Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Dont get me wrong I am a big time Castle fan all of my 1/10th scale trucks run them and my 1/16th scale uses a Castle ESC. The 5700 has been my long time favorite for the Rusty. That being said if you think the 5700 is going to blow by a 3500 both in a Rustler geared properly you will be disappointed. I have used both and in the end they are about dead equal when it comes to top speed.
    I never owned a 5700 4 pole so I can judge about that out of personal experience, but I had the 3800 in my Rustlerized Bandit and that was certainly faster than the 3500 Velineon. Did you ever try the 3800 in your Rusty, Dad?
    Nobody is born with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    I never owned a 5700 4 pole so I can judge about that out of personal experience, but I had the 3800 in my Rustlerized Bandit and that was certainly faster than the 3500 Velineon. Did you ever try the 3800 in your Rusty, Dad?
    '

Yep I bought the 3800 for the Rust although it is in my p4de now. The 4 pole motors have more torque and feel faster or acclerate better but if you put a GPS in the car or use a radar gun the actual top speed come out to be very close if not identical. I am not a big top speed kind of guy and value how they perform in the low end more than top speed and that is why I like the 4 pole Castle motors.

We have seen in many times here on the forum ....a Rusty with either a 3500 or a 5700 on 3s typically run in the mid 70 mph range give or take a mph or two. IMO neither has the upper hand when top speed is the gauge we are judging them by. The 3800 may be the better of the three and have an edge but I never really tired to see how fast I could make the Rusty go with it like I did the 3500 and 5700
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    '

Yep I bought the 3800 for the Rust although it is in my p4de now. The 4 pole motors have more torque and feel faster or acclerate better but if you put a GPS in the car or use a radar gun the actual top speed come out to be very close if not identical. I am not a big top speed kind of guy and value how they perform in the low end more than top speed and that is why I like the 4 pole Castle motors.

We have seen in many times here on the forum ....a Rusty with either a 3500 or a 5700 on 3s typically run in the mid 70 mph range give or take a mph or two. IMO neither has the upper hand when top speed is the gauge we are judging them by. The 3800 may be the better of the three and have an edge but I never really tired to see how fast I could make the Rusty go with it like I did the 3500 and 5700
    When you are looking for a significant difference in top speed, you need significantly more power. The 3800 is a nice step up, but for more difference, you end up with the 2400, 2650 or 2200 (talking about Castle options here).

RC Enthusiast
    Well I did end up with the 5700kv motor. I got my jaco foams and wheelie bar. Now, I have to lower the CG and to do that I'm adding down travel limiters inside the front and rear shocks. I also need to add my radio systen and speedo. Which leads me to ask..... the motor and speed control wires are 2 long. I was told never to cut the motor wires, so is it okay to shorten the speedo wires? Anyways I'll have to get pics of it on here.

Quote Originally Posted by dwblue00 View Post
    Well I did end up with the 5700kv motor. I got my jaco foams and wheelie bar. Now, I have to lower the CG and to do that I'm adding down travel limiters inside the front and rear shocks. I also need to add my radio systen and speedo. Which leads me to ask..... the motor and speed control wires are 2 long. I was told never to cut the motor wires, so is it okay to shorten the speedo wires? Anyways I'll have to get pics of it on here.
    If you have a MMP and a Castle 4 pole 5700, you can safely shorten the wires. Important is to keep the three wires that go from the ESC to the motor the same length.

RC Enthusiast
    I have the sidewinder 3 speedo. Not the MMP. Yes I have the 1406, 4 pole 5700kv. I looked in the manual and really didnt get a clear yes or no, just not a good idea.
    Last edited by dwblue00; 05-27-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dwblue00 View Post
    I have the sidewinder 3 speedo. Not the MMP. Yes I have the 1406, 4 pole 5700kv. I looked in the manual and really didnt get a clear yes or no, just not a good idea.
    Same story; no problem to shorten the wires. If you have a motor with wires which don't bend easily, like the ones on the Velineon 4000 in the 1/16 scale Traxxas cars, shortening the motor wires (which are part of the motor windings) can influence the working of the motor.

RC Enthusiast
    Alrighty, I shortened the motor and speedo wires about 1.5" or so unsoldered and re-soldered ends back on the length is about perfect. Got all the upgrades on, just have to lower the CG, install the radio system, and get 3s battery pack.