RC Enthusiast

Question Velineon Motor Temp. How Hot Is Too Hot ?

Velineon Motor Temp. How Hot Is Too Hot ?

Does Traxxas list somewhere in the actual specs an operating temp limit/range for these motors ?

I've been searching and have read a wide variety of temps being acceptable, some as high as 200F. All of the temps were opinions and I never found a link to any real data.

Is it in my manual and I just overlooked it ?

How about the ESC ?

RC Qualifier
    After one month my velineon is fried, I must did the power up deal with traxxas, 2200 MMP is on the way. I would monitor temps closely, I only relied on low voltage cutoff with the ESC. HUGE mistake, my motor locked up at 55 mph...it wasn't pretty.

motor damage occurs right about 200 degrees...after that, the motor can run hot, start to lose magnet strength and lock up. ideally, try to keep your temps under 175.
    Associated rc8TE, rc8.2E, B4.2, Ofna LX2E, Slash

RC Enthusiast
    Have you guys found that the small heatsink/fan combos actually help ? How about the fan for the ESC ?

Our cars (3 of them) are stock and currently using Nimh's. I do have a few 2-cell/5000/25C/7.4v Lipo's hidden away.

I would rather spend a few $'s keeping our stuff cool as opposed to having to use the "Power~Up" form.. Lol...

RC Qualifier
    You are going to have to monitor your temps, wish i had taken it more seriously

Quote Originally Posted by Aahhyes68 View Post
    Have you guys found that the small heatsink/fan combos actually help ? How about the fan for the ESC ?

Our cars (3 of them) are stock and currently using Nimh's. I do have a few 2-cell/5000/25C/7.4v Lipo's hidden away.

I would rather spend a few $'s keeping our stuff cool as opposed to having to use the "Power~Up" form.. Lol...
    w

The Integy heat sink with single works great! It is a good way to help keep your motor happy. I have heatsink with single fan on both of my trucks
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC poster
    Ive found most replacement motors have a thicker outer metal casing that probably helps with head dissapation, the stock motor can is pretty thin, so a heat sink on it might do a fair bit to help

The best way to keep your motor cool is mounting it to a big piece of metal like an aftermarket motor mount or the Traxxas Ultimate style mount. I make it a point to keep my motor temps below 160F. Anything higher and you either have a gearing problem, or some other problem like old bearings etc... causing excess friction, and you need to take action to protect your motor. I tend to get the right temps through gearing and then leave it like it is.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...