RC Racer

2.8's on an XL5??

I was wondering if I could put 2.8 premounted badlands on a stock xl5 rustler. If so, what pinion size do I need to drop to? Thanx

RC Champion
    You should be fine sticking with the stock gearing. As always, watch motor, esc, and battery temps and gear accordingly but you shouldn't have any problems.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Racer
    Stock gearing.... Even better news! Thanx for the good word.

Post some pics when you get them mounted up.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

NO WAY!!! Badlands in 2.8" are 4.95" in diameter and will require you gear down from stock gearing or you will over heat you motor. Those tires are closer to the size of a Stampede so I would suggest stock Stampede gearing as a starting spot.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    just drop your pinion size by maybe 1 or 2 teeth and you should be good.

RC Champion
    I had no problem with stock gearing. When I tried them, my motor barely got warm (110f). I do have an aluminum trans case but I figure at most that's dropping my temps by 20f.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Qualifier
    For tire choice i would either go with 2.8 proline trenchers or 2.2 proline mashers cut and glued on 2.8 rims (see pavementsurfers tutorial.) If i had to pick one it would be the trenchers.

Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTuesdays View Post
    I had no problem with stock gearing. When I tried them, my motor barely got warm (110f). I do have an aluminum trans case but I figure at most that's dropping my temps by 20f.
    Going form a stock tire taht is roughly 4" diameter to a tire that is almost 5" and not lowering your gearing is asking for trouble. I can not imagine how you could make that big of an increase in tire size and not see a big increase in motor temps without lowering your gearing.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    a new pinion isnt even 5 bucks so just get one a few teeth smaller than stock and you shouldnt have any issues with temps.

RC Racer
    Sooooo.... What is the stock gearing on the stampede, seeing how that may be a starting point. I'm not goin for top speed, I mainly bash. Thanx by the way

RC Champion
    stock for pede- factory over geared 19/90 forum recomended 16/90
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

The math:

If your tire diameter increases 25%, you should lower the gearing accordingly (which is increasing the gear ratio). Either increase spur size 25% or decrease pinion size with 20%. In the end the gear ratio (spur tooth count divided by pinion tooth count) should also increase 25%.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Racer
    Yea.... I think I'll go with the 16t. By the way, by putting the 2.8s on the rusty, will it make the truck a little more planted? Thanx for the info guyz. Very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by CodenameTRX1 View Post
    Yea.... I think I'll go with the 16t. By the way, by putting the 2.8s on the rusty, will it make the truck a little more planted? Thanx for the info guyz. Very helpful
    Depends on what tire are mounted on the 2.8" rims, with the Badlands you mention they get very good traction but they are very tall so they raise center or gravity and make the truck much more prone to traction rolling when cornering or catching air under it at high speeds and ballooning.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

I've started adding the protrac 6062 wide suspension kits to my 2wd trucks with good results. 1 down, 4 to go. Lol

IMO, that's the way to go for more stability, or the STRC lcg kit, but the STRC kit kills your ground clearance.

RC Racer
    Is the protraC kit specifically for the rusty? If so, do they come front and rear? Thanx

RC Champion
    i dont think its specifically for the rustler but imo just a little suspension tuning like rebuilding your shocks or getting big bores is all you need for suspension tuning. plus its cheap. that and when you break parts replace them with rpm parts. that is also cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by redlightrandy View Post
    i dont think its specifically for the rustler but imo just a little suspension tuning like rebuilding your shocks or getting big bores is all you need for suspension tuning. plus its cheap. that and when you break parts replace them with rpm parts. that is also cheap.
    A wide mod or ProTrac kit does a LOT more than you can accomplish tuning your suspension. Tuning the suspension is a lot of fun and helps a lot but same is true with the ProTrac or any wide mod and the wider truck has a huge advantage over one with stock width.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Instead of buying the protrac kit I just used jato arms on the front. Requires a little bit of dremeling and you have to put your rear tires on the front, and front on rear. It's alot cheaper and improves handling drastically. Just another option.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltim0re28 View Post
    Instead of buying the protrac kit I just used jato arms on the front. Requires a little bit of dremeling and you have to put your rear tires on the front, and front on rear. It's alot cheaper and improves handling drastically. Just another option.
    Jato arms make the front REALLY wide, I used rear arms on the front. Either of these two mods were how it was done before the ProTrac kit came along.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

Is the protraC kit specifically for the rusty? If so, do they come front and rear? Thanx
    The pro-trac is actually made for the Slash but works on the Rustler and Stampede.

Kit comes with 4 arms, 2 shock towers, 4 wheels, rear bearing carriers and turnbuckles.

RC Racer
    I guess u can't just buy the arms without the rest of the parts? I kinda thought u could. Hmmmm....

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltim0re28 View Post
    For tire choice i would either go with 2.8 proline trenchers or 2.2 proline mashers cut and glued on 2.8 rims (see pavementsurfers tutorial.) If i had to pick one it would be the trenchers.
    So u think trenchers not bad lands? I love the trenchers , got em on my slash4. Maybe trenchers would b better??

RC Qualifier
    I've never used badlands so I couldn't really say for sure what would be "better." Everyone has their opinions, i just found Trenchers to be an all around good tire. If you use the jato arms on the front and switch wheel hexes and tires from front to rear and put the rears on front. It's almost perfectly even. I had already had an strc front shock tower and powerstrokes on my stampede so that gave me PLENTY of options for my suspension. I'm only guessing it would be the same on the rusty. But I don't see why not.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTuesdays View Post
    You should be fine sticking with the stock gearing. As always, watch motor, esc, and battery temps and gear accordingly but you shouldn't have any problems.
    what he said...i had 2.8 TALONS on my xl5(until i changed to vxl) and the worst that happened to me was i fried my motor.
    Rustler...the greatest rc truck of them all

RC Qualifier
    I was wondering if I could put 2.8 premounted badlands on a stock xl5 rustler. If so, what pinion size do I need to drop to? Thanx
    I may try putting the 2.8's from my VXL 4X4 on my old 2WD pede. I've got 3.2's (stock offset Revolvers) on the big boy with a 10 tooth pinion, and it doesn't seem to run any hotter than with 2.8 Trenchers and an 11T pinion. The tires came off my old Raminator. That's all that's left of it.
    Here's a pic with it's biggest fan. He waits for me to come home from work and play with him with it. The 2WD can't seem to acceleratate fast enough from a standing start on dirt to get away from him. Not enoiugh traction or power with that one.

http://s1253.photobucket.com/albums/...ue1Red4Web.jpg
    http://s1253.photobucket.com/albums/...ue2Red4Web.jpg