Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

92' Jeep Cherokee body on my Summit!!!

So my Jeep Cherokee body came in the mail today. I must say it's a pain to cut that thing out. May be because I used an exacto knife too, I don't know. Either way, I got it cut out. I am still waiting on my body post extensions to come in before i can mock it up on the truck. But so far I like it. Now the big desicion of paint......Thinking of a metallic black. I am running 40 series mudslingers and black chrome axial beadlock wheels. Also I will be adding a rack on the roof so that i can better mount my light bar.

RC Qualifier

If you think you are gonna do more bodies in the future I highly recommend a set like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Yes that would have helped out alot. The closest local hobby shop to me is almost 40 minutes away. My body turned out really well actually, but yes I will probably invest in them. Thank you.

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Can't wait to see it mocked up. Pics/posts showing the progression of a project are quite enjoyable. Not to mention tips like Happy's along the way also help out
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Champion
    Couple of silly questions.

Are you not supposed to paint first then cut?

Since the stock summit body is closely modeled after the cherokee would not the stock body post work? (If you have them)
    If you really want to make it killer, punch holes in the sides and attach the stock summit fenders
    Looking forward to seeing some pixs.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    Proline has racks on sale for $21

MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Enthusiast
    I am not too sure about paint then cut i have read mixed reviews. This is my first body so we will see. As for the body posts go, they need to be extended or the body will sit too low. The Summits roll cage makes up the difference. I was thinking about the Summit fenders too I am going to play with it a little and see how they would look. And that proline rack is the exact rack i was looking at to get. I will get some pictures up soon. Bear with me on this project guys, it may be a little slow going, I have been busy with work(Army) and I still don't have the body posts shipped here yet. They should be here next week. I am going to the hobby store for some paint this weekend.

RC Qualifier
    I hear ya about hobby shop distance. Mine is 85 miles door to door (170 miles round trip) IT SUCKS! I do a lot of online shopping...and a lot of waiting. You don't have to have body scissors or reamer they just help...they've been used by friends more than me but I always like to lend a hand...or tool

I do all my cutting then place my body on the truck for body post location, mark with a sharpie and pop in the holes with the reamer then paint.

Error towards leaving a little extra then blend with the dremel if needed. I have yet to get too crazy with paint schemes but would like too in the near future.

RC Enthusiast
    Here are some pictures of the body without the body holes punched. It sits ok now, I just realized it is just the back extensions that i would need. I was looking at the summit fenders and i am not too sure how nice they will fit. I am going to try to take them off today and see how they would work. I may try looking elsewhere for them. I am suprised they dont make a set for the cherokee yet.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/...d/88602662.jpg
    http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/...d/b52c411f.jpg
    http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/...d/0da62173.jpg
    http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/...d/326aba8b.jpg
    Last edited by corey.hoard; 09-08-2012 at 11:58 AM.

I put some on my bronco body it takes some doing and a heat gun or heat source

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    I hate clicking on links, and I bet a lot of others do too, so here's the pics:

Looks awesome, what a perfect fit too!

In the future just add [img] to the START of the link, and [/img] to the end of it, or just click the picture icon third from the right of the top of this "quick reply" window.

What colour are you planning on?

Happymachinist: What is that second tool?

Hole reamer

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    Nice truck guy. That body ( I think) is advertised as a 1/10 body but it fits great. Are you sure you need taller body posts? As it sits now the body still clears the battery boxes.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the tips on posting the pictures. As for color, I am not too sure yet. Kinda leaning towards a black metallic. As for the body the way it sits now, yes it does clear the battery compartment, but it sits lower in the back, I want to level the body out. My new body posts came in today, I will try to get them on and the holes reamed and then do a final mock up before i clean it and prep for paint.

RC Enthusiast
    Here are the pictures with the body holes cut. What do you all think? I think it fits pretty nice.

That's going to look good...real good
    Can't wait to see it painted
    I like doing shells now... Kinda lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    Ya I hear ya. I cant decide on what color to go with. I like the metallic black look. Is it a MUST to use lexan paint, or could I use something that i can get at a local store. I really dont want to travel 30 miles to the hobby store if i dont need to. Any color ideas?

RC Qualifier
    Color up to you...there is a huge difference between reg paint (including krylon fusion "made for plastic") and paint specifically made for lexan bodies such as pactra (my fav.)

RC Qualifier
    (I am a huge fan of black...ask my friends )

Quote Originally Posted by corey.hoard View Post
    Ya I hear ya. I cant decide on what color to go with. I like the metallic black look. Is it a MUST to use lexan paint, or could I use something that i can get at a local store. I really dont want to travel 30 miles to the hobby store if i dont need to. Any color ideas?
    You need to. Or wait for the mail/UPS/FedEx truck.
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, thanks guys.

RC Qualifier
    A cool trick i used on my silverado body was painting the inside silver. I then did the outside black and when it scratches it looks like an actual scratch on real metal. Just an idea, i dig that body alot! A few accessories and it will be a mean trail machine!

RC Enthusiast
    Haha sounds interesting....I like the body too. I am trying to figure out what accessories i will go with still.

RC Enthusiast
    Paint is ordered. Pictures will come soon.

RC Enthusiast
    Here it is with the windows masked off. Next is the fender flares. I ordered black metallic paint for the body, and regular black for the fender flares. I will have to free tape the flares, but should go smoothly.

RC Qualifier
    lookin good for sure. can't wait to see it with paint. not sure what it is, but i think jeeps scale down very well.

RC Champion
    Guess its kinda too late now but a cheap truck that I do is to use bulldog adhesive promoter spray.

This gives the body some "tackyness" then you can spray on top of it all the cheap walmart spray can colors you can find. The can cost about $16 from autozone then you can buy all the $3 16oz cans of spray colors you want. Pays ofor itself after the second body. Much cheaper than buying $7 for a 4oz cans of a single color pactra paint. And I believe in cheap
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Enthusiast
    Ahh dang, well I will keep that in mind when I purchase another body. Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    Guess its kinda too late now but a cheap truck that I do is to use bulldog adhesive promoter spray.

This gives the body some "tackyness" then you can spray on top of it all the cheap walmart spray can colors you can find. The can cost about $16 from autozone then you can buy all the $3 16oz cans of spray colors you want. Pays ofor itself after the second body. Much cheaper than buying $7 for a 4oz cans of a single color pactra paint. And I believe in cheap
    I will have to try this! I wanted my Summit od green but couldnt find any lexan paint in that color.

How is the adhesion promoter when it comes to masking?

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Champion
    As far as masking it as just as good as your skills. Last year I did a Maximum Destruction body for my son, the two tone paint and masking came out great. My skills was the thing that needed work.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like we would be in the same boat then. My masking skills aren't as good as they could be but at the end of the day they get the job done. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Enthusiast
    My roof rack came in today. Just waiting on paint. I cant wait to see it finished up.

RC Champion
    Cool I have plans of getting the same proline rack. Quick question there are mounting holes in the front for lights to sit on top, but is there enough space between the upper and lower bars to mount the lights upside down ( ie between the two bars instead of sitting upon the top bar)?
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Enthusiast
    No probably not, i will measure it later today.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by corey.hoard View Post
    No probably not, i will measure it later today.
    Nope not enough room for light BETWEEN the bars, why my rack was put back in the its box., or until I have time to mess with it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    Cool I have plans of getting the same proline rack. Quick question there are mounting holes in the front for lights to sit on top, but is there enough space between the upper and lower bars to mount the lights upside down ( ie between the two bars instead of sitting upon the top bar)?
    Not available yet but look at these and are made by proline for their roof rack
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Light-Bar-Kit

RC Enthusiast
    Yep, I just ordered those along with 5 5mm LED lights.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok so I got the Summit flares to work. I think it looks pretty good. I was kind of thinking of making a snorkel out of the Summit body, the bends are just about perfect. Any thoughts on that as well.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, here it is all finished up. All thats left is the lights on the roof rack.

RC Enthusiast
    The paint is Metallic black if anyone is wondering.
    Last edited by corey.hoard; 09-18-2012 at 10:06 PM.