RC poster

New here, need some help on what to choose.

Im in the search of a new RC, and I think Im stuck right now between the Axial wraith and the traxxas summit.

I was hoping you guys wouldnt bias.lol So just some ideas on what to get.

I know they are 2 different scales and what not, but I think you could actually compare the 2. Im looking for something with speed, crawling abilities, able to run through thick grass, easy to work on, relatively cheap.

I really like the scale look of the wraith and the fact its bigger. If I go the summit, i would definitely be going with the big block and not the vxl. Not too in love with brushless.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I cannot give any advice on the Wraith side... but here is what I know about the Summit:

In my opinion, the 16th scale Summit is no where near a crawler... it is just not equipped.
    Now, the 10th scale Summit, however, is actually pretty good at crawling. It has remote locking differentials, 70:1 crawl ratio, large and sticky tires, and it is simply mammoth in size.

Speed belongs to the 16th scale Summit... but be prepared to change out axles, rear arms, and possibly smaller tires. The axles and arms from the 16th Revo will help stop breakage, and the tires will bring down motor/ESC temps. What you will end up with is a 16th scale Revo with a Summit body. I have my 16th scale Revo set for about 50mph... no heat issues.
    The 10th scale Summit tops out at around 25-30mph... and with the tires that come on it stock; that is all the faster you are going to want to go. Some have converted the big guy to brushless, but then they start breaking parts. Expensive parts. Parts that have little to no aftermarket upgrades. Others have modded a DeWALT drill motor to fit... you end up with nearly double the torque and about a 25% increase in speed. (which is the route I am going to go)

Thick grass? Again, the 10th scale Summit dominates. The 16th is simply too small... it will struggle and probably overheat in thick med/tall grass. If you think about it, it would be like running over medium size trees with a 1:1 truck!

I feel both of the Summits are easy to work on... but that is mostly about perspective. That and I don't mind working on them.

Hope this helps your decision...
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    ....I definitely was staying away from the 10th scale summit.lol Just too big and pricey.lol

Maybe I should stick with a stampede or a something? I think the grass here at my apt complex at most is about 2-4ins tall. Theres also a really sick rock pit about 50ft long. tons of rocks, I definitely want to be able to take advantage of that but not lose speed and other things.

Too bad the 10th scale is out of your price range... sounds like the perfect habitat for one!
    Have you thought of buying used?? I have seen a few sell in the MP here on the forum for around $300-350.

Anything else that Traxxas has is going to climb as well... about the only other Traxxas RC I can think of is maybe an eMaxx.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hey Jimmie you link is invalid!

Thread is no longer there.
    It was a Summit for sale in the MP... for $350. It was an excellent deal.

RC poster
    No big scale summit for me. The wraith would be more suited at that price. I might just bite the bullet and get a 1/16 summit. Its gonna be brushed too. :-p

RC Qualifier
    If its better crawling ability you want you can get a diff locker for front and rear or use some putty to fill the spider gears. The 1/16 platform is easy to work on, right in your lap and can. E converted to any one of their models with simple changes later down the road giving you the ability to have everyone they make. My friend has an axial in his garage and all it can do is crawl. The 1/16 Trx can be a drifter a monster truck lg trail rig a stadium race truck, need I go on. I live in an apartment area as well. I have a big block merv w summit tires and my son a summit. I also have 3.3 REVO, but that only comes out when I go somewhere with a lot of room. The size and capabilities of the 1/16 are awesome. IMO.
    BB MERV/550 Rusty/OS21REVO
    Drive it like its Hot

RC Champion
    there are a few reviews on the wraith out there - I still want one but its not remotely close to what Traxxas is offering in any of their vehicles. You will be able to find a used summit for the same price or cheaper than a new wraith (I wouldnt buy one of those used)