RC Competitor

is it possible to make Opti-drive sensor as a speed sensor?

The current speed measure for the nitro models is based on the rpm of the engine, which is apparently not accurate, especially for those model with 2nd gear.

I dont' know the details of how opti-drive system works. But there is a sensor monitoring the main shaft, which could provide a accurate speed.

So I'm wondering whether it's possible to using opti-drive sensor as a speed sensor or somebody has already made it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you take a look at the transmission case of the E-Revo/Summit/E-Maxx you can see that it has the space to install the optidrive sensor there, in fact, long time ago (12/2009) I made a small circuit to measure the speed based on that sensor... I have a video somewhere but this is how it started:

Other radios, like the Nomadio or Spectrum (same as Traxxas) use a magnetic sensor (hall sensor) to meassure speed on the main shaft...

Can be done? Of course! Let's wait and see if Traxxas releases a better way to meassure speed on two-speed and nitro trucks...
    Last edited by danielhr77; 09-14-2012 at 12:16 PM.

RC Competitor
    great experiment.
    there is an led on opti-drive unit blinking while the shaft rotating. so maybe a Y wire from the led could serve as a speed sensor. all traxxas needs to do is set the correct parameter in the app, or add the function for calibration of the speed in app.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    If you take a look at the transmission case of the E-Revo/Summit/E-Maxx you can see that it has the space to install the optidrive sensor there, in fact, long time ago (12/2009) I made a small circuit to measure the speed based on that sensor... I have a video somewhere but this is how it started:

Other radios, like the Nomadio or Spectrum (same as Traxxas) use a magnetic sensor (hall sensor) to meassure speed on the main shaft...

Can be done? Of course! Let's wait and see if Traxxas releases a better way to meassure speed on two-speed and nitro trucks...
    traxxas better do something less expensive. my receiver only has two sensor ports. I don't want to get a telemetry expansion.