RC Qualifier

My latest mod. XO-1 drag pack.

RC Racer
    Thats just COOL

RC Racer
    nice man, looks cool. How's it handle?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/1millzee?feature=mhum

RC Qualifier
    Thanks. Handles fine and should be less drag. Rear down force is of course adjustable if more is needed.

RC Champion
    Sweet table! Me wants one.

RC Qualifier
    Looks great... what material did you use for the wing?
    E Revo brushless, XO-1, Nitro 4 tec 3.3, HPI RS4

RC Qualifier
    Nice!

How did you do the stripes, paint or stickers?

RC Racer
    It's Shake & Bake time

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyV View Post
    Looks great... what material did you use for the wing?
    I used a sheet of lexan I found at the LHS. Bent it in a sheet metal brake, and used traxxas tie rods to support it. Pretty easy really.

RC Qualifier
    What's in the middle? Is that a parachute?
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Champion
    tell me that parachute actually deploys and I'll be as giddy as a child all day long!!! VERY SLICK!

RC Qualifier
    Yup. Deploys perfectly every single time. Has saved me a boatload of money, lol.

RC Champion
    OHHHH YEA!!! Do you have a thread for the parachute or are you keeping that under wraps for now?

RC Racer
    man that looks awesome.

what do you do for a living? it looks like your in a race car trailer, drag race?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    OHHHH YEA!!! Do you have a thread for the parachute or are you keeping that under wraps for now?
    I think there is one on here somewhere. That's actually been on the car for a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by black67stang View Post
    man that looks awesome.

what do you do for a living? it looks like your in a race car trailer, drag race?
    I'm an engine builder that specializes in very high powered turbo/super charged engines. I also do a lot of tuning and race car dragstrip consultation. RC is just something I've gotten back in to of late. Lots of fun though.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-08-2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: post merge

RC Enthusiast
    That looks awesome man!!! love it!!

RC Racer
    I would have to say between your car and FartofDoom's car its a toss up !!! I love both of them !!! Would like to have both of them for my own !!! Very cool cars !!!

RC Qualifier
    Would you share how to make that parachute? That will save the tires from rubbing to the ground everytime you use the parachute...
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Qualifier
    I don't quite understand what you mean by "rubbing the tires" when the parachute is used? I think there is already a thread on here about the parachute. The problem with the parachute is it might be a little difficult for most to do. You would need a lathe and a tig welder. Maybe someone could come up with a simpler way to do it. I'll try and find the thread.

RC Qualifier
    Here's the old parachute thread. Pictures kinda suck but you get the general idea. The vid is unbelievably slow, lol.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ight=parachute

RC Racer
    Very nice!

RC Enthusiast
    This is genius. Thank you for explaining it. I am going to have to try it now!

RC Qualifier
    that is one awesome car man

RC Qualifier
    My 7S xl2 setup is up and running. Should have some new updates as soon as they weather clears up here.

RC Qualifier
    Never mind. Caps popped within 2 minutes of test running. Great.

RC Qualifier
    Keep us posted on what you think caused it.
    XO-1 #4...

RC Racer
    How can these companys market this stuff when it isn't fully tested yet ?? 2 minutes ?? Seriously 2 minutes !!!! I feel for you Stench. I would be pizzed !!

RC Qualifier
    Castle told me that because they use lead free solder I wouldn't be able to replace the caps........so I went to RadioShack, bought caps and replaced them. I'll try it tomorrow.

RC Qualifier
    Soldering anything to the circuit board voids the warranty on the Castle ESC's. I don't know who you spoke with at Castle, but I would recommend talking to Thomas. There is one guy there that knows absolutely nothing and will simply blame the lipo for the malfunction.

So here's the deal... pull the datalogs off of the ESC first and pay close attention to your ripple voltage. Anything over 3v is high and will lead to the caps popping. There's nothing wrong with the XL2 ESC... there's simply an issue with your current set-up. With the 7s set-up on the XL2 you are probably pulling more amps than the traxxas connectors can handle. Castle said the TRX connectors can typically handle up to around 70 amps. I'm willing to bet you're pulling at least 120 amps. I would say you need either an EC5 or Castle 6.5mm bullet connector for your lipo's if you are planning on running 7s. Another issue is that the caps at Radiao shack are not low ESR caps.

Send the ESC to castle so you don't void your warranty.

RC Qualifier
    Soldering anything to the circuit board voids the warranty on the Castle ESC's. I don't know who you spoke with at Castle, but I would recommend talking to Thomas. There is one guy there that knows absolutely nothing and will simply blame the lipo for the malfunction.

So here's the deal... pull the datalogs off of the ESC first and pay close attention to your ripple voltage. Anything over 3v is high and will lead to the caps popping. There's nothing wrong with the XL2 ESC... there's simply an issue with your current set-up. With the 7s set-up on the XL2 you are probably pulling more amps than the traxxas connectors can handle. Castle said the TRX connectors can typically handle up to around 70 amps. I'm willing to bet you're pulling at least 120 amps. I would say you need either an EC5 or Castle 6.5mm bullet connector for your lipo's if you are planning on running 7s. Another issue is that the caps at Radiao shack are not low ESR caps.

Send the ESC to castle so you don't void your warranty.
    I read in this page, the traxxas connectors can handle 100 amps but I am not sure

From the web page:
    Deans Ultra Connectors
    These are a very popular connector type (also called "T" connectors) … They are rated for up to 50 amps of continuous load.

EC3 Connectors
    EC3's are becoming very popular as they use true "bullet style" connection pins and are rated for up to 60 amps of continuous load. Most will agree bullet pins make for the best possible connection when dealing with high current applications due to a larger surface contact area.

EC5 Connectors
    These are a longer version of the EC3 and because the bullet pins are longer (5mm) they have an even greater surface area for contact. EC5's are rated for up to 120 amps of continuous load…

Traxxas Connectors
    As the name suggests, Traxxas battery connectors are used exclusively on electric Traxxas RC vehicles/boats but can be fit to any high current application up to about 100 amps. These are a nice connector that many say are one of the nicest to plug and unplug.
    And is a good idea using bullets connectors for this type of job.
    Here is the link:
    http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbullet.html

I suggest to use 8.0mm (300 amps. A bit overkill ) or 6.5mm bullets (200 amps. Like AnthonyV said ).
    Last edited by DBG; 10-03-2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: fix a link
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Qualifier
    I'm not using Traxxas connectors. I'm using 6.5mm Castle ones. What is a "low esr cap"?

RC Champion
    They are caps radio shacks don't carry. 5000 7s/8s is too wussy for those huge Kershaw pinions. I doubt any lipo config that fits under the factory clips will give you much more Horse power than traxxas's 6s 8400. You can trust C ratings but I'd also have a huge amount of amp hours sitting in reserve.

What kv motor are you guys trying to run?
    Last edited by BL-Bob; 10-03-2012 at 06:14 PM.

RC Qualifier
    So far I'm not too happy with the XL2. If it has extra demands that need to be met, then they should say so in the instructions. Comes with the same instructions as any other castle esc. One thing I've noticed.....it brakes way better. It will now lock the wheels even with the big pinion. Looks like I will now have a couple weeks of completely unnecessary down time.

RC Champion
    I would try(when you get it back) the current limiting features on the xl2, set it to match a conservative battery output until I got a few data logs. Volts/ripple/current/rpm at the fastest sample rate. (Make sure you have it setup for a four pole motor) Did the Traxxas plugs ever get hot?

RC Qualifier
    Went 111 twice back to back today. Traxxas batteries still. Car is finally sorted out pretty well. Once it's up to speed it's on rails.

RC Racer
    NICE !!! REAL NICE !!! Great Job !!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TheStenchOfSpeed View Post
    So far I'm not too happy with the XL2. If it has extra demands that need to be met, then they should say so in the instructions. Comes with the same instructions as any other castle esc. One thing I've noticed.....it brakes way better. It will now lock the wheels even with the big pinion. Looks like I will now have a couple weeks of completely unnecessary down time.
    I do agree... but what we're doing is 'custom' and not 'bolt-on/factory' in the eyes of Castle/Traxxas. My first XL2 ESC came with 'rock crawler' enabled for the brakes. My replacement one came as 'normal' at 50% for some reason. You can modify both stock XO1 ESC and XL2 ESC braking values via the Castle Link Live Option. I have not checked the current XL2 ESC as I'm still testing things out on the set-up.

Note- do not download/upload the newest Castle Link firmware to your XO1. It caused my set-up to run VERY hot (Motor and ESC).

RC Qualifier
    Wow Speed, I haven't been on here in a few months but you have realy done well with that shute mod.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene C View Post
    Wow Speed, I haven't been on here in a few months but you have realy done well with that shute mod.
    Thanks bud! I think it will be a big help as I add power and the car gets faster.

RC Qualifier
    I do agree... but what we're doing is 'custom' and not 'bolt-on/factory' in the eyes of Castle/Traxxas. My first XL2 ESC came with 'rock crawler' enabled for the brakes. My replacement one came as 'normal' at 50% for some reason. You can modify both stock XO1 ESC and XL2 ESC braking values via the Castle Link Live Option. I have not checked the current XL2 ESC as I'm still testing things out on the set-up.

Note- do not download/upload the newest Castle Link firmware to your XO1. It caused my set-up to run VERY hot (Motor and ESC).
    Yeah, I generally set the brakes at 100%, but for whatever reason the XL2 will stop way faster even on just 6S. I guess because it has more mass they can just throw more juice at the braking.