RC Racer

I can't decide on motor, please help

Ok, so I'm stuck on what motor to replace my stock vxl system. First let me tell you what I wanna do with it and some of the mods I have. first I will do both on and off road, more off road though but i still want massive onroad speed too if I can. Take into consideration I will be running a rollcage with no body, maybe a overtray as well, so it cant run too hot, it will be heavier then most pedes too. I will have teknos m6 kit for the rears and fronts are coming soon. I would like to run 3s mostly but might get a 4s eventually. I have looked at castle sct 2400, tenshock 411, and was browsing through leopard motors. I was leaning tword tenshock as I hear they are great and are cheaper than castle by around 80 bucks, I am scared to buy because I dont know what the support will be like. Not to many stores I have seen sell it. So please help, what would best fit me and my driving style with some aded weight from a rollcage.

Dude get the 3500kv tenshock sc411 or 401 and run 2s and 3s or run sct 2400kv and run 3s and 4s.my tenshock is run 2s 5300mah 50-100c at the mo on a 17t pinion and it runs faster that my vxl on 3s
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Dude get the 3500kv tenshock sc411 or 401 and run 2s and 3s or run sct 2400kv and run 3s and 4s.my tenshock is run 2s 5300mah 50-100c at the mo on a 17t pinion and it runs faster that my vxl on 3s
    what esc are you using with the tenshock?

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I dig the CC MMP 2400kv SCT setup. It has a ton of power and runs really cool. I've also heard many good stories on the Tenshock setup.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

i run the mamba max pro and the castle 2200 now. runs very cool, it has crazy power. however, cvds from mip or tekno or flm were necessary.
    Associated rc8TE, rc8.2E, B4.2, Ofna LX2E, Slash

RC Racer
    yeah I figure the teknos would be necessary. I think I am stuck between the tenshock 411 4000kv and the castle 2400kv, which one would be faster on 3s? I take it the castle would run cooler too? I need it to run cool, since I will have a overtray.

Quote Originally Posted by mattstang2007 View Post
    yeah I figure the teknos would be necessary. I think I am stuck between the tenshock 411 4000kv and the castle 2400kv, which one would be faster on 3s? I take it the castle would run cooler too? I need it to run cool, since I will have a overtray.
    it's kind of a toss up. on one hand, the 4000kv is almost double the rpms, but the 2400 has more torque and is a bigger motor so you'll be able to gear it much higher. if you need it to run on the cooler side, i'd get the 2400 and watch your gearing. even with a lower kv motor, those over trays keep all airflow out. it might run hot no matter what.
    Associated rc8TE, rc8.2E, B4.2, Ofna LX2E, Slash

RC Racer
    I figure I would also cut holes in the tray or put in a fan like someone did on here, sorry cant remember the name. I might try the fan backwards though, like blow the hot air out. Plus a few holes, idk yet. Ok so it seems the cc sct 2400 kv is the way to go then.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mattstang2007 View Post
    I figure I would also cut holes in the tray or put in a fan like someone did on here, sorry cant remember the name. I might try the fan backwards though, like blow the hot air out. Plus a few holes, idk yet. Ok so it seems the cc sct 2400 kv is the way to go then.
    i did the fan, hopefully tonight will make a thread with pics on how i did it. I blew the air in, with a giant hole in the back of the tray similar to the way it fits in a slash. I could blow air out, but in is working. Soon as i get my telementry sensors for the tqi i will test temps with fan blowing in and out. But will not buy the temp sensor till the gps module is released.

Go with the 3500kv it runs warm on 3s with a 3s 5000mah 50c and 17t pinion and 54t spur the 4000kv will hotter but for the money you will not get a better motortrust me i am one happy basher since i got my new set up...peace

Quote Originally Posted by jdl1234 View Post
    what esc are you using with the tenshock?
    I am using a hobbywing sct pro 120a esc that can run up to 4s

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    I am using a hobbywing sct pro 120a esc that can run up to 4s
    Is that water proof and can it do sensored motors
    sl2sh, p4de trail truck

No because i never run in the wet. but the water proof one is sc8 wp and they both do sensored and unsensored