RC poster

Evx2 replacement

Just switched from 2 6 cell 4200 nimh to 2 venom 5000 7 cell. Emaxx ran for 5 min then kaput!!! Esc didn't smoke or anything(lights still work) motors are ok! Traxxas said they would send me a new one (mine is 3+yrs old) said it had low volt det, my ? Is y would the lvd help not being a lipo and is the new esc gna break again ?

RC Champion
    I think they were just trying to tell you that the new EVX-2 they are sending has LVD built into it. It won't do anything for you if your using NiMH batteries. In fact, a lot of guys have reported issue with trying to run NiMH batteries while the ESC is in LiPo mode.

Are you sure the ESC. That went kaput just didn't go into thermal protection mode?

RC Qualifier
    Make sure your esc is not in LVD mode if you plan on using nimh. If the led is red you are set for nimh (LVD off) if it is green you are set for lipo (LVD on)

I believe thre is an over voltage protection if you have LVD on. (not sure, though, others can chime in on that)

Since nimh run higher voltage than lipo this could give you some trouble. (if LVD is on)

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC poster
    M n m I'm not sure if it's in thermal protection mode. Prob because I don't know how to check that or change it. If u could give me some idea how to check I will GREATLY appreciate it! Also I'm still kinda foggy on if you guys think that this new esc will actually work for those batteries. I hate to think that they r just gna keep blowing my esc's up

RC Champion
    Thermal protection is something that protects the esc from over heating, this can't be switched on or off.
    The batteries should be ok,
    If the lvd is on, it will activate early, shutting off the esc with nimhs giving a short run time.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Champion
    Yeah like Trax said… It's not a feature that is turned on or off, it's built into the programing of the ESC. It's suppose to protect it from getting hot hot and burning up.

RC Enthusiast
    if the lvd is on (green light) and you have 7 cell nimh batteries the truck likely won't move because the esc will see too much voltage. Light will flash red/green repeatedly. This indicates over voltage. You will have to turn the lvd off to get it to run properly.

RC Champion
    Hopefully they will send it in nimh mode and you won't have problems, but some people manage to get "stuck" in Lipo mode because the ESC won't allow them to switch out of Lipo mode because of over current.
    Doublethink: 2+2=4 while 2+2=0

RC Champion
    If you want to set it to nimh mode go to post 11 click me
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.