RC poster

Brushless, robust, endurance setup?

Hi there,

As my EVX-2 went up in smoke, I'm thinking about getting a brushless system for my summit.
    I'm adding a camera to it so I can drive it FPV, therefore my goal is not speed (I don't need a lot more top speed for it) but endurance and power.

I'm usually flying quads, planes and helis, and I have no idea about car motorization.. that's why I'd like to ask for your input for the following criteria:

- Powerful brushless control & motor (efficiency)
    - Focus is not on top speed
    - Would be nice if it is still waterproof (although I doubt this is possible without a lot of effort)
    - Not too expensive (no high end mamba stuff)

I would be thankful if you can give me some starting points or similar setups of people not focusing on top speed with the summit but an overall efficient system.

Thanks a lot,
    Christoph

RC Qualifier
    ........is there a particular reason youre asking about converting to brushless!?

the reason i ask is most (99%) of people who go brushless are after the speed benefits...

from what you're describing, and im sure others will echo this... i would suggest the Dewalt 14.4v brushed upgrade. everything i heard about it reflect what you're describing that you want. as far as what speed controller to get.... have your pic the evx2 will work just fine with the dewalt and is cheap and easy to get.

RC Champion
    Not too expensive ends up putting you from the $350 range down to the $100-$150 range. Any of the brand names that that fit that range can't be posted on this forum by name, but basically just go looking around for 1/8th sensored brushless combo. You're certain to find what I'm referring to.

Telling people on this forum to go buy "JohnDoe Brand" isn't what the forum is for, but if you have it already and want to share how you've installed it in to your Traxxas vehicle, there's no issue doing that.

So again, if you're looking for alternate, "1/8th esc / sensored motor combo" than search the web for just that!

There aren't any waterproof sensored systems out there, I built one just using liquid electric tape for my Traxxas 1/16 E-Revo, and it works great!

SPEED is of no real concern as it can all be adjusted with gearing anyway, but you probably want a 1800-2100kv motor system with an ESC that can run at least 4s.

What's most important with vehicles - and all equipment really - is don't get the cheapest 4s system, get the affordable 6s and use only 4s on it, and that'll ensure endurance across the board. Get MORE than you need, so you're never stressing anything.

As far as motors are concerned, the only real difference seems to be noticed by the extreme modders. You buy a $35 motor, or a $150 motor and most people won't notice a difference, so again just be sure to buy a sensored 1/8th brushless motor and you'll almost certainly be fine.

Good luck with your research, that's what this hobby is all about imo!

RC Enthusiast
    Hobbywing xerun 1800KV combo, verry powerfull and eficient setup you will recieve 2 pinion gears, water resistant ESC (NOT waterproof ! ), the motor and a computer to fine tune the ESC, also a mounting plate for the ESC is included that fits the chassis on the fly. Cost about 200 - 250$ and its Sensored! you need that for crawling and slow speed start. But be aware, the warranty is only 185 days.

Mine:
    Last edited by MonsterDigger; 09-06-2012 at 02:14 PM.

The dewalt will do everything you asked
    And waterproof+ the kicker it's cheap
    Like $30 cheap

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC poster
    Thanks a lot for your suggestions

So, with my goal in mind - what are the pros and cons for brushed (dewalt) vs brushless (like the hobbywing combo)?

RC Enthusiast
    Well you answerd you own question basically,you dont need the speed of a brushless setup, dewalt is a good brushed motor, waterproof and good torqeu.. cheap. when you call traxxas for evx2 replacement yr good to go

Brushless: speed, awsome torqeu, efficient power use but not waterproof, not all sets are sensored, expensive..
    Brushed Dewalt: good torqeu, little faster than 775, waterproof, fits the stock evx2, inexpensive..

RC Champion
    I just picked up a sensored brushless 2100kv 2100watt motor for $50, and from everything I could tell (haven't received it yet) it's a much better option than a brushed motor. ONLY because it's much much more efficient - you will get longer run times - similarly priced, super strong (2100watts is a 2 kilowatt electric motor) and again similarly priced means, "why not!?"

As far as waterproofing goes, there's no real difference between brushed and brushless, they both work fine with water, but they can both be destroyed by water, such as full speed revving while submerged. Again being that you want to go slow, you would want a sensored motor, annnnd sensors aren't waterproof but they're also nothing special either, it's a very simple set of sensors that when coated in liquid electric tape.... as good as waterproof! I ran my brushless velineon motor under water all the time, no issues there. I ran my brushed titan under water, no issues there. If you want a submarine though, I'd suggest getting something like... a submarine haha!

So as everyone has said, the Dewalt is great, but if you're going to do that I suggest just sticking with the Titan, as IT is great and even cheaper and readily available.

If you want to spend $50 in total, get Traxxas to warrenty your EVX2 and stick to the Titan.
    If you want to spend over $100, go sensored brushless.

That's about all there is to it I guess.

RC Enthusiast
    The Hobbywing EZRUN-WP-SC8 (120A) is waterproof. There's a thread in the E-Maxx section:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...g-s-SC8-WP-ESC

Pair that up with a Hobbywing or Tacon 2000-ish kv and you'll have a $150 waterproof brushless system.

But I agree that the brushed setup is quite suited for the antics of a Summit.
    Last edited by cto; 09-06-2012 at 05:49 PM.
    BL E-Revo|BL E-Maxx|Revo 3.3|Summit|KB Rally

RC Champion
    But it's sensorless which is useless for crawling, it's no issue finding waterproof sensorless brushless ESCs, but when it comes to sensored (allowing a brushless motor to operate at very low rpm very smoothly) there aren't any "waterproof" units on the market.

Most all of the units have a conformal spray anyway which makes then all splash resistant, but there's no units sold under the tagline, "WATERPROOF Sensored ESC!"

RC Qualifier
    Really if go fast isnt what you want to do the dewalt is the best option.