RC poster

Tmaxx 3.3 Engine Problems

Hello my fellow Traxxas users!
    I have had the Tmaxx 3.3 for about a year now and love it. It is a really great hobby and I get a lot of enjoyment out of it. It was my first RC vehicle (which nitro probably wasn't a great idea) and have upgraded the A arms, shocks, tons of spur gears, glow plugs, made a custom body, fixed a broken engine mount etc. I have been having some engine problems with it lately. A few months ago at a party my friend wrecked it into a curb at full speed (I DEFINITELY should not have let him drive it) and since then I have been working to fix the suspension, skid plate, and a bunch of other small parts that ended up costing me a fortune . I finally ended up getting everything fixed but the next time I ran it the engine has been running VERY rich and has been smoking extensively. Any attempt to lean it either makes it bogg down or make it not able to idle. I have spent a lot of time adjusting the HSN and the LSN but no luck. I noticed that the HSN was a little chewed up so I bought a new one, along with a glow plug. Didn't make a difference. I have only ran one gallon of fuel through it so the engine definitely shouldn't be going old. Also I take care of my engine and don't run it too lean so it shouldn't be burning up by any means. The darn thing was even smoking out of the top of the head a little at the end of my attempts of tuning. I really, really home I don't have to buy a new engine. Any responses are greatly appreciated.
    -Caleb

RC Champion
    Do u have a temp gauge usually smoke from the glow plug means overheated??

RC poster
    I do not have a temp gauge unfortunately.

RC Champion
    Are u tunning hsn, Lsn idle in that order is it cutting out at full throttle or in take off

RC poster
    I is cutting out at WOT from take-off. And yes i am tuning in that order.

RC Champion
    And u already replaced the whole carb assemblie right?

RC poster
    Just the HSN and the metal part that goes into the carb.

RC Champion
    Sounds to me like it's really lean have u gone back to factory settings and started form there yet

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by aluminumboat123 View Post
    noticed that the HSN was a little chewed up so I bought a new one, a
    -Caleb
    What do u mean by chewed up the black part on top or what?

RC poster
    The needle ( or screw) was a little stripped. also the needle was stuck into the black plastic.

RC Champion
    Ok could it have been stripped out in the carb body creating a leak? That would explain the lean issue

RC poster
    I have a question. I bought a new High speed needle and the screw is not pivoting in the plastic. is there a way to get it to spin to tune it?

RC Champion
    So even when u screw it in or out it does not turn?

Sounds like your HSN housing is stripped... It's easy to do, just a slight cross threading will strip it out quickly... Also the HSN housing does not need to be very tight...

Once that housing is stripped,,,, you need a new carb body or a new carb.... It will not repair very well and it needs to or your engine will fry...

Also you mention tuning your LSN, are you using the pinch test? That's the easiest way to do it. And don't forget to tune with no more than 1/2 a tank...

Temp gauge? A $25.00 investment to protect your $150.00 motor is worth it... Duratrax Flashpoint is good enough for the job...

A smoking cooling head usually is a sign of temps being over 270,,, good way to kill an engine quickly if damage has not been already done at this point....
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC poster
    Thanks nitronaught! I'm definitely going to get a temp gauge... thanks for the advice! I'm a little upset that I'm gonna need to get a new carb because that is 45 bucks on top of a temp gauge. Its worth it though.......

RC Champion
    Just get the carb body u have all the components http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=82822078369

RC poster
    Thank you VERY much Emaxx1991 and Nitronaught, you guys have helped me tons. I am going to order a new Carb body from Ebay and hopefully my problems will be solved. You guys are the best, I will repost when its fixed!!!

RC Champion
    Good deal hope it fixes the issue

Last edited by Wildman4910; 09-08-2012 at 08:44 PM.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC poster
    -----NEW UPDATE-----
    Today I was trying to start my truck and it was not turning over so i put my finger over the exhaust to get fuel in the lines and there was basically no pressure building in the lines at all! I could just hold my finger over the exhaust and it was not getting very much fuel Into the lines whatsoever. This tells me that there is possibly a leak in the system somewhere..... What could this mean?

RC Champion
    It could be your tank have u checked your tank seals

Check all the fuel lines, the exhuast coupler for tears.
    Check the fuel tank for cracks & the tank lid for a tight seal or damaged seal.
    Put a little soapy water around the HSN to see if it leaks.
    Somewhere in your fuel system you have a leak as it should prime very fast when you plug the exhuast.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!