RC Qualifier

Question high pitched noise, less power?

Hi,

My first proper run out with trenchers and pulled some great wheelies, until a high pitched noise started happening on full throttle. Truck still runs really well, but just slightly less power, and more high pitched noise on acceleration. Less wheelies. What do you think the problem? I'm guessing its to do with the slipper, but not sure. checked the gear mesh and all seems okay.

Thanks in advance...

Probably your clutch that is slipping.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/...=Video0011.mp4

tighten the slipper, yeah? can they just loosen by themselves?
    Last edited by cossack4; 09-12-2012 at 12:39 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by cossack4 View Post
    http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/...=Video0011.mp4

tighten the slipper, yeah? can they just loosen by themselves?
    I had to tighten my slipper after it loosened up by itself as well.... The Pede started squealing and refusing to do any wheelies. I removed and tightened the slipper, and it was back to its old self of quick power, less noise, and wheelies on demand.

Yeah man its the slipper alright.if it keep getting lose put some blue threadlock on it and when you need to change the pads or the whole thing you still can
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Snotwalker View Post
    I had to tighten my slipper after it loosened up by itself as well.... The Pede started squealing and refusing to do any wheelies. I removed and tightened the slipper, and it was back to its old self of quick power, less noise, and wheelies on demand.
    While the lock washer nut can come loose with use, it's more likely the slipper pads and the slipper surface got a glaze on it from the slipper being too loose, or from getting a lot of use. First thing I would do is take it apart to see if there is a shiny glaze on the pads. If so, you can replace or remove the glaze with some fine grit sandpaper and reassemble. Give the slipper itself a little rub with the sandpaper while it's out.

Or you could just make sure the slipper is 1/4 backed off from tight and give it a try.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    I adjusted it the easy way, by putting the spanner on and rolling the truck forward slightly. Now it wheelies all the time, think i might need to back it off slightly. I haven't got lipo's yet so i'm guessing its okay to have it fairly tight? What are the dangers of having it too tight? I do run MIP's on the rear.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by cossack4 View Post
    I adjusted it the easy way, by putting the spanner on and rolling the truck forward slightly. Now it wheelies all the time, think i might need to back it off slightly. I haven't got lipo's yet so i'm guessing its okay to have it fairly tight? What are the dangers of having it too tight? I do run MIP's on the rear.
    What do you mean "putting the spanner on?" If there's an easier way to tighten the slipper without disassembling the back, I'm all for it! Makes field adjustments obviously easier.

RC Racer
    What do you mean "putting the spanner on?" If there's an easier way to tighten the slipper without disassembling the back, I'm all for it! Makes field adjustments obviously easier.
    If you remove the clear guard that protects the driveshaft, you can access to make adjustment from the top.

Its mentions how to make the adjustment in the manual. Page 21 I believe. But mentions nothing about removing the guard. Was the guard something that was recently added, or did the Stampede 4x4 always have it?

RC Competitor
    Hmmm... it would seem to be harder to remove the driveshaft guard than to remove the back assembly for accessing the slipper.

RC Racer
    Hmmm... it would seem to be harder to remove the driveshaft guard than to remove the back assembly for accessing the slipper.
    Yeah. it looks like a few other parts may have to be loosened or removed to remove the guard. I may either remove the guard all together or remove some material on the guard to get access to the adjustment nut.

RC Qualifier
    Yes you need to remove / loosen: motor/ esc / receiver. It sounds like more work, but i find it easier / quicker because getting the back end back on can be tricky. Each to their own. All i will say is adjust in small amounts and test.

RC Qualifier
    It's easy to get the back module back on if you line up the shaft with the hole in the differential and make sure you don't move the wheels when you slide it in. Or if you get close but not quite, sometimes turning the wheels then will pop it right together. Once you do it a few times, it's quicker than taking out the motor/esc/receiver, PLUS it allows you to clean/sand the pads, get any sand out from around the dif, check bearings, etc. that you can't do the other way.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I have had it off a few times for other things, I will probably end up doing that more regularly, just couldn't be bothered last time!!

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    A "spanner" is a wrench in The Queens English correct?

Thought so... Were gonna need a translator for you guys across the pond in a couple of years lol...
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    A "spanner" is a wrench in The Queens English correct?

Thought so... Were gonna need a translator for you guys across the pond in a couple of years lol...
    Be glad you don't have to learn Dutch, you freaky-deaky....

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    I am Italian lol.

Love that movie...
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    I am Italian lol.

Love that movie...
    Lol. So do I. Tornare al tema.
    If you are planning to use Lipos, you are going to be surprised. It will be on it's lid or backflip before you know it.

Rag didn't know we were speaking the Queen's English... Lols.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...