Thread: Few questions

RC Qualifier

Few questions

In my e maxx the power wasnt going down to the wheels, because of a tight gearing mesh at least i think that was the problem; the spur and pinion will spin but not the outputs to the driveshafts anyone else ever have that happen. Also what size screws does the emaxx use.

Is the slipper tight?
    If it is the slipper input shaft turning?
    If yes you may have sheared a pin or stripped a gear in the trany.

Does the output shaft turn at all?

Most of the screws are 3mm, if you look at the exsploaded view of you truck it lists the screw size & length under the screw part number.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    Slipper clutch or something in the tranny is wrong.

RC Champion
    do you have a vid of whats happening
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Qualifier
    no vid i took apart the tranny nothing wrong locked it in 2nd. Put it back together it all spinned well. put my motor on and gear the mesh was pretty tight and the slipper and pinion would turn but not the two outputs. took the motor off it spinned right again.

RC Champion
    with the motors moved to the side, you can turn the spur and everything turns as it should. The motors turn when you move the pinion by hand. But when the gears are meshed tightly it doesn't turn. I can only think the input shaft is bent or not in place at the rear making the gears inside not lined up.Is the shaft in place at the rear of the tranny.
    If you grab the spur can you push it side to side/up or down.
    Last edited by trax de max; 09-11-2012 at 03:47 AM.

RC Champion
    Bent motor shaft? Bent motor plate? Or bent tranny input shaft. Maybe the gear mesh is too tight. Could be the face of the motor is not flush with the plate.

You say everything works fine without the motor mounted. But once you mount the motor and pinion then you are having Issues with binding.

Try powering up your motors with no pinion on it and see if the shaft wobbles when it spins.

Also check the tranny input shaft. Remove the spur gear and slipper assembly. Spin the tranny by the tranny output shafts. Check to see if the input shaft wobbles.

Hope this helps.

RC Qualifier
    the motor shaft is fine might be the input shaft though im gonna take a look tomorrow.

RC Qualifier
    input shaft isnt bent either.

RC Qualifier
    When you have the transmission off the truck, are you trying to spin the transmission by turning the spur gear or the transmission output shafts? maybe the roll pin in the input shaft gear is broke, and with no resistance from the motors the input shaft will turn just from the tight fit of the gear on the shaft when you turn the output shaft try installing the slipper and spur, hold the output shaft and try to turn the spur gear, i see the same thing in my pede all the time! untill I made some mods that solved that issue
    Check to see if the pin in this shaft is good
    Last edited by goalieman3037; 09-17-2012 at 08:26 PM.
    (Rich)..If its stock.....leave it in the box!

RC Champion
    3903 trannys on eBay for cheap. Dremels work magic......
    Doublethink: 2+2=4 while 2+2=0

RC Qualifier
    Now that my initial problems are fixed, more occur . Sometimes when i turn on my evx2 the light is flashing red and green and my truck's throttle won't respond. Also, the model is pretty jumpy it jumps forward and back continuously. Not sure what solved the first problem but i switched to the rrp slipper and went smaller in size and its good now.

RC Enthusiast
    the red and green flashing light indicates overvoltage. The ESC has switched to lipo mode and the low voltage detection is now active. If it sees more than 14.8v (I think that's the #), it will give this flashing code. I assume you are using 7 cell nimh batteries. You need to switch the lvd off. It's a pain in the butt. There is a video for doing this somewhere in these forums.

RC Champion
    yea i think the red and green is the overvoltage and is bizarre to change it back to non lvd. From what i recall you connect only one nimh then deactivate the lvd,I could be wrong on that.
    As for the jumping, wait till the evx problem is fixed then reset to the default setting, re-calibrate the esc, see if that makes a difference. Could be electrical problem from somewhere.Lets hope not though.

RC Qualifier
    My esc doesnt have LVD though o.o

RC Champion
    Ensure that you have everything plugged into the receiver correctly. If you look at your receiver so you can read it, the bottom two ports (channel 1) are for the servos. The third port up (channel 2) is for the ESC. I can't remember if you can physically plug the wires in backwards or not, but check for that. Also double check for any wires that may be pinched under the tranny.

If none of this fixes the problem, check for a bad servo. Unplug the servos and see if the ESC works normally. Power it off, plug in one servo, power up and see if you have any problems. Power it off, Unplug that servo and plug in the other. Power it on and check. If one of the servos cause the ESC to be weird then it's a bad servo. If the problem occurs when both servos are unplugged them its a bad receiver.

One last thing to check is the batteries in the transmitter. Low batteries in it can cause weird things to happen on the truck.

RC Champion
    If none of the above works check the voltage of the batteries. There is a few revisions of the evx2. My old 6cells would over charge to 9.8-10.3V each and would only work the servos.Them soon got binned and went lipo.

RC Qualifier
    Thing is it does it off and on the batteries are good as well. Do you think it could be from low batteries in my remote.

RC Champion
    won't hurt to replace/charge them but i think the tx flashes when low, not sure.

RC Qualifier
    ^ I think your right!
    (Rich)..If its stock.....leave it in the box!

RC Champion
    It does, but sometimes it starts not working before it starts flashing.
    Doublethink: 2+2=4 while 2+2=0