Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltim0re28 View Post
    That is one sweet ride you got there!!! If you don't mind me asking, what is on the bottom of the chassis? And correct me if I'm wrong...is that 4 batteries in the Second picture?
    Yes sir. 4 3s Parallel parallel to series. Getting the available amps where I need them. Thanks btw. I built a two piece abs belly pan along w air foil channels.

Bswift
    FASTEST "recorded/proven" JATO'S-3.3 AND Big block

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    117mph! wow!!! you must of had a runway to get that thing moving at that speed
    I did. Same airport that the 114 e rato hybrid car in YouTube. Also where I do my jato high speed passes. Total length of my passes are 1/4 mile.

Bswift

RC Qualifier
    I can honestly say that's the first rustler I've seen wired up to 4 -3s batteries..lol. I like the Channels on the bottom also. I gotta get me a gps and the camera charged up later this week. A few changes I want to make to mine like take it a little lower, new body, then I may make a few runs. May get it out and play around on 3s a little bit in a few days..

RC Qualifier
    Man that awesome some day I will have a fast car and I will run 6 batterys

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by slayer17 View Post
    Man that awesome some day I will have a fast car and I will run 6 batterys
    Lol!!! If ur good, Santa might bring u 8!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bswift

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bswift View Post
    Lol!!! If ur good, Santa might bring u 8!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bswift
    LOL!!! Pretty funny..

RC Qualifier
    Painted the bottom today when I got off work. I think it turned out pretty good. Something a little different. Picture is horrible, can't see that the balls at the end of his hat are red. To go with the red, white, black color theme I had mentioned in an earlier post. Gotta order a new body soon.

RC Champion
    That looks cool as heck man, I can't wait to see the body

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rraattrroodd View Post
    That looks cool as heck man, I can't wait to see the body
    thanks, I've seen some of your work and I must say you do some GREAT paint jobs yourself. Not to sure how I'm gonna do the body or what body I'm even gonna use. I truly appreciate the compliment. I'm hoping it turns out looking good in the end.

RC Champion
    oh man that's nice! it matches my bandit body oh so well. send it to me!!

RC Qualifier
    ^ lol!! It was actually pretty easy to do. I still have another piece of lexan that I can cut another one out of. Not sure what I'm gonna put on that one yet. It's my new "flm chassis protector." A 16x14" 0.30 piece of lexan works perfect so you could cut two of them out of..

B money, Thats sick as all goodness bro. I LOVE it... Very nice touch, and very unique. What shocks are u running? Man that pic with ur batts looks like u got 4 3S packs up there Would love to see more, and closer pics of your setup on the inside. Love it man.
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Qualifier
    The one up top is bswifts, he is running 4 3s batteries..lol. I wanna see some up close pictures myself. I'm running D8 shocks on my rustler, I'm looking for another set for the right price so I can put them on my pede. They are honestly the best shock I've found for bashing and I've tried quite a few different ones. Just figured they would look good on the rustler and with all the extra weight of the aluminum parts it would handle a little better with some 1/8 buggy shocks. I'm still in the process of figuring out how I want to mount everything on the inside including the batteries but I think I'm close to getting it the way I want. I'll have a few more pictures by this weekend and everything set up the way I want. I appreciate the compliments loot, like I said before... Couldn't have did it any other way than your countersunk washer idea. I just need to get them in black, the ones I have now are purple I just stripped the paint with some oven cleaner. I don't like the silver color on the bottom tho, they NEED to be black. Eventually that 2200 on the back will be black too.

RC Qualifier
    Figured I'd take it outside and run in up and down the street a few times before the Ravens game came on today just to see how it ran S-L-O-W-L-Y. Everything stayed together and it ran smooth,lol. Decided to take a few more pictures while it was out.
    Put the red turnbuckles on it and don't really think I like them too much, may just sand down the old flm ones and erosive them black.
    Guy that works at the lhs is a real big heli guy and heard me talking about buying a gyro and gave me one he had in his box for free!!! Not to sure how to set it up yet but something that I can mess with later..
    Also bought some body mounts from the lhs when I stopped in and they screwed in perfectly to holes that were already in the flm chassis. Still looking for a good way to clean up the look of some of the wires..
    After I decide what body and gps I want than hopefully this thing will be ready soon.

RC Qualifier

Last edited by Baltim0re28; 10-07-2012 at 12:57 PM.

RC Champion
    Good luck to you. My all aluminum rusty got passed by a stock 4x4 pede yesterday... and I had my 31/76 gearing on. Needless to say, I'm aggravated and have given up on an all aluminum rig.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTuesdays View Post
    Good luck to you. My all aluminum rusty got passed by a stock 4x4 pede yesterday... and I had my 31/76 gearing on. Needless to say, I'm aggravated and have given up on an all aluminum rig.
    Don't blame the aluminum rig (although it is not my choice) I think it is more your nimh packs, put a good lipo int here and see what happens.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Don't blame the aluminum rig (although it is not my choice) I think it is more your nimh packs, put a good lipo int here and see what happens.
    But with the same crappy Traxxas batteries, shouldn't we both be slow? The Pede had a stock battery in too.

Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTuesdays View Post
    But with the same crappy Traxxas batteries, shouldn't we both be slow? The Pede had a stock battery in too.
    Well no matter how you look at it you are comparing apples and oranges. Is his pack newer? Could be the difference of 4wd vs 2wd. Like I said an all aluminum build is not my choice but that does not mean you cant build an all aluminum car and have it be fast. The weight will hurt acceleration some but wont effect top speed. In some applications like doing speed runs where you have the room to accelerate the weight is a good thing.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Well no matter how you look at it you are comparing apples and oranges. Is his pack newer? Could be the difference of 4wd vs 2wd. Like I said an all aluminum build is not my choice but that does not mean you cant build an all aluminum car and have it be fast. The weight will hurt acceleration some but wont effect top speed. In some applications like doing speed runs where you have the room to accelerate the weight is a good thing.
    I think my pack is fresher than his. 10 runs through mine and probably 30-50 through his. Also... shouldn't 4wd be slower with the drag of the diffs and everything? Maybe it's the bigger tires on his truck.

RC Qualifier
    All cells working correctly on your pack? Were they both freshly charged batteries? As you know, taller tires do make a difference.. What gearing was the 4x4 running. As dad stated, apples to oranges.... Too many different variables to even compare the two. Make the jump to lipos man, it takes your rc experience to a whole new level.. One thing I can urge you NOT to do is get discouraged. Research and information is your friend. May be more to his truck than he lead you to believe,lol.

RC Qualifier
    Few posts up should have said "re-paint" them black!! Not erosive them black... Crazy iPhone likes making me sound dumb occasionally.

Going to lipo will give you the secret ingredient to beating the pants off your friends truck. It'll put your truck on steroids... and I'm not kidding.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    I hate to steal your thread for bmore... but the pede 4x4 is definitely stock, including stock gearing. The batteries were both charged on identical chargers, both put in the trucks, the trucks were driven down the driveway, and he was doing circles around me in the street. I know lipos will really wake the truck up but I was just shocked at how slow mine was compared to his. I felt like I was back in the Titan brushed days!

RC Qualifier
    It's all good man, not stealing my thread. Did you check for binding anywhere? Both running vxl 3500? Are all the cells in you pack good? That bit of added weight shouldn't have your rusty running as slow as your making it sound..

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltim0re28 View Post
    It's all good man, not stealing my thread. Did you check for binding anywhere? Both running vxl 3500? Are all the cells in you pack good? That bit of added weight shouldn't have your rusty running as slow as your making it sound..
    No binding... I took the whole trans apart, checked bearings, took some grease out so it spun easier, checked wheel bearings, everything is good. Same ESCs and motors. As I sit here thinking about it, I can't help but think my batteries cant deliver the current needed to turn that gearing. It's barely any faster with 31/76 that it is with 28/83. I need more juice!

RC Qualifier
    Could be the culprit.. That is "speed run" gearing. If you are running up and down a short driveway you wouldn't reach "top speed" if he was geared more conservatively he was reaching his top speed faster than you, which in turn made yours seem slower. With the 4x4 it was probably transferring that power to the ground more evenly where he could take off quicker also.. Just a thought.

RC Champion
    No... the driveway part was just to make a point that we had the exact same charge in the battery. We went down the driveway and out into the street where we opened them up.

RC Enthusiast
    This is a old thread, but I'm working on a hi speed rusty as well. Sidewinder 3 speedo with a 5700kv motor. Im going to try this on 2cell lipo then go to 3 cell. Im getting wheely bar and jaco foams. I know 100 + is possible with the rusty, but I'd be happy at 70 - 80 mph.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by dwblue00 View Post
    This is a old thread, but I'm working on a hi speed rusty as well. Sidewinder 3 speedo with a 5700kv motor. Im going to try this on 2cell lipo then go to 3 cell. Im getting wheely bar and jaco foams. I know 100 + is possible with the rusty, but I'd be happy at 70 - 80 mph.
    100MPH is not possible with That setup. With 3s expect 65-75mph depending on gearing.

RC Enthusiast
    I wasnt looking to get 100mph.......but 70 mph or so is good enough.

RC Enthusiast
    I will be changing the gearing. How can traxxss advertise 70mph+ with 3s lipo and gearing? Considering that velineon motor is 3500kv and the motor I'm going to be using is 5700kv. In theory......on 3s, I should blow by a velineon powered rusty.

RC Competitor
    I wasnt looking to get 100mph.......but 70 mph or so is good enough.
    i ran a similar setup awhile back. So I was speaking from past experience.

RC Enthusiast
    70mph out of a 1/10 r/c is crazy fast!!!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    This is what my rusty has on it, big bore shocks, rpm gearbox, rpm shock towers hubs and arms, full ball bearings, traxxas aluminum bellcrank, aluminum steering and camber links. 5700kv motor on order. Looking to get foam tire setup, wheelybar and anything else I need.

I will be changing the gearing. How can traxxss advertise 70mph+ with 3s lipo and gearing? Considering that velineon motor is 3500kv and the motor I'm going to be using is 5700kv. In theory......on 3s, I should blow by a velineon powered rusty.
    Traxxas can advertise it because it is very capable of doing it. The 3500kv motor can be geared higher than the 5700kv motor so in the end they come about about even when it comes to top speed.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Enthusiast
    Hmmm.....thats interesting. Even though the 5700kv is a 4 pole motor the extra torque should allow you ro gear up alittle. So was getting a 5700kv a waste over,.......lets say a 3800kv?

Hmmm.....thats interesting. Even though the 5700kv is a 4 pole motor the extra torque should allow you ro gear up alittle. So was getting a 5700kv a waste over,.......lets say a 3800kv?
    The most important difference is the voltage which is used. The 5700 runs at a higher RPM than the 3800 at the same voltage. The 3800 needs 3S to run the same rpm as the 5700 on 2S.
    Both the 5700 and 3800 are more powerful than the Velineon 3500, so in the end, when properly geared, they should give your car a higher top speed.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    The most important difference is the voltage which is used. The 5700 runs at a higher RPM than the 3800 at the same voltage. The 3800 needs 3S to run the same rpm as the 5700 on 2S.
    Both the 5700 and 3800 are more powerful than the Velineon 3500, so in the end, when properly geared, they should give your car a higher top speed.
    Thats what I suspected Petertje60. I also talked to CC today and also found out that voltage is relative to torque. The 5700kv motor is the fastest motor (relative to the others, ie: 6900kv and 7700kv motors) that will run 3s lipo. I guess the way to do this is use CCs recommended gearing and go from there.

Dont get me wrong I am a big time Castle fan all of my 1/10th scale trucks run them and my 1/16th scale uses a Castle ESC. The 5700 has been my long time favorite for the Rusty. That being said if you think the 5700 is going to blow by a 3500 both in a Rustler geared properly you will be disappointed. I have used both and in the end they are about dead equal when it comes to top speed.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power