RC Racer

2nd NiMH Battery Looses Charge Right Away?

I just took my Rustler Xl5 to run on a dirt track. The first battery I used was a Duratrax 5000 mah NiMH Battery which lasted pretty much the whole 25 minutes, then I waited about 15 min for the motor to cool down.
    After I put on the traxxas 3000 mah battery and that was when I had very little run time A Lot less than usual when I use this battery. I bought the rustler like 2 weeks ago and that traxxas battery it came with would
    work fine the other times I'd use it. Just today it seem to die out really fast, after using the Duratrax battery and waiting 15 min. I would just like to know what can be the problem? I'm using a dynamite megapeak charger by the way. I charge on 4 amps.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    How soon before running did you charge the packs? How warm is a pack just when the charge cycle is complete? Have you ever or do you routinely run the packs down until the vehicle barely moves?

RC Racer
    I charged both of them the same day prior to running them. Sometimes they do get pretty warm, pretty much hot but I can still touch them and sometimes they dont get hot. Yes, I run the packs down until the vehicle barely moves.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    When charged from near empty a fully charged Nimh pack should peak at around 110F to 120F. This temperature should be taken immediately following the charge completion. Most Nimh packs self-discharge very quickly and perform their best when run while still warm right after charging. Not all Nimh packs self-discharge at the same rate which could account for the differences in performance you recently saw between the two packs.

Running any current RC battery pack down until the vehicle barely moves will damage the pack and this applies to Nimh packs. Doing so even just one time will cause irreversible damage to one or more cells in the pack. To save battery packs and improve cycle life, stop running the RC vehicle as soon as you notice a big drop in performance.

RC Racer
    I see. A lot of good info here. I'm definitely going to stop running the battery when the speed of the rustler starts to decrease speed noticeably. I also contacted Traxxas Support and it looks i'm going Charge my 3000 Mah battery on 1 amp and my 5000 mah battery on 4 amps. Since my Mega Peak Charger only gives me the option of choosing 1 amp or 4 amps. So now in conclusion I want to shoot these two questions out.

1. Say if I charge a Nimh Traxxas Mah battery and I dont run it on my car for a long time, can that damage the battery?

2. Is there a difference with A Dynamite Mega Peak Charger and a Thunder AC6 Charger in regards of just using Nimh batteries?

RC Racer
    Forget the 2nd question, I already know the answer to that.

Another question i have is that when I use a fully charged battery and use it for a little while,(Still having alot of its charge)
    can I recharge it or do I just run it down from the RC car?

RC Racer
    Feedback would be nice.