Thread: new guy here

Hybrid View

RC Racer

new guy here

Hi guys (and gals) I've been lurking around here for a bit and about to pull the trigger on a new Summit!! 1/10 scale. I've been out of rc for 20+ years and they have come a long way. What is the lingo "bashing, crawling?? will I be happy with the summit straight out of the box or will I need to make some changes?

thanks again

It depends on what you want to do?
    It's great right out of the box.
    Run it stock and then change things as you want or need to.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    Crawling refers to... crawling speeds, and crawling over things.
    Bashing refers to, general BASHING the car around - high speed, jumps, all terrain, just bashing the thing around.

The summit is a medium basher, and a quality crawler. Crawling is much more technical and challenging, and bashing is all around exciting and generally easier and quicker fun.

I enjoy both equally, and the Summit is as far as *I* am concerned, great at both regardless of what others say. It could have stiffer suspension to handle the turns and jumps, but then it wouldn't be able to crawl as well.

So when you get the car, you'll see how YOU want to drive it and before you know it you'll be asking, "why would anyone change this" OR "how do I make it do ______ better?"

Just be sure to never change the transmission when you're moving fast (say over 5mph) and be sure to not BASH (drive fast and hard) with the differentials locked, and you'll have a car that lasts and lasts! =)

RC Champion
    Out of the box the summit is great and its electronic features and versatility is what keeps the truck from being your average everday boring speed rc truck. But if you have been in the hobby then you know you will only want to keep it stock for a month or so. Its just the nature of the hobby.

Firmer tires would probably be the first item on your upgrade list followed by stiffer rear springs and discussions involving dewalt versus brushless set ups for more power.

Browse the Summit FAQ at the top of the screen. Even though it needs updating, its full of good information and some old guy worked hard on it.
    Last edited by noir 522; 09-08-2012 at 02:39 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    ^^
    That is some great advise.
    The Summit is one of those rare RC's that really don't need a whole lot out of the box.... except maybe stronger steering servos; but even then I did not feel the need for more muscle until I was crawling.

Bashing is jumping, driving anywhere... just having fun.
    Crawling is like 1:1 crawling... slowly trying to go over more and more difficult obstacles.

EDIT:
    I see there were two posts made while I typed. lol
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post

I see there were two posts made while I typed. lol
    Yea I see all four of us raced to respond to this one.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Racer
    well thanks guys, I do appreciate your responses and answers. There will be other questions after I get it home and use it for a while. This site is great and I'm sure I'll be frequenting it a bit more thanks again.

Q, I found it for 549 is that a good price or should I look elsewhere?

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    04zrx!

Getting back into the hobby afyer over 20 years myself, my son and I lurked and scoured for a couple of months before deciding on the Summit. As far as what you want to do with your RC, YouTube is a great place to look at Summits doing what they do best. That's what finally nailed it down for us. The video Sticky at the top of the forum is also great! You'll see videos posted by most of the folks who have already responded to your post, as well as many others!!

Price wise, that sounds pretty good to me, i havent shopped recently. I paid a little more for mine, but I purchased at a LHS and didn't mind doing so just for the support!
    Last edited by Mayberry Kid; 09-08-2012 at 06:17 PM.
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods