RC Racer

springs and shock oil

I have read about alot of different types of set up for the revo when it comes to springs and shock oils. I was hoping to get some feedback on what I am trying to do. I like to use my revo everywhere. Street dirt, grass, but mostly on our small dirt track. different tires for each. my springs are pretty much beat. Wanting to get a new set and get my suspension set up correctly. Should I stick with traxxas springs or try a different brand? What weights should I use on front and back. Also what weight oil should I be using. I currently run losi 42.5 all the way around. Was the only thing my lhs had. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

I ran Green F and Tan R with 50W oil and VDP #2 F and R. I use my truck on a bit of everything and had great success with this setup.

I have just recently upgraded to 60W oil with Gold F & Black R with VDP #2. I am yet to test this setup so can't comment on the performance just yet
    Rock n Rolla !

not sure I have ever seen another Co build springs, haven't looked either.

I like blue R, silver F.. inner hole... 80 wt. I set the preload as tight as I can get it, with out bottoming out the springs.

push the chassis to the ground, check to see if the springs are fully collapsed, adjust accordingly
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Racer
    Ive seen springs from integy. 87 GN, does your set up, "spring" you over jumps or does it keep you firmly planted. Also, this is prob a super newb question, but what is the "inner hole" mean? Also is it the same a VDP#2? Where do you guys order your springs from? Thanks!!!!

RC Racer
    87 GN, when i looked at the shocks you reccomended, this is what I saw.

5442 Spring, shock (red) (GTR) (4.9 rate silver) (std. front 120mm) (1
    pair) .................................................. .................................................. $6.00
    5444 Spring, shock (red) (GTR) (5.9 rate blue) (std. rear 120mm) (1
    pair) .................................................. .................................................. $6.00

What is the difference between the others and these? What does the 120mm mean? thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by stressbasher View Post
    Ive seen springs from integy. 87 GN, does your set up, "spring" you over jumps or does it keep you firmly planted. Also, this is prob a super newb question, but what is the "inner hole" mean? Also is it the same a VDP#2? Where do you guys order your springs from? Thanks!!!!
    He is referring to the push rod been set on the inner hole of the a-arm...the 120mm you is referring to the LT rockers. The eRevo comes stock out the box with P2's installed and a spare set of LT rockers and the blue and silver springs.

I tried those springs...a bit to firm for my liking. You would need to test and see if you like them.

VDP #2...click here, you can see what they look like and how they get installed in the shocks.

Good luck mate...
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    Craig.Mitch316, I just read that entire thread! Very well done sir!!

I bought my revo used and it didnt come with the LT rockers. I beleive I just have the P2 installed. So the 120 springs wont work for me, right? i think i might try your newest set up if thats the case. Any real benefits to changing to the LT?

RC Qualifier
    For what it is worth, I use this setup:

Traxxas Variable Damping Kit (VDP #2 - valve on top)
    P2 Rocker’s
    Green Springs (front)
    Tan Springs (rear)
    70 Weight shock oil (front & rear)
    Traxxas Aluminum Pushrod’s
    Tekno Sway Bar Kit (silver bar) – Front Only

I too (as craig.mitch stated) ordered and have not used Gold for the front and Black for the rear. However, Im a little heavier in oil than craig too so that keeps me a little stiffer.
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

RC Racer
    Thanks for your feedback Blacksheep800, do you find that the sway bar helps alot? Ive thought about getting one, but still on the fence about it. Is it that much better than the traxxas one?

What about the VDP? Do you guys find this to be a must have??

RC Qualifier
    I am definitely a fan of both the sway bars and the VDP’s. I have ran the truck with and without sway bars. I have also run the truck with sway bars on the front & rear and just the front.

IMO and for my setup and driving style I feel the truck handles best with the sway bars on the front only. The sway bars help take the body roll out of the truck in turns. However, once again, IMO I feel a little body roll is a good thing too. When I had the sways on the rear too I could not keep the front end planted as tight in a turn……it wanted to slide through the turn more.

I personally like the Tekno sways better than the Traxxas one’s. The Tekno sways are a no drill and very easy to install. I’m sure they both accomplish the same thing I just went for a Tenko’s.

As for the VDR……once again I am a believer. You can increase or decrease your rebound rate with different pistons and the placement of the value……all depending on your surface type and diving style.
    Last edited by BlackSheep800; 09-13-2012 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Cant spell

RC Racer
    Very good info Blacksheep800!! Thank you.

What size/type of tires is everyone running??

RC Qualifier
    I am all over the map.......my favorite is a set Badlands, taped and glued on a set of Proline Desperado's. But I also run a set of Trencher X on Traxxas Geode's. I am a big fan of the additional 1/2" offset rims. And of course I have the stocker's too.

RC Racer
    HAHA, same here. I bought some 40 series trenchers and put them on axial beadlocks, WOW, they were HEAVY!! 2 runs and sold them. Went back to dish wheels and crime fighters. Also have a set of Geode's with the maxx tires. Really like those as well. And the stockers as well. I want to try the badlands tho. Hear nothing but good things.

RC Competitor
    The bigger the rate the stiffer the spring is? Ie. The 3.2 rate orange will be stiffer than 2.6 yellow?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hndacbr6 View Post
    The bigger the rate the stiffer the spring is? Ie. The 3.2 rate orange will be stiffer than 2.6 yellow?
    that is correct.

spring rates

yellow = 2.6

white = 2.9

orange = 3.2

green = 3.5

gold = 3.8

tan = 4.1

black = 4.4

silver = 4.9

pink = 5.4

blue = 5.9

purple = 6.4
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    i ran summit front double yellow and rear double red, shock oil still stock.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

I was running Gold Front and Black Rear with 60K Losi oil. These settings weren't bad but I wanted to stiffen up my suspension slightly more...over the weekend I changed to Tan front and Silver rear with the 60K Losi oil...I am really enjoying this setting at the moment.
    Rock n Rolla !