Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

rizz0d's tuber build

After reading Markman's thread 'Meet Cera', and watching all of his youtube video's 'felsenpanzer's channel', I decided it was time to make my own tube cage. So with that, to Markman I say thank you and you suck

Lucky me, this torch was on sale at Lowes for $39.
    'Bernzomatic BZ9400 quickfire'

I bought a bunch of 3/16" solid rod also from Lowes.

And I'm using this brazing solder from my Local Ace Hardware. 56% silver high temp brazing solder with high temp brazing flux.
    'high temp brazing kit'

I'm lovin this torch, pull the trigger and you have flame, let go and the flame's out. The replacement MAPP gas canisters are $7 and available at Lowes.

I left just enough clearance to change battery's without removing the cage.

RC Qualifier
    cont'd
    I wanted to use the body posts instead of mounting directly to the body post mount to give it just a tad more flex before breakage.

I haven't cleaned up any of the joints or put any bracing in yet. But I think it's headed in the right direction. Though I'm not quite sure what I want to do in the front fender area.

Also, not sure on a name just yet. I was thinking "crappy jack" because of the 'jack of all trades, master of none' attitude of the summit. and "happy jack" just didn't sound summit-like.

Nice I'm following this one

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

WOW

This CANNOT be your first attempt at welding. That cage looks great, nice details.

Make sure you post the completed build in the SUMMIT HALLWAY OF HISTORY
    along with a link to your build thread

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ragging-thread
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Qualifier
    Lookin good lookin good.

Happy Jack as in the song by The Who?

Could call it Jack Wagon?

Either way keep up the good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Im glad to see others taking inspiration from my builds! Youre off to a great start there. Its fun to come up with ideas to make it more scale.. that is my main focus these days is making the truck look less of a monster truck.. keep at it now..

RC Qualifier
    noir: Yes, this is my first attempt at brazing. There are some really good tutorials over on rc crawler. It is actually pretty simple. It's just like normal soldering, but a lot more heat and external flux. Only took 2 or 3 attempted joints to really get it down. I'm kinda bummed that I put it off so long .

markman: Thanks for the kind words. You're builds truly are inspirational. And I agree on making it less 'monster'. I'm going more for a buggy/rock racer look.

RC Qualifier
    started mocking up body panels...

i'll be making these out of a thin sheet of metal. trying to think about how i want to mount them. i like the simplicity of zip ties, but i'd really rather have a way to screw them on.

RC Qualifier
    I have one buggy frame thats mostly zipties for the body, meh. And two others with about 2 little tiny nuts welded to them, i prefer that one. Another alternative for some of your panels is lexan from the lowes or depot, it comes in nice little sheets, its really light and pretty easy to work with, plus you can paint the inside to make your paint last longer. I got into using a heat gun with it and you can conform it to anything! just an idea...

Great now I have to learn to braze.
    Thanks a lot guys . Lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    got some of the bracing in...

RC Champion
    Awesome work!

How much does it weigh do you think?

RC Qualifier
    no idea. it's now heavier than the stock body+exocage, that much I can tell.

RC Qualifier
    finally got a base coat of paint on it.

Decided to use plastic for body panels instead of steel to save on weight. can't decide on what colors i want, though. black cage and white or hot orange body panels or white cage with black or hot orange body panels what do you guys think?

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    I vote black right now BC I feel lazy Rollovers, crashes, and scrapes being what they are.

For the sake of being different, I am feeling the white/orange idea

How do your wheels figure into this?? That might be the decider....
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Qualifier
    tech 5's with cut mudslingers are the plan. my cage is kinda skinny on purpose for the decrease in width from the tech 5's.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    tech 5's with cut mudslingers are the plan. my cage is kinda skinny on purpose for the decrease in width from the tech 5's.
    Now that's thinking ahead

I just mounted a set of Trenchers on Tech5's. They barely clear my lowered stock body on full compression!
    The Kid

RC Qualifier
    I'm loving how this is turning out. Not sure how I feel about all the zip ties. Maybe it will look better with a bed and and some stickers. Time to get some mud slingers and start cutting

RC Qualifier
    Looks real nice. You can get colored zip ties as well if that helps. You may want to mount it lower as well. I run my cage pretty slammed cause as you know, they are pretty heavy.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    how heavy is that thing cause by looking at the pic looks like your tires are deflating, looks good though, very impressive!! indeed.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | 360mm XO-1 GT |

RC Qualifier
    i would like to have it a little lower, but the problem is the lower i go, the shorter the doors get so i can still access the battery doors without removing the cage. and if you notice, i tilted the rear section up just a tad to compensate for the 'revo squat' you get while driving around.

and yes it is pretty heavy. don't let the flat tires fool you though, my foams are BEAT, the tires sit flat even without any body on it.

RC Qualifier
    Finally got to run it, threw together a little pile of old wood and few rocks. I put a little too much preload in trying to compensate for the heavier cage. But I'm quite pleased with it so far.

RC Qualifier
    So, I was sitting here looking at a scaler I built, and wow...why didn't anyone tell me my summit was looking like an overpriced fisher price toy?? Here is my attempt at redemption...

First to get rid of the chincy plastic folder body panels held on by zip ties. I thought of a way to use screws...
    Cut little strips of 26 gauge steel

Bend around a piece of rod

Clamp down and it forms around the rod

Drill a hole

And make stuff work around here!

I like this thinner sheet metal, it's a lot lighter and I can cut it with scissors. Now I need to paint the body panels, paint the body panel mount 'tabs', get some more stainless screws to match

love the clamp idea for the panels thats just plain smart.the fact you made those as well is just the cherry on top!!
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    Wow... that is sweet, expecially with the screws. good work!

RC Qualifier
    Looks great! good work!
    Your nitro is fat...It ate my Brushless Dust!!!!

RC Champion
    Pretty slick sheetmetal work! I am intrigued to see the finish on the walls though...reminds me of growing up

" So, I was sitting here looking at a scaler I built, and wow...why didn't anyone tell me my summit was looking like an overpriced fisher price toy??"

We didn't wanna hurt your feelings, and we realize that it is everyone's God given right to create their summit build any way that they choose. That speed is a relative phenomenon, and non hath put forth in stone a speed limit on the summit. High rollers, low crawlers and Integy metallic monster bling will be henceforth treated fairly and equally. The stock summit, the fisher price replica and the funky gecko will all tread on the same rock, trail and stream with equal harmony and passion. For weather we run mudslingers, trencher X'
    s, or worn out and ripped up canyon ats, we are all equal in the eyes of God. . . . . and Traxxas.

But since you have shown to have thick skin and can take a lil criticism, . . . what really pushes your summit toward the fisher price toy box is the white roll cage. I realize it is your pride and joy but a manly black, grey, or even army drub green would give your truck a muÁh more serious look.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

And since it is now so open you have to stick a driver in there. A 6inch GI Joe or someone.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    Pretty slick sheetmetal work! I am intrigued to see the finish on the walls though...reminds me of growing up
    Are you referring to the walls in the room? If so, good catch. I scored this room for a mancave because "it's the ugliest one in the house!"

Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    We didn't wanna hurt your feelings...
    But since you have shown to have thick skin and can take a lil criticism, . . . what really pushes your summit toward the fisher price toy box is the white roll cage. I realize it is your pride and joy but a manly black, grey, or even army drub green would give your truck a muÁh more serious look.
    I would hope everyone leaves their feelings at home when posting on an internet forum, I know I do.
    And thanks for the advice. I'm starting to see what you mean about the white cage. Will be changing color shortly. Should make it look neat having multiple layers of paint when the carnage/scrapage starts happening. Which by the way, I CAN NOT wait to start beating on this thing!

RC Champion
    Yes the walls in the room....I dig it.

WOW NOIR - such eloquence in your repertoire; well put!

@ RIZZOD - the fastest way to start beating the thing up is......STOP MODDING IT!!!!! LOL! Shoot, If I were you, I would put fisher price stickers on it and of course, a flaming skull on the hood so the kids know how cool fisher price is!!

RC Qualifier
    I like this color combo better than the bright white/bright orange little tikes theme I had going, lol. At least I'm to a point now where I can start running it. Now I need to work on accessories

RC Qualifier
    I never liked the look of this chrome diff cover on the tamiya high-lift axles because it is way too big for them....but, they look pretty good on a summit
    I always keep parts when I break them (never know what you can chop them up into later), so I pulled out the summit bumper mount that broke on rollover # 1 and mounted the tamiya diff cover to it.

RC Racer
    Nice , looks really good, I like the orange better lol

MUUUUCCCHHHH BBBEETTTTEEEERRRR

Now thats a rock crawler I would not mind climbing into
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Champion
    Much better look overall, the other one looked good, but this looks like a whole new unit! Great work =)

RC Qualifier
    Originally a fan of the white BC it was different, but the dark frame looks better overall to me as well
    The Kid

Nice work mate...I like it .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Finally got some tires. I saw the shipping box and was like "dang, why'd they send my tires in such a big box?" I opened it up and was like . These tires are pretty big and heavy. The foams alone are bigger than the stock Canyon's .

I'm gonna star the foams and cut every other lug off the tires, which looks like it will take a while

I'm thinking my "V"'s are a little too wide, need to tighten them up a bit

Also, I'm thinking I won't get to put a full size spare on this rig...

RC Qualifier
    Looking real nice! Its gonna look mean as heck with the slingers. I tried a full sized spare too, for me it was too big so i tossed a 2.2 on there.