Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Central OH
    Posts
    1,047

    wanting to give 1/16 rally a try and wondering...........?

    I have played with 2WD Slashes in stock and LCG configurations and with Velineon VXL brushless and with Castle 4600 and Mamba Max Pro both in 2s and 3s LiPo configurations.

    I would like to pick up a 1/16th rally car to play with and was thinking of picking up a new roller and putting in my Castle set up but wondered if this is total overkill for this car on motor size?
    Something tells me they are hot little cars with the Velineon 380 motor and that since I can run 11.1v on that set up I can have all the power I need? So do I keep the 4600kv or go with the Velineon?? Run the VXL ESC or put in my Mamba Max Pro?

    Any input or experiences to share would be helpful and appreciated! What works best in your opinion and why and what tires do I want for blacktop and concrete?

    Thanks in advance........

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Alma, MI
    Posts
    12,283
    The motor can take 3S... even 4S... the ESC is borderline at 3S... 2S even has to have very proper gearing.
    I would keep the V380 and put in a different ESC.

    I am running HPI 31mm Vintage tires/rims... I like the traction they give.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

  3. #3
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Central OH
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    The motor can take 3S... even 4S... the ESC is borderline at 3S... 2S even has to have very proper gearing.
    I would keep the V380 and put in a different ESC.

    I am running HPI 31mm Vintage tires/rims... I like the traction they give.
    Thanks for the input, would my CC 4600kv go right in or do I need a mod for it? Would the MMP be too large for these vehicles?
    Thanks on tires.

  4. #4
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Alma, MI
    Posts
    12,283
    The 4600 is a bolt on direct fit IF you have the 550 motor mount... not the V380 mount.


    Which MMP?
    Micro Pro?
    Monster Pro?
    Max Pro?
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

  5. #5
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Central OH
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    The 4600 is a bolt on direct fit IF you have the 550 motor mount... not the V380 mount.


    Which MMP?
    Micro Pro?
    Monster Pro?
    Max Pro?
    Mamba Max Pro sounds like I need the Micro maybe??
    Thanks on the motor mount tip

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Alma, MI
    Posts
    12,283
    Micro is too small... it may fry the first pull of the trigger.

    I think the max is what most are using...
    I am using a ********* 60 amp.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

  7. #7
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Central OH
    Posts
    1,047
    OK, series batteries @14.4v on stock VXL ESC and 380 motor = 50mph

    How does a single 11.1v battery perform? I'm a bit confused seeing rating on the stock system @ 3s Lipo yet does 14.4v??

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Alma, MI
    Posts
    12,283
    The mini Revo and Summit may hit 50 with the V380 and series power, but not a Rally. The tires are too small.

    2 stock Traxxas NiMh in series will actually total around 19v. But this is only for short speed runs on smooth, flat surfaces... says so right in the manual.

    A single 3S (12.6v fully charged) performs quite nicely; but with the stock ESC it should be treated the same way as series running... short speed runs on smooth, flat surfaces.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

  9. #9
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4
    We racing them in Houston on 3s with the 28 pinion on the 380 motor. Most of the guys are running 2 packs in parallel for multiple reasons: weight balance, easier on the batteries in the long run, and a single battery tends to dump right around 5-6minutes. Only major issue most people have with the electronics is that the ESC goes into thermal shutdown without proper ventilation - so we cut huge vent holes and some guys run fans on the ESC. The motor also tends to need a heatsink since it gets hot also. Here's a video from last week:



    -rskip
    Last edited by rskip; 09-13-2012 at 01:27 PM.

  10. #10
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Central OH
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by rskip View Post
    We racing them in Houston on 3s with the 28 pinion on the 380 motor. Most of the guys are running 2 packs in parallel for multiple reasons: weight balance, easier on the batteries in the long run, and a single battery tends to dump right around 5-6minutes. Only major issue most people have with the electronics is that the ESC goes into thermal shutdown without proper ventilation - so we cut huge vent holes and some guys run fans on the ESC. The motor also tends to need a heatsink since it gets hot also. Here's a video from last week:



    -rskip
    So if I have this correct, twin 11.1v packs in parallel? I then guess you have 10-15min runtime? An ESC with fan would be recommended or good ventilation. Heatsink for motor also preferred.
    Sure looks like fun!

  11. #11
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Springboro,OH
    Posts
    59
    Stick with the stock velineon. With 11.1v it will fly. Maybe upgrade the ESC. Anything too much else is overkill...

  12. #12
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4
    Yes, twin 11.1 packs in parallel on the stock system with over over 10min runtime. Heatsink for motor on a 28t would be required and fans on both esc and motor are preferred (less chance of thermaling). Granted, we were running days that were close to the 100 degF mark, so ymmv. Here is a link to some of the setups the guys run: http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/sh...d.php?t=438368


    -rskip

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •