since its out of warranty it would could me $90. I'd be better off buying a new one from ebay for the same amount maybe. I have a rustler build i just completed. I may bolt this up to it and see what it does. Worst it could be used there with no problems and grab another motor for the P4de.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

I just got off the phone with castle. The guy said I should run 12T with trenchers. Guess I'll see what happens. I'm also going to take my Temp Gun on my next outing and see if my digits are giving me false readings. LOL
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Ok its just some people say they are running 17t pinions with trenchers and that its all good.take the temp gun because your fingers can sometimes get it wrong lol.but keep testing and get a sweet spot that makes you and your motor happy bro.....peace

Thanks man. Yeah I've been working with it for a while. I'm not really worried about speed with this truck. I'm going to let the temp gun tell the story and go from there. I told him it was hitting 160-165* he said don't worry about that. I do though. Most my rigs are geared to stay around 140-150* and geared way higher. Anyways. I'm going to test it again. If the worst I have to do is gear at 12T, I'll be ok. Maybe down the road slap another motor in there.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Maybe take the motor apart and give it a good clean and make sure the bearings are lubed up with good oil that may make it run better its worth a try man.......peace

New Raptor Body for my P4de

I was going to put this on one of 2wd Stampedes. No plans of losing the Digger lid so my P4de was dying for a new look. This is the Parma Raptor body wrapped in Widow Maker by AMR Racing RC for a Stampede. Here's a couple of closeups of the lid. Check it out hope you like.

Hood:

Bed:

Tailgate:

Drive Side View:

Full View:

.....TBC.....
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Now To The Pics of The Truck

.....Continued.....

Now to the good pics....LOL

Thanks for looking.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

That truck looks hardcore dude have you had chance to check your bearings in your motor yet and give it a clean.......peace

RC Enthusiast
    WOW thats awesome!

RC Qualifier
    Sure is bad as!

Thanks fellas! It really changed the look of the truck. I used to run the JConcepts Gate Crasher body on it. Even though I liked it, this one here makes it way meaner look'n.

That truck looks hardcore dude have you had chance to check your bearings in your motor yet and give it a clean.......peace
    Not yet. I have a couple of upgrades going on at the moment. I got my 1/10 Rally 4WD in Tuesday and slapping a bigger motor in it. Also putting a big block in my little boys MERV and a few other upgrades to it. LOL

BTW I a few months back Petertje told me to bust into the motor and check the bearings and they all spun perfectly w/o any resistance. Maybe I just need to move up to the next line of castle motors. Like the 1512 or 1515. I have thoe 1515's in my EMBE and ERBE, and the 1512 in my Sl4sh. haha
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Awesome....I see the Autobots insignia.

I'm going to try a few other things to help try and cool this puppy down. I ordered a HR Heat Sink/ Fan & HR Heat Sink Motor Plate. If anything this should drop the temp by at least 15-20* hopefully. I want to keep my gearing at 14/54 at least. We shall see. LOL

This was cheap $20 for both, can't hurt. LOL
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

It will make a good temp drop dude and maybe put some vent holes in the windshield to let cool air pass over eletronics and feed the fan as well thats what i do will my hobbywing pro and tenshock 4 pole. Works like a dream ......peace

Update: Installed HR Motor Can Heatsink/ Fan & Motor Mount

Yesterday the mailman dropped off a package of much needed upgrades for the P4de. I was super excited to get these installed on the motor. It didnt take no more than 20 minutes to mount these up. Mainly unbolting and bolting back up. I had to put a JR connector on the end of the fan cable. I've used the HR Motor mount and love the design with the heat sinks. You can't argue the $10 price tag on it. I was also impressed with their Motor Can Heatsink/ Fan. It fit on perfectly. Just not sure of their call for the gunmetal color. More of a bronzy shade. LOL

I took the truck for a spin in the yard. I had a blast for a full pack of over 40 minutes runtime. I ran my finger over the motor and this helped it drastically. I think this is going to help it tons.

Here are the pics of the parts installed.

As always thanks for looking and commenting.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Looks really good Digger! Looks like that hr fan will move some air. I really like all the hr products I have bought. I like the fan/ heat sink design. I had a integy fan that really didn't impress me. It made a lot of noise. The HR motor mount really adds some bling. Wishing I had one.

That fan and motor mount will help drop your temps good man tell us what you think after a run or two......peace

I threw a 3S pack in and ran it WOT for the full pack. After the run I took the temp gun to it 120*!!!! Yay. I had an all out blast.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III ~ using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice Body...

120 now thats much better dude now maybe go up in pinion size to a 15-16t and see what temps you get then..peace

120 now thats much better dude now maybe go up in pinion size to a 15-16t and see what temps you get then..peace
    Yessir way better!! My thoughts exactly, maybe jump to 16T.

@ RC-FAN. Thanks bro. It fits the truck really well.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

With a 16t i think the temp with be spot on and it will fly dude...peace

Update: Added LED Light Bar

I purchased the Traxxas Led Light Bar a little while back. I finally dug in my parts bag and said hey I need to slap this on. Installed it the night before. Hooked up a pack and took it for a spin in the dark. Man does it shine bright. Perfect truck for some late night driving on the streets. LOL

Anyays here are the pics of the Led Light Bar installed.

Thanks for looking.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    I like it Digger. I bet that does look cool cruising around at night. Good job!

Sent from not a iphone

You just made a cool truck even cooler nice 1 digger....peace

RC Champion
    looks real nice Josh!
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

Thanks guys. I'm starting to have a hard time picking what truck I want to drive these days. haha.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

I say video or it didn't happen!

Funny thing is that I mounted 4 leds in exactly the same position. Sadly I connected 2 x 2 in series where I could use a bit more voltage to get the most light out of the leds. When I resoldered them to put them all parallel and the weather allows it, I will post a vid.

Of course your solutions looks tons better....
    Nobody is born with experience

^^ You a funny guy ain't you?? I'll have to charge up some packs and see if I can get some video footage of it. Sounds like you are going to make me get the ole GoPro HD out.

Can't wait to see you vid.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Yeah vids dude ...peace

Lol. I am too lazy at the moment to resolder them. Maybe I will make a new set. I found 100 LEDs for a few bucks and they even are pretty good.
    I will make my Pede look like a rainbow in the dark!
    Nobody is born with experience

Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Lol. I am too lazy at the moment to resolder them. Maybe I will make a new set. I found 100 LEDs for a few bucks and they even are pretty good.
    I will make my Pede look like a rainbow in the dark!
    And people could see it from space too...peace

So last summer '12 I smoked the MMP. This one i have a receipt on for possible warranty. I contacted Castle Creations this morning about shipping 2 Speed Controlls at the same time and asked if I could upgrade the Mamba Monster to the MM2. She said yes you can, you can do the same with the MMP to. I said heck ya. So during lunch I went to the post office to mail these off to Castle. They will be there Monday. Anyways for a flat fee i'm getting 2 MM2 for the price of a brand new one. When that one smoked I went ahead and purchased a new MMP because I didnt want to wait. Well now I'll have 2 to sport around. Yahoo!! Can you tell i'm excited?!

So hopefully in a month I'll have 2 MM2's to piddle around with.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore