RC Enthusiast

Bent shock shaft

Hey folks,

My rear shock shaft comes out of shock body straight but then has a bend in it. Result is, when the wheel is pushed up all the way it gets stuck because the bent shaft gets stuck in the shock body. I have to pull it back out.

It's a stock shock. Should I try to bend the shaft back or replace with a different type?

RC Enthusiast
    I would say.... Yes.

I have sucessfully bent stock shocks so that they are straight again so I can get back running, and i am also saving for a better shock.

RC Qualifier
    I've done that a few times to my rear shocks. I just bend them back best I can and keep running.

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    You can replace them with titanium. But I just bend my shafts back.
    2x Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    Cool I will bend it back. I'll also look at getting spare titanium shafts, can you get the shaft only or does it require a whole shock replacement?

RC Champion
    You can buy the hardened shafts in a package of two for about $10, and they work very good and I have not bent a one of the hardened shafts yet!!!!!

Once a shaft has bent and you straighten it, the metal becomes stressed and weakened and will bend easier each time it is put to use......
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by orca44 View Post
    You can buy the hardened shafts in a package of two for about $10, and they work very good and I have not bent a one of the hardened shafts yet!!!!!

Once a shaft has bent and you straighten it, the metal becomes stressed and weakened and will bend easier each time it is put to use......
    +1 straitening a shaft may get you by for the time being but it will bend easier adn easier every time. its best to swap it out as soon as possible. and i have not used the hardened shafts on a slash yet but i have on a t-maxx and i never bent one on there after replacing it. shattered the shock body, didnt bend the shaft though lol
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    I really like how the titanium shafts look, they look so much better than the silver.
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitteh298 View Post
    I really like how the titanium shafts look, they look so much better than the silver.
    They do look better and they are also a bit larger in diameter which seems to make the shocks seal better.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by brianfromoregon View Post
    The shafts in your post are threaded on both ends so I don't believe they will work on the stock Slash shock. The Slash shock uses a cir clip to hold the piston valve in place.

The part # for the hardened steel, Titanium Nitride coated shaft is #1664T.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

which shaft is that for? front or rear? different lengh shocks will require different length shafts, so im assuming 2 part numbers for front and back.
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Enthusiast
    This is a rear shaft. In the parts list I see this. Is the idea that front shocks would take 1664T and rear would take 2656T?

1664T Shock shafts, hardened steel, titanium nitride coated (long) (2)........ $10.00
    2656T Shock shafts, hardened steel, titanium nitride coated (xxlong) (2)............................................... .................................................. ........ $10.00
    1664 Shock shafts, steel, chrome finish (long) (2) ......................................... $3.00
    2656 Shock shafts, steel, chrome finish (xx-long) (2) .......................................... $3.00

RC Enthusiast
    Another route, getting the big bore shocks for $50 which come with titanium shafts...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by brianfromoregon View Post
    Another route, getting the big bore shocks for $50 which come with titanium shafts...
    And aluminum shock bodies, which will not wear as fast as the stock plastic....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Murraugh View Post
    I would say.... Yes.

I have sucessfully bent stock shocks so that they are straight again so I can get back running, and i am also saving for a better shock.
    I disagree. I say scrap it... Just get some new ones. Stock ones are a couple bucks, but better yet TiN shafts are 10 a pair. Big bores are way to go. IM the kind of guy id rather upgrade before it happens, before I get down time while bashing... I have limited time with work and all, and usually have a crowd watching the bash session. Little limitating breakages, are no bueno for me... Scrap it and replace! better yet, upgrade!
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..