Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: froze up at 60!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

froze up at 60!

I charged up the 3 cells and took off to do a few speed runs.I was running my 3.3" foams and 27/45 gearing and first run ran a 56.1 with the stock body. Then I topped of the battery charge and put the Slipstream body on. About 3/4 through the run the car slid sideways and stopped! I tapped the throttle wouldn't move. Pulled the spur gear cover and tried to turn the spur won't budge!
    Won't have time to pull it apart but---
    What do you think happened? ??????

If this is going to be a pool of bets: Rear diff locked up?
    Does the motor move when not connected to to the spur? Can you spin the tires? Center shafts?
    The Super Derecho

I had something similar once. Appeared to be a screw in the motor plate that came lose and binded with the spur.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Only thing I checked(and was worried about) backed the motor away and spins fine.
    I am running the hr trans gears!

RC Qualifier
    Check the diff. If its spinning check the axles under the car. and then check the tranny. Then the motor.

i'm saying diffs or tranny gear, maybe spur gear bearing time to do a little tear down 1 thing at a time.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i have acer ceramics hope it's not that! i have heard of the hr trans gears breaking .
    front diff was clicking!

RC Qualifier
    i wanna say one of the screws in your center drive shafts came loose and locked her up.
    MERV VXL + Rally VXL + Stampede Xl5

when my rear diff was clicking it locked up a few times thats when i noticed it was bad and needed replacement, now its good shimmed and everything new gear and pinion and diff oil 60K

RC Qualifier
    Motor is off the mount, then I'd say a broken gear in the tranny since your using hr metal.
    Maybe all that power you have and the sudden flip cracked a piece of the tranny gear
    Last edited by Daddykins; 09-13-2012 at 05:11 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So I had some clicking in the front diff.had 5 shims in there! Took it apart and found the inner pinion bearing had shattered! Wasted the ring and pinion but the bulkhead is actually salvageable
    Last edited by 50togo; 09-13-2012 at 08:32 PM.

i can see why your bulkheads are ok there alum. nice color on those. looks like a bearings broke apart

question the bulkhead with the a arm attached is that a crack on there next to the a arm+pin? looks like or is that dirt.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Just little lines not cracks. Had to pull out the loupe to make sure!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Just little lines not cracks. Had to pull out the loupe to make sure!
    ooh good looked like it. i cant stand when i take something apart and then find that its broken only after i placed my order and its already shipped.

What gear is that thats broken? looks like the tranny. that really broke

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Makes me wonder if the stock gears would have held up better or not...
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    yep the hr steel gears crazy! they sounded cool but good thing i had a spare trans. ordered a 7093 gear set to have on hand. kind of glad to get rid of them lot of rotating weight .didn't really pay attention how heavy they were .had to suck some power! when the 7093 comes in i will weigh the two to see what the difference is

never had a problem with the stock gears!!

aluminum got marked up a bit!

oh ya that was a acer ceramic that came apart
    Last edited by 50togo; 09-13-2012 at 10:37 PM.

like i say sometimes its best to leave things stock

I have the idea Acer will be gone from the fav list....
    Looks sad. Glad you found the problem.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    Hey 50, sorry 'bout the Acers, I know how psyched you were when you got them
    Merv: Neu, MMP

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yep I hope all the others hold up. What a pain new ring and pinion, shim it, run it, reshim it. And all because a bearing failure! Put the Traxxas back in again!

RC Competitor
    well finding out a acer bearing nuked on you then tells me i don't need to shell out the $$$$ for them, a question on your diffs do you use something like graphite for a dry lube? also how highly would you recommend the alum bulkhead an alum gear box for making the drive train more bullet proof

i know i wont be buying those think i might give avid bearings a try just to see how they are because i've had a few traxxas bearings give out on less than 2 runs.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I use Sullivan's dry ice on the ring gear goes on wet and dries leaving a Teflon coating. Don't use grease!
    Since going aluminum haven't had a problem (other than the bearing) and reshiming. Before I was going through a set every few weeks

I do have 30+ more Acer bearings in there! Will see how they hold up and the baca ceramics in the neu
    Last edited by 50togo; 09-14-2012 at 12:43 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Funny I just found the gps after the merv locked up I forgot about it and I just found it. not bad!

RC Qualifier
    Ouch. Sorry to hear that.
    I'm surprised at the bearing going like that.
    Was there a slight drag when driving?
    Wouldn't the bearing start seizing up slowly.
    Who knows if the stock tranny would of held up from that.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    With it being in front and with a powerful motor not really. First run ran 56 and it pulled strong. Only noticed the classic clicking when braking which means front diff

RC Qualifier
    Soon as you said what it did I knew. Doesn't meen it def would have been, but I watched mine do 90* slide on a HSR and was like cool until I got to it and picked it up. Nothing would turn it was like someone jammed a spike right through the drive train. As soon as I opens the tranny I saw what I had seen when rock crawling my Yota W/ 35s. All I found where bearing rings, I had no more balls or a center diff which had snapped and locked up a plastic tranny. Only one broken gear, your lucky. I wouldn't discount those bearings. Based on the extremes they are put through they hold up all right. We're the tranny gears aluminum, if not I'm surprised you used them. Oh well 70/30 has its day, put it back together do it again well be waiting.
    BB MERV/T8 Rusty/OS21REVO
    Drive it like its Hot

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The gears are supposed to be hardened steel ..only reason I used them I picked them up cheap and heard they are strong and sounded good when jamming

RC Qualifier
    I bet it screamed a pretty tune. Kind of like Schumachers Ferrari. Something's got to give. Sorry to hear it was two trannies. Surprised something that small and hardened could break like that. I love torque.
    Drive it like its Hot

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sounded great!
    I was worried about neu and esc! Spinning happily at 50,000+ rpm and then ground down to a halt in a split second! I am over 300 ft away and it is in the middle of the road so I hit the throttle nothing happens.
    when I backed the pinion away and the motor spun I was more than relieved

RC Qualifier
    Wow what did I miss! I can't believe you shattered those hardened steel gears and ceramic bearings! That Neu is a monster power plant! Goes to show, good things come in small packages!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ha! Yep. Now back to putting some stock traxxas pieces to the test!

RC Champion
    LIVE ACTION!!!

I had one of my slayer lock up the other day and I though all heck had broken loose. I found the front drive shaft U-joint pin lost the e-clip and lodged into the bulkhead....I was never happier to find broken parts in my life. I was sure I "taco'd" the diff!

Have you tested the stock tranny gears with your setup yet? I would like to know what they are capable of

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I was running stock gears before didn't have a problem
    emailed Acer they wont accept a pic of the bearing I have to send it to them

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Took the car out to break in the ring and pinion so I can pull it apart to reshim.
    Wow! Without the metal trans gears it's quiet! Was worried because I stepped on it a bit and without all that noise it didn't seem as fast!
    Kind of nice being quieter then again kind of miss the whine of the gears!
    Even with small foams, 28/45 gearing, 40% punch and a mean throttle curve it would still wheelie when I hit it.look what happened to the wheelie bar!

haha do you have another wheel for the wheelie bar? i like my rc quiet when its noisy i know something is wrong but with my emaxx now the tires are whats noisy on that sounding like its a huge truck coming down the road. i've never opened up my tranny to check anything in there as its been quiet in there since i got it.
    wondering does anything like slipper clutch, any light grease or anything have to go in there like on the gears over time?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yep that is my 2nd I think I bought four of them

I don't think the trans gears need anything but I put some Sullivan's dry ice on them for a little lube

wheelie bar wheels do go fast i'm seeing the one on my emaxx getting worn but its not the orignal wheel so its ok later on i'll get it though.
    I'll have to check tranny out inside since its down right now still. asked a friend if he has an extra front skid plate.

Your merv is a little lighter now without those steel gears on there thats a good thing

RC Qualifier
    Yup, lighter n faster because of it. We'll be ready
    For new numbers. Ever looked into aluminum? If your tranny is sealed they should still run smooth. It runs plastic stock so I think aluminum would give you a little mOre tooth strength without the mass of weight straining the high end bearing and you'll get that sound back. Shweet.
    Drive it like its Hot