RC poster

Newb to the forum!!! Stampede question

Hey all, new here today. Been in the hobby world since the mid 90's. Am looking at buying the Stampede VXL 4x4 real soon. Just wondering everyones opinion though. Here's my question. I see that the current model seems to have been released in December of 2010? If that is so, when do you think the "newer" version will come out if any. Seems like its been out a long time. I know, it's just like buying a computer that becomes obsolete once you walk out the door. If anyone is knowledgeable about their new model release dates or have heard some inside news, that would be great. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

RC Competitor
    I don't think there will be a newer version any time soon. Possibly an ultimate version that has some of the Traxxas factory upgrades on it out of the box (and when they finally get around to it, Traxxas steel drive shafts). The 4x4 pede and slash are relatively new designs and will likely see minor updates over time, all of which you can typically add. Traxxas seems to try and design their vehicles with a lot of thought and then tunes the living tar out of them over years and there are always aftermarket upgrades and conversions out the wazoo. Look at how long the bandit, rustle and 2wd pede have been around, still based on that same chassis I could get 15 years ago, just with newer electronics available (like the velineon) and minor improvements out of the box like adjustable 4mm chamber links, ball bearings all around, x-ring seals in the shocks etc.

Also what are you planning on doing with it? If your going for very high powered motor / speed control setup like the SCT Combo with MMP and 2400kV motor on 3S or 4S, your going to want to upgrade some key components, mostly in the drive train. If your sticking with a brushed motor or Velineon on 2S (btw I would recommend staying 2S with the velienon, it can do 3S but you have to be very careful with motor temps as that's pushing its limits, its a good motor / controller, just not designed for a 4x4 on 3S) then most of the stock drive train is more than adequate.

An cheap but very effective upgrade I would recommend no matter what you do is get Titaium Nitride shock shafts and aluminum caps for the stock ultra shocks and run 40 to 50 wt oil. The shafts and caps will run about $35 for all four shocks to be done. The stock caps tend to pop off when cartwheeling and the stock shafts get bent easily if you hit something while rolling or with large debris despite the shock guards, also the nitride shafts give a noticeably smoother stroke and are hardened steel. Get the caps / shafts and your stock ultra shocks will be as durable and good as any aftermarket shock unless you go to 1/8 scale sized units, but for far less.

Traxxas is typically very tight lipped about new releases or updates and we dont usually hear about them until they are released.

I dont think RC's are like computers and are out dated within months of their release. Especially Traxxas models. As an example you can take the origianl Rustler and easily update it to the current day model. In the case of the Stampede 4x4 it original release was really good right out of the box and I dont see Traxxas updating it any time soon, they already have started shipping it with the updated TQi radio system.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC poster
    if you want to run out of the box, buy new retail, then upgrade as something breaks. If you want upgrades from the start, buy a roller then the parts you want. This way you dont have to worry about a new version since you bought the motor/esc/tires/transmitter you wanted.

RC poster
    thanks guys. This helps a lot. I knew Traxxas was good out of the box. I have an old nitro 4 tec Im getting ready for ebay soon. Was a good car...is a good car. I'm really only buying this for he pleasure of driving a vehicle that doesnt break a lot, is fast and all around fun. I dont plan on bashing it to the ground, just fun driving in front of the house and some dirt areas around the neighborhood. This is something my 4 year old can drive in a field too and not break, added bonus! I will look into those mods you talked abuot. Have already been scoping out A-arms from RPM. I dig the green ones. I dont intend on going to a castle set up or anything like that. Want lipo though. I run that in my heli (trex 450)....also will be for sale soon. Is there a good motor that will keep cool you can run a 3s with. And is the esc it comes wtih adequate? Sorry, I will be picking brains for a while here. Am pretty excited about this upcoming purchase

It's important to find out what fast means to you. A stock Pede is a pretty fast machine, but of course there are enough people around who want more.
    Making the Pede faster can be done in several ways and to several levels. And not to forget in different price levels too.
    I would try it with the stock set first before you make the step to upgrade. Maybe you want just a little faster or maybe you want tons more power. You need to get the feeling of the stock set to be able to judge that.

Another thing with upgrading it right out of the box is that you don't enjoy the results of the upgrade because you are not aware of the difference.
    I started with a Bandit XL-5 which I upgraded in a few steps to what it is now. That has cost a lot more than finding out which combo suits best before. On the other hand is was fun to experience every step I made.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC poster
    I talk now about not "thrashing" it but I get the feeling that may change a bit once I get it. I've never been able to keep any RC I have remotely stock. It's just too fun to mod! I want to switch to lipo because of the run time and power you get out of them. I know the heli I have makes the tail twitch when the voltage goes down a certain limit. How do you know when it's time to shut the truck down so you dont kill the lipo. Peterje60, I see what you mean about leaving it stock first. I'll have to let my checking account recoup anyways after I get it. Should give me time to figure out what I need/want.

The ESC in the Pede has Low Voltage Detection/Cutoff often reffered to as LVD or LVC. The Pede has a two stage LVC. First it will switch back to 50% power when the voltage gets low. The second stage it will just switch off.
    To extend the life of your batteries, it is most wise to stop at or even just before the first stage LVC is reached. You will notice when your truck slows down after a while.
    Nobody is born with experience.