RC Enthusiast

Whats best way to fix threads in RPM arms?

The pillow balls pull out from the arms (threads part on RPM arms) on occasion and am looking to improve this. 2 thoughts: 1.fill hole with JB weld and drill and tap. 2.fill with 2 part epoxy,drill and thread pillow ball in. Anyone have experience or idea's on what would work better? Thanks all.

RC Enthusiast
    Oh, also thought about building out the arms a bit as to have more thread in the arms.

RC Qualifier
    RPM has a lifetime warranty send them back, get some new ones! you could fill the holes and re drill and tap , i dont think you'll just screw the pillow balls into to good epoxy you will probably have to tap them.... or as far as building them out try this
    http://kershawdesigns.com/WideningKit.htm

fill your a arm hole with good epoxy and screw the extenders in, let them dry good then reassemble the axle carriers youll also widen the stance buy 2"....JMO
    Last edited by goalieman3037; 09-09-2012 at 07:05 AM.
    (Rich)..If its stock.....leave it in the box!

I would use blue thread lock...its worked wonders for me.

Unfortunately RPM lifetime warranty does not cover stripped screw holes hole. You can read the warranty here.

http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/faq/warranty.htm#holes
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Enthusiast
    Will those extensions work with summit axles? Says to use stock axles and that's not going to work for me. That's quite a bit longer, think i'll just repair what I have and see how that goes.

RC Competitor
    How about heli-coils?
    Slayer Pro,Nitro Rustler,Jato,Slash 2wd,Slash 4wd.

RC Qualifier
    ca glue worked wonders for me it like thread lock for plastic ! when i was having the same problem out of some stock arms i just put some ca glue in the hole and screwed them in , and they been there ever since
    REVO 3.3, T MAXX 3.3 , JATO 3.3 , STAMPEDE VXL 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
    Will those extensions work with summit axles? Says to use stock axles and that's not going to work for me. That's quite a bit longer, think i'll just repair what I have and see how that goes.
    Heli-coils would work im sure. You don't have to drill the hole that much bigger to fit the heli-coil
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    yeah I did forget about the stripped hole problem not being covered, I dont think the locktite will work on plastic I think Id have to agree with Brandon and try the ca glue 1st, as far as the heli coils you'd have to find them in metric
    (Rich)..If its stock.....leave it in the box!

Quote Originally Posted by goalieman3037 View Post
    yeah I did forget about the stripped hole problem not being covered, I dont think the locktite will work on plastic I think Id have to agree with Brandon and try the ca glue 1st, as far as the heli coils you'd have to find them in metric
    I've used blue thread lock with great success in my stock arm. I slammed into a car tyre and ripped the bottom pivot ball out the a-arm. I put quiet a bit of blue thread lock on the pivot ball and screwed in. Made sure my camber was right and left over night to set.

I never had an issue with it again pulling out with the hard bashing I do
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    teflon tape until you get heli coils

RC Racer
    use loc-tite on heli-coil installation so they dont back out

RC Qualifier
    Definately ca glue, i set up my toe links with ca, i get it all set, marker pen the thread and then undo it, glue it and put it back together, i got sick of the ends stripping off, it hasnt happened since, if it works on this i am certain it would work for the a arms too,
    Signature removed due to excess awesomeness.

RC Enthusiast
    Well i got some time now to fiddle with fixing er up, heard a noise and it was slipping. Took it apart and my lst2 diff case was cracked and coming apart, guess i took too much material off and made it weak. New one on the way.

RC Enthusiast
    Well I'm tired of the balls pulling out of the rpm arms, so got some JB weld in there. I'll drill and tap tomorrow morning and see if that helps. Next one that comes out I'll try epoxy. Maybe.

RC Qualifier
    You could try a grub screw drilled into the side to grab the thread side on.

RC Enthusiast
    Good idea Mikey, also thought of putting a brass insert in there. Not sure how well it will bite into the rpm plastic. Any thoughts out there?

RC Qualifier
    I have used peetex a few times on various plastic threads, it's the plastic you melt into a snow board to fix gouges, they come in a pack of white sticks that you set fire to the end and drip the molten plastic into place. Available in most ski shops. That might be worth a shot if you can get your hands on some.

RC Enthusiast
    Well I ended up putting brass inserts in and so far so good! Had the right inserts laying around from the sloppy wheel mod, worked out great.

RC Qualifier
    How did you secure the inserts? Resin?

RC Enthusiast
    No, I just drilled the hole 1/4 in. and put the inserts in, when you screw in the screw the inserts spread out. they are knurled on the outside therefore they bite into the arms. I was concerned that the plastic on rpm arms is softer and they might not hold, so far so good.

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like a great fix. Any chance of some pics?