RC poster

esc and motor from spartan, what project can i do.

I installed a leapard motor and a sea king 180a esc in the Spartan. Now I have the brushless motor (rebuilt by caslte) and the esc laying around, and no one bidding fast on fleabay. Does this esc have to be water cooled or can i add cooling fan and fins...

What kind of project can I shoe horn this into? A fast little track car, a bashing truck.. ect... I was even thinking of building a snowmachine from scratch... Any suggestions would be great.

Id rather not build another boat. Already have one.

RC Champion
    I test fit the Spartan motor on my Rustler and it fits with no issues. The Spartan motor is a lot more powerful than the 3500... right?
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Champion
    The Spartan motor is a 1800 kv motor and direct drive, the truck Slash motor is a 3500 kv and in a car or truck you go through a transmission with gear reduction. So with that said using the Spartan motor you can see that it will turn fewer rpm's and slower speeds. You still have plenty of torque as the Spartan Castle motor is a 4 pole.

Most trucks run on 2s, but if you use a Spartan motor in a rc truck you will need to most likely need to run 3s. And since the Spartan motor was designed to run on 4s to 6s I do not think cooling will be an issue.

The Spartan Castle motor is longer and may stick out a bit too much but what the heck, testing this stuff is part of the fun!!!!
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    can I run other motors with a traxxas vxl6 esc .. i have one hooked up and ill im getting is a green blinking lights and beeps non stop
    XO-1,SLASH 4X4 ,SLASH 2WD , 2/RUSTLER

RC Champion
    You can use other motors with the vxl esc. Just make sure the motor you wish to use does not exceed a 120 amp current draw which I believe is the current rating of the Spartan ESC.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    It has to be a sensorless brushless motor, and I believe the stock ESC are rated for 80 amps continuous, 360 burst.

I don't have the manual in front of me to confirm, but I think those are the rated amps.

Hog

RC Qualifier
    ok thanks for replyin dont mean to jack my mans thread
    , guess both my esc are fried 180a and vxl6s because they both hesitate as I give it throttle , I tried my 120a car esc and it works .. how much of a risk do I take trying out the boat in my pool with car esc .. just wanna see if this thing takes on any water before i invest in another ESC and whatever else it might need .
    XO-1,SLASH 4X4 ,SLASH 2WD , 2/RUSTLER

RC Qualifier
    I wouldn't advise running in a pool. This boat is fast when it hooks up. Even going easy on the throttle you are risking smashing it into the side of the pool.

There are only a few places water will get in if all is sound, through the hatch if you flip or submarine it and you are not sealed up with tape, through the rear vents if you run in reverse or have a following wave, around the stock silicone water jacket or leaking water lines.

Hog

RC poster
    I just ordered a art attack snowmobile nitro version. They sell a motor conversion transmission I will mount the clutch directly to the motor's shaft so I don't loose any rpms.