RC poster

Maxx3905 brushless?

So i now have a semi stock 3905. The only consideration for this post is the Jumbo Kong tires. And maintaining lots of torque to push them.I'm currently running the twin Titan 550s and like the way they pull. So my question is what would be the best brushless set up? I know I'll have to go to lipo. Would twin 540 brushless work? Is that possible (ESC)? I would like the beast to be water proof also. Can the drive train take it? Any insight would be helpful.
    Last edited by MrSemperFi; 09-12-2012 at 12:09 AM.

RC Champion
    For waterproof, you are limited to 3 options:

1. Any brushless system can be waterproofed with plasti-dip and some common sence, BUT this comes at the cost of voiding the manufactureer warrenty and it dosnt always work.

IF you go this route, your best options are Tekin and Castle Creations, depending on how much money you have. THis is also the fastest/most powerfull option assuming you get the MMM or RX8/T8

2. Twin-V or Twin-VXL. Bassically you take 2x traxxas VXL-3s and run them in parallel just like stock, except you need 2 ESCs, 2 motors, a parallel harness, and a y-splitter for the RX channel. Compleatly waterproof and after some playing with gearing, u'll get plenty of torque and power

3. Hobbywing brushless combos, 120A esc.

For all of these, you want a system at least rated for 4s lipo, prefferably 6s, and around 2200kv. NO higher than 2800kv, and no lower that 1600kv for the motor. IF you go higher, ull need 2 systems (one vxl is 3300kv, or so)
    If you go lower, ull need 8s lipo.

I hope that gives you some tips and helps you in your decision
    Doublethink: 2+2=4 while 2+2=0

RC Champion
    And Welcome to the forum

RC Enthusiast
    Hobbywing has some "waterproof" and "splashproof" kits that will do the trick for you.

My 2cts!

RC poster
    Ok so I'm thinking a strong single is the way to go any thought there? Also what can I do with the drive train? Can I upgrade the axles? Will RPM a arms fit on a 3905?

RC Enthusiast
    Look at my setup and you will find your answers.

RC Champion
    The RPMs are you want are the ones for...

Wait for it...

THE 3905!!!! "new 16.8v E-Maxx"

The stock drive shafts are pretty good. You can get CVDs or dogbones (KD makes some, as does Traxxas, FLM, and many others)

If you really want to get high power, you can upgrade to a RR Gen 3 slipper and steel spur, all metal geared tranny, Losi LST-2 Center dogbones and LST-2 diffs, or UE 6-spyder diffs, or FLM diffs, ST racing carriers, RPM true track (rear only), and a score of other upgrades. Acer ceramic bearings, and the list goes on and on
    Last edited by PowerToTheMaxx; 09-13-2012 at 07:34 PM.

RC poster
    Booker unless I'm wrong that doesn't look like 3905 unless I'm crazy (which is possible) my emaxx looks different. Sweet on the RPM I asked my lhs maybe he said he didn't have any but I thought I heard they wouldn't fit. Well regardless flipping sweet!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSemperFi View Post
    Booker unless I'm wrong that doesn't look like 3905 unless I'm crazy (which is possible) my emaxx looks different. Sweet on the RPM I asked my lhs maybe he said he didn't have any but I thought I heard they wouldn't fit. Well regardless flipping sweet!
    MrSemperFi ....yessss you are wrong! It IS a 3905, checkout yours if it has the short or long chassis or if it has the "blue or orange/yellow" esc.

Not too sure but I think the RPM arms fits in all emaxx versions.

RC Champion
    The old MAXXS had shorter arms, so yes the longer arms will atach to the bulks and knuckles, but the drive shafts might not reach, or the opposite will be true and the drive shafts will be to long.

Old knuckles are completely different, different bearing diameters, and no dust boot mounts for the pivot balls.

Shock towers are basically the same
    Skids are similar but not quite the same.

So there is a big difference between old and new MAXX parts, weather it be RPM or any other manufacturer.

RC poster
    Than maybe you help me understand what model I have. I have the orange esc and I had to replace the a arms last weekend and I got the wrong ones they were too short. I could take a picture if that would help.

RC poster
    All right boys I greatly appreciate you advice. Now I have an issue just replaced axles last weekend got about 1 1/2 bash sessions and broke another continued on front wheel drive only and broke another. Either I need stronger axles or I have to give up the jumbos what's your take?

RC Enthusiast
    I think yhebtires are too big, but you can try using lowering your pinion to increase torque.

I like the look of the kongs!

RC poster
    Mee too I just put new axles on and ten minutes later SNAP the problem is I'm about to deploy on ship and mail takes 30 days to catch up grrrrrr front wheel drive for a while

RC poster
    So I've figured out I have the 3906