RC poster

Single servo steering - Hitec 7955 or Savox 1230?

Any experience with these two?

I got the Savox 1230SG on an impulse buy at the LHS for $99, but looked around and seems the feedback on it wasn't so great, but at 500oz, 0.16, it should definitely have the power. (yeah, not a great price, but I try to support the locals)

Then when ordering some parts from another local online shop, picked up the Hitec HS-7955TG. 333oz/.15.

I'm also planning on doing a 4WS upgrade once I get my Summit back together. So I could either use these two in combination front/back, or should I return one and get the second to match...?

I'm running the hitec 7955tg on mine now.i have zero complaints it is strong quick and precise.i think ideally, you would have matching servos for 4ws.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    hitec is the better choice

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by stickychinsac View Post
    hitec is the better choice

Why is that?

Hitec is a more established brand and generally uses less power in operation so its more efficient, with less chance of a brownout.

And how often have you heard someone say they've used Savox for years with no problems. I can say that about my Hitec's.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    I would say running a matching set isnt mandatory because they arent mechanically linked together. Your call really. As for savox i have never ran one but i have the 7955 in my truck and have zero complaints, this thing is nice!

RC poster
    Thanks - that's kinda what I was leaning toward, even though the Savox had the higher torque. Will probably try out the Hitec for the front steering for now and then get a second for the rear steering when I do the mod.

RC Qualifier
    Honestly the hitec has more torque than you are going to translate to the wheels anyway so if that was your selling point its not that credible. Hitec customer service is industry tops. Having had warranty battles in the past I truly appreciate what those guys are doing in the hobby. (4x 7950,1x 7955...1x fried savox)

RC poster
    argh - more reading and I see most are doing the 7950's....maybe I blow them both off and go to 7950. I tend to be in the 'buy once, cry once' category. But my local shop (calif) is out of stock in those, and even tower has them back ordered.

If anyone is still checking this thread, can you tell me this -
    If I'm going to upgrade to tekin ESC and lipo in the future, do I need the higher voltage servo? or will I end up using a BEC anyway, which I can set to 6V regardless.

RC Champion
    No need to change servos when you change to the Tekin. Most servos will run 4v, 6v 7.5v and some even as high as 9v before damage comes in.

I'm running my 7955 mg on the stock evx and a tekin no issues.mine is only capable to 6v,it's got lots of turning power.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    7950th is tops imo. I always recommend a bec with high voltage servo.

I just swapped my Summit's Hitec 7954 with my ERBE's 7950.
    I think the 7950 on 6.0V (402 oz-in/0.15 sec)
    and the 7954 on 7.4V (403 oz-in/0.12 sec) thanks to a CC-BEC in the ERBE seemed the best of both worlds.
    I also recommend a high-voltage servo. 6.0V servos are going the way of NiCd.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-13-2012 at 05:55 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

I've just installed the Hitec HS-7950TH on my eRevo with an external CC BEC set @ 6V. I am a bit dissapointed as my servo never stops humming when the transmitter is turned on.

Any ideas why this would be...I am confused

'HUMMING SERVO HITEC HS-7950 TH'

I have also removed the centre wire (red one) from the plug end of the esc so the RX is totally powered by the BEC.

I have installed the BEC this way so it is running off a single battery.

Last edited by craig.mitch316; 09-13-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: I can't spell
    Rock n Rolla !

Humming is not good, but crackling is okay, just so long as it stops when you lift it off the ground/floor. Hitecs are normally pretty noisy servos.
    Your video isn't coming through very well for me ATM. Hopefully by the time I get somewhere I can view it, you'll have an answer from someone else.

I would obviously check for biding of the pivot balls in the front suspension and in the steering linkage.

RC Qualifier
    Take the servo arm off your servo. Then turn on your truck and Radio make sure your turn trim is centered on the radio and reset your servo arm so it is centered on the servo and try it again. IF that fails look for binding some place in the steering and make sure your pivot ball caps are not on to tight or lose against your pivot balls inside your axle carriers. Hope that is clear LOL.

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Trying not to stray too far. Will either the 7950 or 7954 be happy on an on otherwise Stock Summit? In other words no brown-outs, twitching, or glitching? I think one of my stock servos is no longer up to the task. I need to know if an external BEC will be necessary, or just desirable to power a single "High Torque" servo (or two rear steer ).
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

The servo horn hasn't been attached yet...I installed the servo and powered up as I was wanting to see if everything was working.

The noise is probably cracking, it even crackles when I gently shake the transmitter up and down or if I rotate the wheel on the transmitter. It just seemed odd to me when I powered up and heard it.

Not sure if that's normal?
    Rock n Rolla !

I don't think rotating the servo horn will accomplish anything. However if you remove the servo horn and the servo is still crackling, there is probably a problem with the servo.

Each of the five Hitec 795X servos I normally run or run with is "talkative." Definitely a bit noisier than the stock servos.

@ Mayberry Kid: the EVX-2 is quite capable of powering ONE of the large 7950/7954/7955 servos.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-14-2012 at 10:12 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Are they OK to run with a stock electronic configuration??
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

Yes they are.

RC Champion
    You said it makes noise when you move the transmitter? Sounds like you're using a 27mhz radio.. if you are, that's totally normal and just a result of noise induction.

RC poster
    ah- found the 7950 at my LHS when I returned the Savox - what a fluke.

Probably won't get time to convert it tomorrow; will likely have to wait until next weekend.
    I might save the 7955 to switch over my e-maxx to single servo too - I'm so tired of hearing the two servos fight.

thanks for all the recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    I think you're right, I've noticed even the off-brand servos are now advertising high voltage servos.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC poster
    Completed the upgrade to the 7950 tonight - wow - now the wheels actually _turn_! Gotta admit, I was skeptical at first, but I'm sold.

Pretty impressive compared to the dual servo. I'll probably run it with the stock plastic dual arm, but switch to a single arm aluminum once the budget recharges.

The 7955 will go in the emaxx tomorrow.

And then start planning for rear steering.....

RC Racer
    okay, I too neew to replace my steering servo (something is going wrong and this is a good time to improve). If I go to one servo what do I do with the linkage, is there a new linkage designed for using one servo instead of two? So High voltage 7950, or the 7955 will just plug in and be fine in my otherwise stock rig? I just need clarification thats all.

RC Champion
    You can leave the dual linkage or just cut off the side you don't use.
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Qualifier
    Gonna need an aluminum servo arm (hitec does have different number of teeth than traxxas servo horn) linkages will be fine, at some point aluminum servo saver will be a good idea. Ive seen ones with one arm for single but mine has two arms, i just use the one. You should be able to run them without a bec although I dont see the point if you spending the money to get a monster, run a cc bec and call it good.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by 04zrx View Post
    okay, I too neew to replace my steering servo (something is going wrong and this is a good time to improve). If I go to one servo what do I do with the linkage, is there a new linkage designed for using one servo instead of two? So High voltage 7950, or the 7955 will just plug in and be fine in my otherwise stock rig? I just need clarification thats all.
    go to post #55

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-rebuild/page2

RC Racer
    gotca! I want it to look correct so I'll switch it over to the setup you have. thanks !

RC poster
    My Summit had a Hitec servo in it, so the servo arm transferred over to the 7950 without changing.
    My e-maxx, however, had a Traxxas servo in it, and like it was pointed out, it has a different number of teeth/size, so now I have to hunt down a special servo arm that will work w/ the Hitec.