Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast

Thumbs up DiggerPede's: P4de Upgrades

Hey guys! I'm going to put all my upgrades and hopups on one thread. Here is a small recap on what I have going on with my truck. Also here is a list of current upgrades from stock.

Upgrades:
    CC MMP ESC Smart Sense ( unsensored/ sensored )
    CC 1415-2400kv Brushless motor
    Geared 14/54 on 3S
    Traxxas Motor Plate
    Traxxas Clear Gear Cover
    KingHeadz Motor Mount w/ Oversized Bearing Adapter
    MIP X-Duty CVD's on all 4s with CF heli tail boom slid on them
    STRC Gunmetal C-blocks
    STRC Gunmetal Steering Knuckles
    STRC Gunmetal Rr Carriers
    STRC Gunmetal Wheel Hexes
    RPM Fr/Rr A-arms
    Proline Powerstrokes 45wt Silicone Oil
    Proline Universal Shock Mounting Kit
    Proline 2.8 Desperados/ Trenchers
    CF Heli Tail Boom to protect the Center Drive Shaft
    Black Outerwears Shroud
    JConcepts Gate Crasher Body
    ProMatch 3S 5400 50c Lipo
    Traxxas 3S Battery Extension
    LVA- For extra Protection

Here are the pics of my Rig.

Here is an under the hood shot. I know everyone likes those. LOL

MIPs with CF tail boom slid on them.

A quick jump shot my wife took. That's my handsome little guy in the back with his MERV. My little RC partner in crime. LOL

The Gate Crasher is a love it hate it kind of feel. I like it so.....LOL It's way banged up now, I have something new in store soon!!

As always I feel like i'm leaving something out. I have some new stuff i'll be posting up shortly.

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by DiggerPede; 09-14-2012 at 08:59 AM.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Sweet list, buddy. Mine isn't that different.
    That body has something. Not saying that I would definately get one, but it just has something.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Enthusiast
    Mate that is one tough truck. I love it! Great taste in mods and that's the first time I have seen that body and liked it. You've nailed that build.

RC Competitor
    I didn't know STRC made aluminum C-blocks. How is the durability of those C-blocks compared to the traxxas ones? Also why so low of a gearing, you should be able to run 16, 17 or 18 / 54 with that motor and battery with decent temps (140 to 160 range)? Unless you got a bad 2400kV like I had where I could only run 13 / 54 or 14 / 54 and see temps in the 170 to 190 range...Nice build though and some good choices overall.

Quote Originally Posted by WiNandLeGeNd View Post
    I didn't know STRC made aluminum C-blocks. How is the durability of those C-blocks compared to the traxxas ones? Also why so low of a gearing, you should be able to run 16, 17 or 18 / 54 with that motor and battery with decent temps (140 to 160 range)? Unless you got a bad 2400kV like I had where I could only run 13 / 54 or 14 / 54 and see temps in the 170 to 190 range...Nice build though and some good choices overall.
    In my mind, STRC aluminum parts are the gold standard... Along with FLM.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Quote Originally Posted by WiNandLeGeNd View Post
    Yeah STRC makes some good stuff. Traxxas, FLM, & REM also makes some great stuff too.

Motor temps have been in the 140-160* with no issues really. I was geared 20/54 a month ago, but the ESC went out on me. Not sure what caused it, never had a burnt smell but was a little warmer than normal. I didnt have my temp gun with me so i'm not fure sure what it was at the time. I'm going to send that ESC in and see it is still warrantied.

On the 2400kv motor what have you heard and what was the fix? New bearings??

Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    In my mind, STRC aluminum parts are the gold standard... Along with FLM.
    Very good stuff, plus many colors to choose from to decorate your Rig with.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    cool truck!

Update: Savox SC-1258TG, Glitch Buster, & Rearranged ESC & Rx

Updated my P4de with a Savox SC-1258TG Servo. I have the same one installed on my Sl4sh and its one mean puppy. I can't believe how much torque and how quick this sucker yanks those Trenchers side to side. As always these need a Glitch Buster when running a CC MMP. Today I ordered a CC 10A BEC to test on a handful of my Rigs.

I also rearranged the location of my components. I moved & velcroed/ tie strapped the MMP to the front of the truck for better airflow and away from the motor down in the pan of the chassis. I took the Rx out of its waterproof box and velcroed it by the Servo. Luckily I run an Outerwears Shroud so this will keep all my goodies in place and protect them from any little chance of water getting on them. I think it came out real clean and am better impressed of how it looks now. I'm hoping this will keep my electronics running cooler.

Now here to the pics:

Savox SC-1258TG Super Speed Titanium Gear Servo

A couple of side shots:

You can see how I coiled all my wires from the ESC & Servo:

Switch velcroed on my shock mount. Let see how this does. LOL

...just a little bit of what I have going on. Now time to get this sucker on the road. Next the CC 10a BEC in the coming weeks and the difference in performance. This will allow me to get the full 166.6oz of torque and 0.08 of speed.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Do the RPM arms not support the suspension guards? I really rely on the guards.

That my friend is one top quality trucklove it
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Digger....how did you do the project cabbage wheels like you have been posted in the gallery section.....bling bling!!
    SUMMIT,EREVO
    P4DE,MERV

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAFAN View Post
    Digger....how did you do the project cabbage wheels like you have been posted in the gallery section.....bling bling!!
    Yep. Still got them. LOL Waiting to burn that set up then mount for use. Can't believe you remembered.

Project Cabbage Wheels

I got the 3M wrap from a buddy. I cut them then fit in place, pressed them on in all the creases, then used a blow dryer to form fit. I have since purchased a heat gun that would have worked way better.

I take it you like them. They only catch the eye of select people.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III ~ using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    the strc gun metal parts are awesome i used the same list on a sl4sh nice truck

When I look at that MMP, I am quite sure it doesnt have the latest firmware....

Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    When I look at that MMP, I am quite sure it doesnt have the latest firmware....
    You can see right through the outer casing?? LOL This is the new one I just purchased and installed a couple weeks ago. I believe I updated the firmware when I made my settings changes. I'll double check to be sure though.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    You can see right through the outer casing?? LOL This is the new one I just purchased and installed a couple weeks ago. I believe I updated the firmware when I made my settings changes. I'll double check to be sure though.
    The latest version is very recent. Just a few days old.

Thanks man! I'll go scope it out this evening.

1.38 Beta 09/12/12 •Minor changes to over temperature behavior
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Nice build Josh! I'm ready to make a P4de with all the extra sl4sh parts I have.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    Nice build Josh! I'm ready to make a P4de with all the extra sl4sh parts I have.
    Do it man! You can't never have enough RC's. I like to dabble in all the different areas.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Thats awesome digger, Great list of upgrades there, and the 4x4 is looking great. Some line up u have U dont just own several RCs, but they are all hooked up... Sounds like anouther 2 guys I know
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Champion
    Do it man! You can't never have enough RC's. I like to dabble in all the different areas.
    I'm torn between building a p4de and using that old trce chassis that I have and making another sl4sh

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by AbSoLooT1 View Post
    Thats awesome digger, Great list of upgrades there, and the 4x4 is looking great. Some line up u have U dont just own several RCs, but they are all hooked up... Sounds like anouther 2 guys I know
    Sounds like me too!

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    I like that body, I dont like that body... I cant decide.

Cabbage rocks!
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Champion
    kriptonight gold, like it. finally somebody post a flip flop paint job. most of my bodies are either kriptonight gold, or purple chrush.

nice rims. that looks like a good idea, but time consuming i bet.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    I like that body, I dont like that body... I cant decide.

Cabbage rocks!
    LOL Ummmmmm....You know you like it!!! You know I did all that work and put the tires back in the package they come in and the wheels are in theirs to. I'm saving them for when my other set burns up. Which they seem to last a very long time. I'm really digg'n their tire wear.

Quote Originally Posted by ajcar View Post
    kriptonight gold, like it. finally somebody post a flip flop paint job. most of my bodies are either kriptonight gold, or purple chrush.

nice rims. that looks like a good idea, but time consuming i bet.
    Thanks man! It really looks sweet in different angles of light. It's really really easy to paint to.

Yeah the rims took a little while. They go good with that flip flop color. I'd have to paint another green body for those though. I'm actually not running them at the moment.

I will have a surpise for you guys coming up real soon. A new body and some work on it.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

The latest version is very recent. Just a few days old.
    So pretty much looking at everyones cuz they are all out of date Including all my Castle ESCs... I just downloaded the updates, now to plug in all the speed controls.
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

I updated to the latest firmware (1.38 beta) from castle. I'm still have some premature heat issues. I don't know why. I think I'm going to bust the truck a part and check to see if I have any binding anywhere. I've double checked the Slipper and gear mesh and they are good to go.

If I get a chance I think i'm going to take the truck out this evening and use the IR temp gun. None of my other motors in my trucks get as hot as this thing does. Not sure if you guys remember but my last MMP went out on me a few months back.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Maybe worth to check the motor bearings if you already didn't do that. Good luck hunting the cause. The stock bearings in my 2400 were not the best IMO.

Maybe worth to check the motor bearings if you already didn't do that. Good luck hunting the cause. The stock bearings in my 2400 were not the best IMO.
    Hey! 10-4 .... I'll check that out. Really kinda hard to tell unless you tear into the motor. I might just go ahead and replace that anyways with something good. Any good recommendations? Avid Bearings?
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Hey! 10-4 .... I'll check that out. Really kinda hard to tell unless you tear into the motor. I might just go ahead and replace that anyways with something good. Any good recommendations? Avid Bearings?
    Those are the ones I got for the torque monster. It seemed as it ran smoother than ever before.

Those are the ones I got for the torque monster. It seemed as it ran smoother than ever before.
    Kewlness!! Appreciate it. I"m going to try that first and see what happens.

The 1400 series motors use a 14mm x 5mm x 5mm, double shielded, double sealed bearing. Removing the bearing can be tricky though because it it pressed into the endbell. The rebuild kit with the 5mm shaft uses the same bearing. The actual shaft on the regular 3.2mm rotor is actually 5mm where it rides on the bearing; we just machine it down from 5mm to 3.2mm when it exits the motor. So you can use the stock 3.2mm rotor or the upgrade 5mm rotor with the same endbell/bearing. This was a reply from an email to Castle support with your exact question.

I would also like to note that if you buy a motor rebuild kit it will come with two bearings. You can only replace the one bearing in the endbell because the other one is epoxied in. Even if you remove the three screws at the back end of the motor it will not come off easily.
    I just found this. I was looking for the bearings size. So you are only able to replace the one without the kit?
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

I just used 5x14x5 Ceramic Metal bearings. 5 bucks a piece, but worth it IMO.
    I remember having a hard time getting the one on the end bell out, but I managed to do that.

I remember having a hard time getting the one on the end bell out, but I managed to do that.
    Sounds good my friend. I just ordered 4- 5x14x5mm ceramic bearings & more 5x11x4mm to have on hand.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

I guess I'll have to update my MMP's too. I don't think I've updated my older one in ages.

I like the gate crasher when its painted up as good as you do.

I guess I'll have to update my MMP's too. I don't think I've updated my older one in ages.

I like the gate crasher when its painted up as good as you do.
    Thanks man. That means a lot. It looks totally better in person. I need to slap some drywall tape and shoe goo under the lid, its had some rough abuse lately. LOL Fun times though.

I have a new awesome lid for this truck right around the corner. Just finding time to hit all these projects up.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III ~ using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    fyi, it's official, my next build will be a sensored p4de truggy!

I pulled the motor a part and checked the bearings as good as new. Guess i'm going to start tearing from the carriers in and look to see if any binding or bad bearings. I just can't figure this one out. The gearing shouldnt be a problem, 14/54. Slipper and gear mesh are right on. Hmmmmm!!!
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    fyi, it's official, my next build will be a sensored p4de truggy!
    Bring the build thread on! You aint missing nothing here on the coast, been pouring its butt off for an hour and a half. But it would be a perfect day to work on RC's though. It's a bummer that i'm at work!

Oh did I tell you there is a Pharmacy that carries Traxxas/ RC parts. I havent stopped by yet, a friend of mine told me. Next time i'm in the area i'm going to stop in and see what they stock and the cost.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

That's it, I'm buying that lid. I've been thinking about it too long.

That's it, I'm buying that lid. I've been thinking about it too long.
    Funny you say that. I'm fixing to paint up a new shell and do a body wrap on it. LOL I have the Proline SVT Raptor 3348-00 i'm prepping for paint. Uploading the pics and posting them up shortly of the progress.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore