Thread: Thanks all...

RC Enthusiast

Thanks all...

...but eesh.

Thanks to the folks on here, I ordered up a bunch of stuff for our Slashes to increase reliability and add to the fun factor. Got a bunch of it in the mail yesterday and today and spent some time getting things setup.

First step today was the Velineon. Even at 19/86, this thing really moves compared to the Titan. I spent a good deal of time upside down, in the boonies and everywhere except for the track It certainly showcases every shortcoming I have as a driver. And it certainly showcases the limitations of the stock shocks on the Slash.

Next step was the ProLine PowerStrokes. Absolutely can't say enough about the build quality of these things. Didn't install them yet, since I forgot my blue LocTite at work, but its top of list tomorrow after work.

The STRC bearing carriers aren't installed, but I'll probably do them with the shocks tomorrow. Great looking units.

And finally the Boca bearings. Haven't put them on, and probably won't until I have an issue, but I can definitely see the improvements in the seals over my stocker bearings.

I'll let everyone know my thoughts as I put more on.

Rod

no problem man, glad your happy with your selections. and fyi, if you really want to move i just recently switched down to a 76t spur and 23t pinion. it brought my motor temp up to about 150 which is still plenty in the safe range and with just a 2 cell lipo and stock tires i can be going half speed and up to then if i squeeze trigger to hard it lift the front end thats at 1/4 turn slipper adjustment.
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Enthusiast
    Put the Powerstrokes on and what a difference. Same weight oil as the stockers, same ride height, but coming off of jumps I can get myself pretty well bent out of shape and still stick the landing and continue on. Better control on the corners as well. Overall, just a much nicer shock than the stockers.

Additional question: I've been trying to find out if the Velineon ESC is programmable. Anyone know? I'd like to flatten out the torque curve a hair as I think its much too peaky as it is. This may be the nature of the motor, but I see some ESCs allow for some throttle "aggression" settings, so I was hoping there was something like this available on the VXL-3? I'm going to raise gearing today and see if that helps with wheel spin and controllability.

RC Champion
    I don't think the velineon esc has an adjustable throttle curve. The adjustments you can make are from race mode, (100% throttle, 0% reverse) sport mode, 100% throttle, 100% reverse) and training mode. (50% throttle, 50% reverse)
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

No you can't program the velineon esc.

If you want to a programable esc, look at Tekin or Castle brand. Guys at my track use Tekin to run their trucks in two different classes (stock and mod) by changing timing at the workbench.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

try 23/86 gearing and see how you like it. im actually running 23/76 gearing on mine. with 1/4 slipper adjustment it wont keep front end down still lol
    Drag It!

RC Enthusiast
    Yep, bumped to 23/86 and it helped quite a bit, so I'm going up to 23/83 when I finally remember to bring my temperature gun home.

im not sure if they sell an 80t spur gear? but if so i recomend going to that. or just jump strait to the 76t spur like i have the smallest pinion you can run with the 76 is 23 it seems. atleast mine is all the way at the stock end of adjustment for it lol
    Drag It!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    No you can't program the velineon esc.

If you want to a programable esc, look at Tekin or Castle brand. Guys at my track use Tekin to run their trucks in two different classes (stock and mod) by changing timing at the workbench.
    So is that explosiveness the ESC or the motor? Or both? I guess what I'm asking is if a new ESC would allow me to mellow the throttle response down to a controllable point, while still keeping some of the great top end, or if I need to be looking at a new motor? Or both?

Rod

RC Qualifier
    If you turn the transmitter to 70/30 there is more room for finger error gives you more control in foward but less in reverse.

RC Qualifier
    Lots of people run the velineon motor with a castle ESC. People think it is a great motor for some reason.

I like 70/30 for just the reason he said. You will have to recalibrate your transmitter to the ESC. Do not change it with the truck on or it will take off.

Samsung Epic - Tapatalk 2
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitteh298 View Post
    Lots of people run the velineon motor with a castle ESC. People think it is a great motor for some reason.

I like 70/30 for just the reason he said. You will have to recalibrate your transmitter to the ESC. Do not change it with the truck on or it will take off.

Samsung Epic - Tapatalk 2
    Glad someone caught that.

RC Enthusiast
    Yep, did the 70/30 right off. It just seems like the power delivery isn't at all linear and I don't know if I should blame the ESC or the motor (or both?) Hate to plop down more cash without having something a little more solid to go by. Anybody want to buy a hardly used VXL3 and 3500?

The castle esc's punch and throttle set how hard it takes off when you pull the trigger, and then how hard it pulls through the power curve. You can set them very light for a beginner.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitteh298 View Post
    I'm one of those guys who ran an old sidewinder/vxl 3500kv on 2s, and later an MMP/vxl combo on 3s. Good power and reliability.

RC Qualifier
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ8mo-IY38g

Jang says this cheap motor is more linear in power.

RC Enthusiast
    The castle esc's punch and throttle set how hard it takes off when you pull the trigger, and then how hard it pulls through the power curve. You can set them very light for a beginner.
    So which ESC would you recommend, O.G.? Sidewinder SCT? I assume I'll also need the CastleLink stuff to really program it?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdodge44150 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ8mo-IY38g

Jang says this cheap motor is more linear in power.
    I was eyeing that one up, and that link is what made me question whether I needed a different motor, versus an ESC. And I was ready to pull the trigger, however the only place I can find that sells it is Hobbypartz.com and they're always out of stock on everything

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by PushRod View Post
    I was eyeing that one up, and that link is what made me question whether I needed a different motor, versus an ESC. And I was ready to pull the trigger, however the only place I can find that sells it is Hobbypartz.com and they're always out of stock on everything
    Welcome to the waiting game. When I want something from hobby partz I just wait and check the site once a day till they have it. There are a few motors like that one they just have slightly different kv ratings but also cost about 10$ more. So maybe a little higher or lower kv depending on what you want the truck to have more torque or more speed. They do need to step it up on their stock though. But everything I have got from them I have been impressed with. great place to get fans too. Hard to find a 6v fan.

So which ESC would you recommend, O.G.? Sidewinder SCT? I assume I'll also need the CastleLink stuff to really program it?
    The sidewinder sct is a MMP with a green sticker, and that would be a good choice up to 6s if you have the funds. If not, go for the sidewinder because it's also programmable, but really limited to 2s; some guys run 3s on it with an eye on temps.

Yes you'll need the traxxas link or field card for either one of them you choose.

RC Enthusiast
    The sidewinder sct is a MMP with a green sticker, and that would be a good choice up to 6s if you have the funds. If not, go for the sidewinder because it's also programmable, but really limited to 2s; some guys run 3s on it with an eye on temps.

Yes you'll need the traxxas link or field card for either one of them you choose.
    I'll be sticking to 2S for the life of this truck, but the SCT appears to be priced similar to the Sidewinder V2, so I'll go SCT. Traxxas Link? You mean Castle Link, right? I see there are several Sidewinder SCTs with the 3700 motor on eBay, so maybe I should just go that route and sell the entire Velineon setup?
    Last edited by PushRod; 09-19-2012 at 08:02 PM.

RC Qualifier
    The Velineon setup is perfect for young kids that want more power than the brushed Titan.

The Castle Sidewinder V2 and the Sidewinder SCT are THE SAME EXACT ESC with one exception, the newer Sidewinders have a fan built in.

BTW, the latest iteration of the Sidewinder has female bullet connectors ON the ESC itself. You plug the motor wires into it directly. Does away with some of that extra wire. I just got one in the mail from Castle today.

Also, someone mentioned Punch Control earlier. Castle says don't use it. Doesn't work right. They suggest you do the motor test and use torque control.

I'll be sticking to 2S for the life of this truck, but the SCT appears to be priced similar to the Sidewinder V2, so I'll go SCT. Traxxas Link? You mean Castle Link, right?
    Oops, yes you are correct. Castle link.

I say, run the guts out of your velineon on 3s, then get a castle. Lol

Here's the deal on the MMP: it can power anything including the eRevo, so it will be an esc that will stay with you for years. The sidewinder is more limited.

RC Enthusiast
    I say, run the guts out of your velineon on 3s, then get a castle. Lol
    lol If the throttle linearity sucks on 2S, I can't even imagine it on 3S. Is there somewhere that has the Castle specs on their ESCs? Things like number of turns max, amps, BEC voltages, etc? I can't seem to find a thing on Castle's website.

RC Qualifier
    lol If the throttle linearity sucks on 2S, I can't even imagine it on 3S. Is there somewhere that has the Castle specs on their ESCs? Things like number of turns max, amps, BEC voltages, etc? I can't seem to find a thing on Castle's website.
    Believe it or not 3s is better except for the last 20 ish percent. I just cant use it. I think all it is good for is breaking things. Doesn't matter what gearing either.

But when I turn the throttle end point down to 60 65 percent. There is a lot more control. Makes it feel more linear.
    Last edited by bigdodge44150; 09-20-2012 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdodge44150 View Post
    But when I turn the throttle end point down to 60 65 percent. There is a lot more control. Makes it feel more linear.
    I agree bigdodge.

Is there an endpoint adjustment on the tqi? I reduce the endpoint on my track slash with my futaba 3pl to about 70% which makes the truck run smoother through entire throttle curve.
    Last edited by O.G.; 09-20-2012 at 04:14 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    There is an endpoint adjustment on the TQ. Did that tonight after the animals went to bed, so I'll give it a run tomorrow and see what happens. Also stepped down to the smallest spur gear I had here (83T). Thanks for the advice everyone.

Rod

RC Enthusiast
    So I gave up on the endpoint setting. I (think) I followed the instructions to the letter, but no matter how many times I did the endpoint setting, I ended up with no throttle at all. I did however find out that the Slash VXL at 23/83 and training mode is exactly the same speed as Slash/Titan with stock 19/90 gearing and full sport mode. So at least the kid isn't whupping me on the straights anymore Its still got that oddball throttle curve with a sudden hit at about 1/2 throttle though, just not as pro-nounced and fairly easy to control now. But I decided to bite the bullet tonight and ordered a Mamba Max. Need to buy the CastleLink cable and I'll be set up....
    Last edited by PushRod; 09-23-2012 at 11:12 PM.

RC Qualifier
    A mamba monster?!?! Nice!

Just the speed controller though?
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    Whups. Meant to say Mamba Max, not Monster. And just the ESC for now. Ill see how it and the Velineon get along and decide from there. Really thinking hard about a Tacon unit.

RC Qualifier
    Whups. Meant to say Mamba Max, not Monster. And just the ESC for now. Ill see how it and the Velineon get along and decide from there. Really thinking hard about a Tacon unit.
    Great to hear I have the fly sky gtb3 tx endpoint is simple has a screen made on it. My buddy has a tq with no ipod dock. I don't see how you could adjust anything with a blinking light. Very confusing. Let us know how that mamba acts for you.