RC Qualifier

Wobbly trenchers :(

If I do any sort of quick run on tarmac the wheels and ride look awful. It's as though the wheels are egg shaped. They are very new and to be honest I don't think they are. I think the issue is that after getting wet they must stay so for a very long time.

Initially if I lifted the vehicle in the air the wheels would stay put. Since getting wet when I pick it up they always rotate so the heavy area slumps to the bottom.

I got as much water out as possible. Only other thing I think of is sit them on a radiator.

RC Qualifier
    I experience the same thing so I took a small ice pick and poked 3 holes in the center of the tires.This is the only solution I could come up with.Hold the truck up and hammer the throttle the water will sling out
    ERBE,Losi 8ight,Slash 4X4

RC Qualifier
    Thanks. I did squeeze the tyres and a lots of water did come out but am sure there is still a lot of damp foam. I have not checked but I guess there are holes in the rims to let air out. I may get them dry and plug these holes.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    +1 to Brewers74!!

Another good thing is to balance your wheels to. Not sure how they react when dry to. A little modeling clay and a couple minutes of your time and you have a smooth running set.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Are these holes in the tyres or the rims? And how do you balance the wheels?

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Some rims come with holes on the inside. But what Brewer was talking about is poking holes in tread area of the tire so that you WOT the truck the water will fly out.

To balance tires is fairly easy. You can't do it with 4wd trucks because of the shafts. But with 2wd you can spin them on the front stub axles. You will have to pick up a wheel balancer. Dynamite makes a great one for 1/10 scale wheels ( see below ). There are others, but this is the one i've used and like.

What you need:
    wheel balancer or something to mount the tire to and spin it
    modeling clay ( any hobby or big box store )
    tire to balance of course, LOL

You mount the tire to the balancer and spin it, if it teeter totters back and forth before it stops put put a small amount of modeling clay to the opposite side, typically the top on the inside of the rim. Then spin again until it flow freely. This can take a few times. But this really makes a difference in the end.

DYN2620

DYN2622
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    That's great. Thanks guys.

RC Qualifier
    Well...I have squeezed as much water out of them as possible. Couldn't believe how much considering it was quite a while since they got drenched.

I have now sealed all the air holes with glue. They feel like proper tyres now. Hehe...see how they do. :-)

RC Racer
    Do your tires feel more like tires with air in them or foam in them
    sl2sh, p4de trail truck

RC Qualifier
    Yeah they do feel more real. We'll see if the glue holds out when jumping. Luckily I don't do really big jumps....may blow out a side wall!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
    If I do any sort of quick run on tarmac the wheels and ride look awful. It's as though the wheels are egg shaped. They are very new and to be honest I don't think they are. I think the issue is that after getting wet they must stay so for a very long time.

Initially if I lifted the vehicle in the air the wheels would stay put. Since getting wet when I pick it up they always rotate so the heavy area slumps to the bottom.

I got as much water out as possible. Only other thing I think of is sit them on a radiator.
    If you've ruled out water, tire imbalance, and bad bearings, you may find that your wheels are cracked and/or out of round like my Desperados with Trenchers. I have a similar problem but to a lesser degree with the Traxxas rims w/Talons which are lighter. I've got a set of RPM Revolvers on order. They look a little stouter and won't be as heavy as going to aluminum.

RC Qualifier
    Well I took it for a spin. With some refurbed big bores on too. I had 25wt oil in the front and unknown thicker oil in the rear. It handles like a dream. :-)