Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Here are a couple more pics I took the other day before completely annihilating this body. 110 mph roof slide not so good for paint job. Body was rubbing the right front tire at speed with downforce and it drove right in to the grass. I'm testing some new MaxAmps batteries.

RC Qualifier
    I have the same camera! For the price you pay, that thing takes a decent video!
    XO-1 #4...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bringit View Post
    I have the same camera! For the price you pay, that thing takes a decent video!
    Yeah, for 20 bucks it really isn't that bad.

RC Qualifier
    New best of 121 today. Stock motor. Ripped my parachute up. Gonna have to make a tougher one.

RC Racer
    Man you guys are really making some progress !!! Sucks about your parachute though !!! How did you gain 10 more mph since last time ?? Are you running the 34 pinion or did you go bigger ?? Nice !!!

RC Qualifier
    Went 134 today. Found some new problems but should be an easy fix.

RC Qualifier
    Holy Smokes! I got some catching up to do here on the forum. You've made some milestones that we could only dream of 6 months ago. Very nice!

RC Racer
    Very Nice Stench !!!! I've been waiting for you to post some more mph !!!! Did you get video ?? Come on man ..... Video please.

RC Qualifier
    That's pretty awesome. We need to see some videos of that thing!
    XO-1 #4...

RC Qualifier
    Here is a quick little vid for you guys. Parachute deployment at speed.
    Watch it in HD and turn your speakers up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpRdDUHZdfo

RC Qualifier
    Great vid!

You mean 134 KM/H right?

RC Qualifier
    No. MPH. We don't use Km/H around here.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TheStenchOfSpeed View Post
    Here is a quick little vid for you guys. Parachute deployment at speed.
    Watch it in HD and turn your speakers up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpRdDUHZdfo
    I'll admit... I'm jealous that I don't have access to a running area like you do. You couldn't ask for a better area to run. Don't take this the wrong way... but buy a GPS already, lol

The parachute is holding up very well at high speeds
    E Revo brushless, XO-1, Nitro 4 tec 3.3, HPI RS4

RC Racer
    WOW 134? that thing's a BEAST!!! sounded like a land missile flying by. finally no more XO-1 KILLER this and that on youtube.

@AnthonyV that's a crazy monster of an S2 you have. I have an 05 berlina myself but nothing like yours though

RC Racer
    btw TheStenchOfSpeed i have a ton of carbon fiber sitting around from my anti bump steer bracket mod so if you would like a set lmk. i'll have a set made for ya for free.
    Last edited by FartOfDoom; 11-19-2012 at 10:45 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyV View Post
    I'll admit... I'm jealous that I don't have access to a running area like you do. You couldn't ask for a better area to run. Don't take this the wrong way... but buy a GPS already, lol

The parachute is holding up very well at high speeds
    Yeah, I have a buddy that has one that I might borrow next time I go out. The parachute actually snapped another line on the next pass. I still haven't made a stronger one....just keep patching this one up lol. When it breaks a line, the parachute acts like a sail and jerks the car hard to one side or the other. Makes for some interesting driving to say the least. I keep working on making the car faster instead of fixing the chute.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by FartOfDoom View Post
    btw TheStenchOfSpeed i have a ton of carbon fiber sitting around from my anti bump steer bracket mod so if you would like a set lmk. i'll have a set made for ya for free.
    Thanks for the offer but I don't really think it would help me right now. I have my front suspension travel very limited so there really isn't that much bump steer going on, but thanks anyways bud.

The rear of the car is actually dragging the road now at speed. The bottom of the car is absolutely fried. I knew I had a lot of downforce but just ten more MPH has completely compressed my rear springs. Amazing. I'm using the red with gold stripe ones now but I have a few different ones on the way that are stiffer. With a few more things I'm working on I think I can go over 140 in a few days.

RC Racer
    very nice..... how are you measuring speed?.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by FartOfDoom View Post
    WOW 134? that thing's a BEAST!!! siounded like a land missile flying by. finally no more XO-1 KILLER this and that on youtube.

@AnthonyV that's a crazy monster of an S2 you have. I have an 05 berlina myself but nothing like yours though
    Thanks... i sold it a few months ago as I now have a 600whp Nissan GTR.

A few months ago everyone doubted the xo1 could ever do over 105mph. Ive had my 8s up to 127mph measured with GPS sofar and I have yet to hit full throttle with it. Its nice to see stench also having great results but the telemetry system can not be trusted. If it could then my stock 6s xo1 should be doing 120mph instead of 108. My 8s telemetry set-up is also off by 30-50mph on passes (180mph telemetry vs 127mph gps/radar gun). The other problem is not being able to select the XL2 ESC in the traxxas link app can also lead to further skewed results. While stench is having problems with too much downforce Im seeming to have problems with too little downforce as I have had a few flips at speeds above 115mph. It could be possible my rear is hitting the ground which is causing my front to lift... but I have not been able to get any videos to actually help pin point the issue.

I am willing to bet that stench is doing at least 115mph... but 6s actually doing 130+mph verified w radar or GPS would be very hard to achieve. Stench couldnt ask for a better running area though. Just curious, have you looked over the datalogs on your runs yet? What kind of rpms are you pulling at WOT?
    Last edited by AnthonyV; 11-20-2012 at 10:24 AM.

RC Qualifier
    My peak motor rpm on the 134 pass was 30,500. My set up is completely custom though, and doesn't really correlate to anything else.

RC Qualifier
    I was curious if the xl2 would allow increased rpms on the stock motor. Are you still running the traxxas 25c lipos?

Im almost tempted to pull the xl2 off my 8s on pop it on my 6s to see how it compares.

RC Qualifier
    I don't know. I will tell you that a few weeks ago I still had the stock 34 tooth pinion and at the time my set up would run 109-110 consistently every pass. It was completely out of wind at that speed. I switched to MaxAmps batteries and could consistently run 115-116.

RC Racer
    Same size battery just different brand ?? If so wow !!! I'd say thats well worth it !!

RC Qualifier
    MaxAmps run about $375+ a set for 6s 5000mah's for either 100c or 150c. The actual C rating if you are comparing to other lipos are 1/2 that much. Meaning, MaxAmps advertises them as a 100c but are really a 50c/100c. The stock lipos are 25c/50c. The speed gains you have gotten are pretty much identical to what I got with the MaxAmp 6000 100c's that I have. My thunder power 65/130c blow the MaxAmps out of the water though. I get about 5mph faster results with my TP vs MA on my xo1. Its not all about top speeds though as the TP's have so much more punch off the line as well as midrange power/punch. I also run the MA and TP's on my Spartan and the TP's will give on average 6-8mph higher top speeds.

RC Racer
    Wow !!! Thanks for the info. I'm going to write this down so in case I ever do find a good spot to play with top speeds this will give me more to play with. At my grandma's funeral today my cousins and I started talking about this and that and I think i might have found a good spot. But winter is around the corner now. i just got back in from running the snot out of my car. The way it sounds just a few more days and I might be done !!! I'm taking advantage of the good weather. Happy Thanksgiving you guys !!!! Hope you all have a good one.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyV View Post
    MaxAmps run about $375+ a set for 6s 5000mah's for either 100c or 150c. The actual C rating if you are comparing to other lipos are 1/2 that much. Meaning, MaxAmps advertises them as a 100c but are really a 50c/100c. The stock lipos are 25c/50c. The speed gains you have gotten are pretty much identical to what I got with the MaxAmp 6000 100c's that I have. My thunder power 65/130c blow the MaxAmps out of the water though. I get about 5mph faster results with my TP vs MA on my xo1. Its not all about top speeds though as the TP's have so much more punch off the line as well as midrange power/punch. I also run the MA and TP's on my Spartan and the TP's will give on average 6-8mph higher top speeds.
    When I was looking for batteries I called Thunder Power first and talked with one of their sales guys. I told him what I was trying to do and discussed it with him at length. To my surprise, he seemed to believe that batteries wouldn't help me much if any at in achieving a higher top speed. Acceleration yes, top speed no. I was a little shocked by this because it was the complete opposite of what i had read over and over. Sooooo.....I hung up the phone and called Maxamps. Talked to their rep. He said the opposite. Voltage under load would be higher which would yield a higher engine speed and thus "mo faster". I ordered batteries. I guess because he was telling me what I wanted to hear, lol.

If what your saying is true, TP's would have made my 12-13 mph faster than the Traxxas batteries. Isn't it weird that the TP guy didn't seem to think his batteries would help? I feel like calling him back and telling him he's an idiot.

RC Qualifier
    Stench, I sent you a PM regarding the flat wing design.

Sometimes you get someone that knows what they are talking about, sometimes you get a 'salesman', and then sometimes you get someone that knows nothing. Kinda reminds me of the idiot that I spoke to at Castle Creations that blamed my Traxxas lipo's for my first XL2 cap failure. You'll see a lot of mixed reviews floating around online about Max Amps and how they tend to over-rate their lipo's. Several guys have done IR tests and have confirmed that Max Amps actual C ratings were much lower than the 'claimed rating.' I would say from personal experience that Thunder Powers far out perform the Max Amps. If you call Castle Creations they will recommend Thunder Power lipo's point blank. At the end of the day, you may see a few MPH difference if anything. I'll be honest, as far as bang for the buck goes... I'm still impressed with my cheap china lipo's at 1/3 of the price of Thunder Powers and Max Amps.

What the Thunder Power salesman told you does not sound right whatsoever. As you stated, it sounds like the complete opposite of the results that I have achieved. You probably spoke to Josh over at MaxAmps... and he is right on the money with his explanation. I've done datalogs and compared the voltage sags and RPM's under full load from one lipo to another and verified what Josh has told you.

I mentioned that I have seen "similar" results when comparing the Traxxas lipo's to the Max Amps lipo's based on your telemetry readings. I saw similar gains via telemetry... but actual MPH was different according to GPS/Radar gun. For example, my highest run at 108mph had a peak telemetry MPH of 124mph if I recall correctly. Either way, if you are seeing a consistent gain in MPH then chances are what you're doing is working out.

Here are my results on 6s with my XO1.

Traxxas 25c/50c - 100mph (1000ft) - Full Charge - (These lipo's were used for 5-6mo before I bought them) - GPS/Gun

Max Amps 100c - 103mph (1000ft) - Full Charge - GPS/Gun

Thunder Power 65c/130c - 108mph (1000ft) - Full Charge - GPS/Gun

Banned China Lipo's 65c/130c - 103mph (900ft) - Full Charge - GPS/Gun

RC Qualifier
    Here are the latest casualties of the nuclear option. Broken spur gear drive shaft and candy caned half shafts. I'll be down for a couple days rounding up some parts.

RC Enthusiast
    I think the braking causes the half shafts to bend.

RC Qualifier
    These are from the passenger side rear. Which would mean they were candy caned under acceleration. Probably were already bent. I doubt this would have happened otherwise.

RC Qualifier
    Are you 100% sure that the twisted axles and damaged spur drive was not a result of the chute being deployed many times over speeds of 100mph? Anything is possible... but it's hard to believe that you distorted the axles that much running 6s under acceleration. You would have to pretty much have perfect traction at launch and laying almost into full throttle immediately. The only failure I've had at launching is a snapped pin going into the differential output shaft. This has happened 3x on my 6s set-up running foams (with traction compound applied) and Thunder Power 65c's. The foams hook unbelievable well off of the line. I would honestly think that the initial twisting/failure would be a result of the drag chute deploying at speeds over 100mph over the span of many of your runs. It just seems that if you jam into the throttle off of the line on slicks you'll end up spinning instead of hooking. But, anything is possible though.

On a side note, hats off to you on the design of the adjustable flat wing. Thank you also for going into the design and sharing your results with us. I took my 8s out today in hopes of testing out the new wing. As my luck has it, the pinion gear stripped out pretty much immediately. I had my stock 6s XO1 with me so I decided to give it a try to see how well it worked. The flat wing design works flawlessly. The flat wing allows you to get into full throttle VERY quickly and the car literally tracks like it is on rails. I did not have any issues with bottoming out due to down force (yet)... but I have not had time to modify the adjustment angle or run at lengths over 1000ft.

On stock Traxxas lipo's here were my results for the day:

STOCK WING
    Traxxas 25c/50c - 100mph (1000ft) - Full Charge - (These lipo's were used for 5-6mo before I bought them) - GPS/Gun

ADJUSTABLE FLAT WING
    Traxxas 25c/50c - 750ft - 11.6v per lipo - GPS verified - 102mph

The wing allowed me to gain 2mph with 250ft less running distance and lipo's that were not fully charged (12.6v vs 11.6v). Keep in mind, I did not have my gyro installed either. After running this wing, I may take the gyro off for good because this car tracks straight as an arrow now with this wing. I cannot wait to test it out on my 8s set-up. This wing should definitely help me keep my back end down above speeds of 120mph judging from today's results.

Pics of wing (Clear lexan - not painted):

And a few video's. Yea I know I didn't pan over to my GPS unit... I was by myself and ran into enough problems today with having the TQi screw up on me left and right (not recognizing my vehicle and converting to all default settings over and over again).

102mph pass - Ended up bottoming out on the asphalt at the end of the run.

100mph pass.
    Last edited by AnthonyV; 12-02-2012 at 09:40 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Cool. Glad to see it worked out for you. Wing angle is definetely important. I actually think I have a little too much right now. Also, the faster you go, the more down force you will have. (on the back)

As far as the axles are concerned, I think what breaks them is when you run them after they are bent. It's just like a driveshaft in a car. If it's straight it will run forever. If it's bent it will continue to twist until it comes out. Also, getting the car airborne at high speeds allows the drive train to freewheel to really high speeds (over 155 in my case) and then slam back down on the ground. When you combine this with a lot of power, and an extremely heavy modified car, something has to give.

As far as power goes, I don't really want to elaborate yet, but my car is extremely unconventional. I would be very surprised if my car is not the most powerful XO-1 on the planet. I doubt the Kershaw stuff even comes close.

RC Champion
    What, you found something better than Kershaw's cheap motor line? Stop pulling my leg. Why the secrecy? Is AV's alleged mph's getting too close to your alleged mph?

Thanks

Mr. Nye

RC Qualifier
    I'm looking forward to running the wing on the 8s set-up. Yesterday was my first time running my 6s set-up since getting the 8s up and running. Long story short, the 6s seems like I'm driving a snail compared to my 8s set-up. I'd say 50% throttle on the 8s equals about 100% throttle on my 6s which has modified castle link settings and the torque limiting disabled.
    As you stated about real drag cars, you're correct about the axles. The weakest link is eventually going to fail. The wrecks and flips definitely play a toll on the axles and drive train. If you are not only deploying the chute but also hitting the brakes
    then you are really putting an extreme amount of stress on the axles during breaking. In the real world, it's common to see axles fail during hard launches... but the XO1 is not really comparing apples to apples. I think it's safe we both understand the theory here. Regardless, you have a powerful set-up so as you stated something is eventually going to fail.

I am curious to hear what this 'nuclear' option is that you are running. I'm assuming at this point you have swapped out the
    stock 1717 motor. I'm honestly not trying to start an internet argument with you... but you are in the same profession that I am in. We are both dyno tuners and when comparing two set-ups to one another we want to compare apples to apples. Just like you don't compare a DynoJet dyno chart to a Mustang/Mainline/DynoDynamics Dyno chart. I deal with guys that come in on a daily basis that leave completely butt hurt after they do a few dyno runs and find out that their "Dynamometer simulation software" on their EMS/Cobb AccessPort/HP Tuners(VirtualDyno) application's horsepower readings were not 100% accurate compared to what my DynoJet registered. If you want to compare apples to apples you're going to need to buy a $40 GPS unit and/or $70 radar gun. There is just way too much inconsistency with the Telemetry. The EMS dyno similulation software is essentially like the Telemetry in the RC world. It basically boils down to the old accuracy vs precision deal. You're getting precise results via the telemetry... but I'm willing to bet they are not accurate. You're going faster than you were originally on the stock xo1... we all get that.

Again, I'm not trying to start an argument but if you're going to claim that you have the fastest anything you better be prepared to back it up with real world proof. I commend you for all of the modifications you've done and there's no doubt in my mind that you are doing at least 115-120mph. But 140+ is quite an accomplishment for the xo1 on stock motor and 6s... and if that's the case then I'd head over to Fontana and search Nic Case down at the Auto Club Speedway when they hold the fastest RC contests at. I personally do not care to have the fastest XO1 so don't think that I'm trying to turn this into a battle of who is faster. I set a goal of 130mph on mine and I'm a measly 3mph off from it to date according to GPS. After that, I'm done with trying to attain top speeds. I'm too busy with family life, tuning race cars, and racing real cars to competitively participate in trying to set RC records. One thing I've learned is that the faster you go... the more BS you have to deal with, lol. This is just something that is fun for me on the side. I honestly commend you if you are clocking 140+mph and again hats off to you for all of the experimentation that you've done. It's nice to laugh in the face of all of the idiots that said the XO1 could never do speeds over 105mph. It's safe to say that we've both managed to blow those statements out of the water. I can also say that I wish I had access to an area to run like you have. I'm clocking my speeds at under 1/4 mile whereas you have stated to use 1/2 mile for your runs.

As far as telemetry goes... here are 2 video's from datalogs that I've done (I've got tons of them saved). I'm posting a 6s and 8s recording for you to view. My telemetry results are very precise... but far from accurate. On my 6s, I can register these results over and over and over again. The 8s will read anything from 190 - 400mph consistantly with gps speeds up to 127mph.

6s XO1 - 123mph Telemetry - 105mph GPS

8s XO1 - 144mph Telemetry - 95mph Radar gun

And the telemetry readings keep getting worse the faster you go. If we're shooting for world record telemetry MPH.. then you're going to have to beat 999mph, lol. Again... Stench don't take my reply as an attack.

Thanks for the input Mr. Nye... lol. I never said that leopard motors are the best in the world... I'm simply backing up that the Kershaw set-up can do over 120mph. I've clocked 127mph once... and since then I've had issues with flipping the car at anything over 115mph prior to the new wing. I'd love to have a NEU-Castle set-up and a bunch of other goodies on a fast RC car... but I'm happy with what I have right now. I got into this hobby to have fun and it's to the point now that the fun is getting taken out of this for me with everyone turning things into a competition (online, locals, etc). I'll be focusing most of my spare time in the future on building a 1000awhp set-up for my Nissan GTR. That and hopefully on quad-copters.... quad copters look like a ton of fun. My QR1 arrives tomorrow, haha.

RC Qualifier
    Thats fine, but I never claimed to have the fastest XO-1 or to have been 140. I said I believed I had the most POWERFUL XO-1. Big difference.

RC Racer
    I for one think what you guys are doing is awesome. If Stench doesn't want to share what he is doing with his car what is it to you ?? Its his creation. Maybe he is going after a speed record.... would you share your secrets and jeopardize giving the info to somebody else and getting beat by your own creation ?? I must admit I am a bit curious of what hes got going on with his XO-1 , even though I don't even have a place to hit 100mph. This reminds me of snowmobile drag racing. If I am the one to beat do you think I'm going to build someone else the same motor as mine and give you all my notes on clutch set up etc. etc.... ??? I don't think so.

RC Racer
    Either way, thanks to you two I now probably have one of the slowest XO-1. Also I could tell all these XO-1 hater/killer to try a little harder.

RC Qualifier
    Honestly, I don't think I would believe most of the claims posted on here either, lol. I will hopefully have a chance to make some passes this weekend......with gps. One other thing I have found out the hard way. Your tires will grow significantly more when they are new. As the rubber wears off, the tire becomes lighter where it counts, and therefore doesn't grow as much. Took me a few 130mph crashes due to loss of steering to figure that out.

The Stench

RC Qualifier
    Ok. Couple of updates here. I put on some foam tires and while fixing my tire growth issues, it completely changed my set up. What I was doing before is no longer working. Because my car was so heavy, the rubber tires actually hooked very well. Now I have a terrible oversteer problem. This thing has no traction in the back whatsoever so I'm gonna have to change a couple things to get that back. Hopefully no big deal but it really put a damper on my speed runs today.

GPS. I've tried two and so far I'm not impressed. The first one was really a dinosaur and I don't think it sampled fast enough. For example, I made one pass that was just average and it showed 107. Make a faster pass and it showed 27. I ditched that one and borrowed another. It seems to be better but still has similair issues. One pass it showed 120 and then on the next pass it showed 123 but the car seemed to be significantly faster. Either way, I've lost a lot of gearing with the tire change so I have to get that back and fix my oversteer problem and I should be in good shape. The sponges are definitely more stable at speed.

RC Qualifier
    Here's video inside the ride. You can see that I didn't start anywhere as far away as I usually do and have a tough time getting up to speed due to the rear sliding around so bad. Anyhow, you get the idea. It jerked the parachute completely off the car on this pass. It's totally wore out. I have to build a new one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtg6pgIa7tE

Watch in HD.

The Stench
    Last edited by TheStenchOfSpeed; 12-09-2012 at 01:46 PM.