Thread: New Slayer

RC Competitor

New Slayer

I've just traded my MERV for a slayer. I'm not new to R/c by any means but i'm a "virgin" to Nitro. What can you guys tell me to help me out?

Welcome to the Slayer fourms! First of all, I guessing your Slayer is stock. I would get sway bars, they help a TON with the handling, you use a thicker shock oil to not help flip it too. Like 50wt or somthing like that. The center diff and rear brake kits are great if you want to race, because it help distribute the power between the front and rear tires, like 10/90 back on hard full throttle launches, and 80/20 when you go through a turn. Stock it 50/50 power to front and rear tires. As far as good upgrades go, you don't need much. The Slayer is one of the best trucks you can get, so you don't need upgrades. You might want better tires, for the stock ones don't have much grip. Because your new to nitro, here is a great guide to help to tune it well. http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...70#post2451270 Hope this helps! If you have any other questions, just send me a pm!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Competitor
    Sweet thanks!! (: The only problem I have with it is it's extremely top heavy and LOVES to roll over. I'll probably end up widening it and getting new tires first. Is 70wt to heave for the shocks? Thats all I have with me at the moment.

Ya, 70wt is a "bit" heavy, but hey, some people use 80wt. You can use what you want, really. What kind of driving with you be doing? Pavement? Dirt? Grass? Each surface does better with a differnt kind of shock oil wt. 50-40wt is usally the all around best shock oil. Good luck!

RC Competitor
    I'll pick up some 50 tomorrow. I'll just use it for a little of everything. Just an all around truck. Is the only way I can widen it is my using the PRO arms? I can't find aftermarket arms for it anywhere!!

RC Racer
    Your not looking hard enough lol theres plenty of aftermarket arms. lol just google it lol welcome to the forums!!
    I'm hittin' easy street on mud tires.

Your not looking hard enough lol theres plenty of aftermarket arms. lol just google it lol welcome to the forums!!
    True, there are some aftermarket arms. But most of them are like 40 for a set of 2!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    True, there are some aftermarket arms. But most of them are like 40 for a set of 2!
    Nobody said that this was a cheap hobby lol

RC Competitor
    I'm telling you I can't find ANY arms what so ever. So I just had the local shop order me some slayer PRO arms. I'd like to get a decent exhaust for it. To improve a little speed, torque, and sexy sound lol What's good?

RC Racer
    I herd buku exhausts are good but are expensive I have the low end by traxxas and it's pretty good but I'm thinking about changing the pipe back to stock high end performance. And is it the first gen slayer our the more recent slayer pro? Because the sway bar kit is the way to go regardless of which model

RC Competitor
    Its the first gen. My main concern right now is widening it. It rolls way to easy on my street!

If you want to widen it, the best thing to do is upgrade it to the Slayer Pro specs. Or you could get Revo arms, but that would just make it a moster truck... Here are the parts you need to make it a Slayer Pro...

3.3 Revo the chassis 5322.....$42.00
    Front drive shaft 5456.....$4.00
    Steering linkage 5341......$3.40

The Slayer Pro 4X4 a-arms
    5931X RF..............$7.50
    5932X LF..............$7.50
    5933X RR..............$7.50
    5934X LR..............$7.50

Also the wheels

5976R Tires & wheels, assembled, glued (S1 ultra-solft offroad
    racing compound) (SCT Split-Spoke satin
    chrome, black beadlock style wheels, Kumho tires,
    foam inserts) (2) (front/rear) ........................................$ 28.00
    5975R Tires & wheels, assembled, glued (S1 ultra-solft offroad
    racing compound) (SCT Split-Spoke, chrome red
    beadlock wheel, BFGoodrich® Mud-Terrain™ T/A®
    KM2 tire, inserts) (2) (front/rear) ..................................$ 28.00

And a new body.

5912 Body, Slayer Pro 4X4 (clear, untrimmed, requires
    painting)/window masks/decal sheets ...........................$ 40.00
    5919 Body, Slayer Pro 4X4, Greg Adler, 4 Wheel Parts (painted,
    decals applied).......................................... .........................................$ 65.00
    5925 Body, Slayer Pro 4X4, Mark Jenkins #25 (painted, decals
    applied) .................................................. ............................................$ 65.00
    5926 Body, Slayer Pro 4X4, Mike Jenkins #47 (painted, decals
    applied) .................................................. ............................................$ 65.00
    5917 Body, Slayer Pro 4X4, Scott Douglas/Mike Oberg (painted,
    decals applied)..........................................

The prices are from Traxxas.com, so most of the parts are over priced. Online stores like Amainhobbies.com and my favorite, Rcplanet.com will have the parts for alot less. Your lhs shop have the parts for the same, or less money. Hope this helps!

RC Competitor
    I had planned on getting the chassis after school settles down (: Is this what I need?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Slay...item564b3117d9

I had planned on getting the chassis after school settles down (: Is this what I need?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Slay...item564b3117d9
    Yep, that's the correct one!

RC Competitor
    Sweet!! Would the sway bar help any with rollover on the road? Or would it make it worse? I'm assuming worse. I will take it to the track but I usually will just run it around the house and up and down the road mainly. Bashing with track visits once or twice a week (:

Sweet!! Would the sway bar help any with rollover on the road? Or would it make it worse? I'm assuming worse. I will take it to the track but I usually will just run it around the house and up and down the road mainly. Bashing with track visits once or twice a week (:
    How can sway bars make it worse? The soul function of the sway bars are to make it not flip as much on hard surfaces. (Pavment) The sway bars are GREAT!

RC Racer
    The sway bars make a huge difference just keep them soft on the rear and about medium in the front

RC Competitor
    Okay then sway bars will be a MUST. lol I'm just short on money ): I had to quit my last job due to POOR management. I'm hopping to get a job and the local hobby shop though (: That'd be AWESOME. Thanks for all the help guys. I'm loving my new/used Slayer!!!
    "Haters gonna hate, bashers gonna bash!!"