Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Champion

T-Maxx Brushless Conversion

I bought this T-Maxx from a friend off of another forum who bought it from someone else. It has aluminum bulkheads, skids, bumpers, steel cvd's and integy piggy back shocks that I will be transferring over. I bought a rolling chassis embe for my flm build so I will be taking the chassis, diffs, arms, and 17mm adapters from that. I will rit dye the chassis black probably tonight. I have taken a mamba monster 2200 system off my slash to use with this build. I had problems with the speed control but I just received the replacement from castle today in the mail. I already have traxxas center steel cvd's along with ue knucklehead shock towers, rpm skid protectors and revo rear end links that will go towards this build
    From ebay I ordered a red/black embe body, robinson racing 7960 spur gear, stock links/carrier knuckles/servo saver/rx box/transmission/motor mount plate and 2 spc 5400 50c 2s batteries.
    I really enjoy building the vehicle more than driving it but I have fun with that too. I will probably upgrade to an rpm true track later and upgrade anything that breaks as I go along. I'm going to need help identifying the aluminum parts that the truck came with and the cvd's.

Last edited by SLW-SVT; 09-04-2012 at 10:51 PM.
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E G-Slayer

RC Champion
    I got some work done on the emaxx today. Does anybody recognize what cvd's and bulkhead's these are? I cleaned up the integy shocks and put 60 weight oil all around. I'm not a fan of these but they look good. The cvd cups did not fit in the 3908 differentials but i was able to trim them to fit. I won't be able to use the 3908 carriers with these axles so I will be keeping the older style carriers for now. The front is done except for the steering. I'm going to use two of the 2018 servo's from the tmaxx for now. I have a couple of hitec 5625 metal gear servo's but I need to order new gear sets for them.

RC Racer
    cvd's look like rd logics

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    looking good
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Champion
    thanks, well the rd logics didn't work out. I wanted to use the 3908 carriers but the cvd's are too short. I went to the lhs which is an hour away to get the traxxas cvd's and I picked up a couple of hitec metal gear servo's. I tried the stock servo arms but they stripped out pretty easily. I have some aluminum arms but they put the end links to close together so I need to figure something out to use both servo's. I got the truck finished for now. I need to order the tbone wheelie bar because I've landed on the top a few times already. The masher looking tires aren't going to work out. the make the truck pull to one side or the other when going high speed. I have some trencher x's on 1/2 offset desperado's.

man i'm liking the speed monster E-MAXX with LCG chassis

RC Champion
    It's a lot of fun! I think this truck is heading in the same direction but with a regular flm chassis. I picked up some more phaltlines. I like them a lot on the street since they slide instead of tipping the truck over when I turn. Here's a vid that my wife took. 4s is enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    I found a Supermaxx ext set of arm, knuckles and pillow balls on eBay and bought them for this build. Hopefully the rd logic cvds I have will work. Does anybody know that they will?

RC Champion
    I'm having trouble getting both Hitec servo's to line up straight. I'm using dynamite aluminum servo horns. when one side is centered I can get the horn parallel to the chassis but the other side will be at a slight angle. I've tried zeroing out both servo's separately while the other was unplugged but I can't get them parallel with each other. How do I get them parallel?

RC Qualifier
    Where did you get your street tire/wheel setup???
    -EMB (GPS 51.6mph)
    -Spartan (GPS 48.2mph)

RC Champion
    I got them at two different lhs's. I highly reccomend them!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hpi-4731-Mou...item5ae808a8cd

yep same here, except i bought mine separate, i'm just waiting for my phaltline tires then i'm going to gorilla tape the inside.

RC Champion
    they don't balloon much. the trencher x's do. I'm going to try the fishing line method on them.

trencher X have taller side wall so taping or like you said fishing line will do the trick.

RC Champion
    My wife told me the EXT suspension is at the house! I ordered a set of UE supershocks for this truck as well. I will probably go to two sets eventually but we'll see. I plan on ordering the FLM chassis before I get home from work (two weeks left) too.

RC Champion
    I found another set of Supershocks on eBay and a set of MIP cvds that work with the ext suspension. This is going to be a slow build

RC Champion
    And I found these UE titanium turnbuckles on eBay as well

RC Qualifier
    the axels are dynamite and the bulks look like first gen integy i have a set of the bulk on my 3906 vxl truck .both are nice emaxx's did you use the nitro trans in the sceond one ,and nice lowered ford is it bagged

RC Champion
    thanks, I ordered a 3908 tranny for this build and the the truck is bagged

RC Champion
    a little update. I have decided that I will be keeping the stock chassis on this truck for now. I put the monoblock chassis extension on it and I'm thinking of adding another one for even more wheelbase. I think that this will look good with the 1/2 offset trencher x's. The big problem will be finding a body to fit...

I haven't built the supershocks yet..

I started working on shining up the arms. You can see the one that is different. I really don't know what to do next with them. I either want them to be shiny or brushed looking. Any tips??

I need a wing mount for knucklehead towers..

RC Enthusiast
    Can you tell me what tranmission that is? I am in the middle of getting my parts to convert my 1st gen tmaxx, which is already an 1/8th scale conversion, over to brushless. I am wondering if I should buy just a motor mount to mount the brushless motor or go with the 3908 chassis swap.

I have the original tmaxx transmission and a 3.3 transmission, are you able to use those? Will reverse work if the ESC will provide it or will you need to keep a servo to pull the reverse pin?

Thanks
    Big Block T-Maxx
    RC10GT
    Savage XL
    Spartan

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    I'm having trouble getting both Hitec servo's to line up straight. I'm using dynamite aluminum servo horns. when one side is centered I can get the horn parallel to the chassis but the other side will be at a slight angle. I've tried zeroing out both servo's separately while the other was unplugged but I can't get them parallel with each other. How do I get them parallel?
    This might be a little late for you but I have the same servo setup and problem. I went with SWB Double-Loc Servo Arms.

Nice one mate...
    Rock n Rolla !

RC poster
    any updates?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Boosted2000si View Post
    Can you tell me what tranmission that is? I am in the middle of getting my parts to convert my 1st gen tmaxx, which is already an 1/8th scale conversion, over to brushless. I am wondering if I should buy just a motor mount to mount the brushless motor or go with the 3908 chassis swap.

I have the original tmaxx transmission and a 3.3 transmission, are you able to use those? Will reverse work if the ESC will provide it or will you need to keep a servo to pull the reverse pin?

Thanks
    Mine is a 3908 Tranny. You would have to look up the parts diagram.

Quote Originally Posted by GaiginRC View Post
    This might be a little late for you but I have the same servo setup and problem. I went with SWB Double-Loc Servo Arms.

Thanks, I will order a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by MITCH316 View Post
    Nice one mate...
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by silvertrd View Post
    any updates?
    I scored another monoblock so they will be doubled up for even more wheelbase and I was able to get one of these:http://www.unlimitedengineering.com/...7&postcount=74
    Also, this one will be inheriting the lcg FLM chassis soon. I For now it sits on the shelf waiting
    This body was cut short so I'm thinking that If I get another, it will work out with the double monoblock.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Boosted2000si View Post

Thanks
    Bare minimum seems to be the transmission, upgraded driveshafts and Differentials. I am on the same boat as you.

Also in brushless setups you only need one servo for steering, the reverse, brake and throttle is all done with the ESC.

RC Champion
    sweetstrobe braces. mbx6t wing stay mount. 2nd monoblock. mbx6t wing

RC Qualifier
    wow thats long now, I thought you would of added an extension to the front to balance it out.

RC Champion
    Love the body and wing on that thing slw-svt. Looks awesome! I picked up one of those extensions too along with a bunch of other high end maxx parts ive been collecting to build my basher rig into a supermaxx. Probably going to put the extension on my roadmaxx. Your maxx is definetly one of a kind, I love it!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx_Adam View Post
    wow thats long now, I thought you would of added an extension to the front to balance it out.
    It won't work on the front. I kind of like it all in the rear so the motor stay up forward

Quote Originally Posted by EMAXXBRUSHLESS View Post
    Love the body and wing on that thing slw-svt. Looks awesome! I picked up one of those extensions too along with a bunch of other high end maxx parts ive been collecting to build my basher rig into a supermaxx. Probably going to put the extension on my roadmaxx. Your maxx is definetly one of a kind, I love it!
    Thanks! I've been searching everyday for rare highend Maxx parts!

I've been working on polishing the EXT suspension. It is a pain but it's rewarding. I just ordered some Great Assembly RC 7075 bulkheads!

RC Champion
    Those bulks are sweet. Got my eye on them too but there not cheap. Probably keep the ancnc ones I already have and modded the front one to work with my shock absorbing bumper set up. With the hindge pin braces and rpm arms they should hold up fine. Im thinking of getting some ue ultralite cases for my ofna spyder diffs but not shore how the cases will fit the ancnc bulks?? But those 7075 are the best out there imo.

RC Champion
    That's some info you may find on the UE forums. I haven't even thought about getting ultra light cases. I wonder if vorza/d8/d8t diffs fit in them? It seems like everyone at UE that doesn't run the bulkless setup run GARC bulkheads.

I need to find some skid plates for this build but I'm not sure where to get them or what to get.

RC Champion
    I got some titanium skids on e-bay from here for my basher. 2mm thick titanium. There nice parts. (c.p.m.)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/300900597715...84.m1439.l2649
    Don't know if you can still get them but I believe there still in business so they should be available somewhere.
    You can still get the GA 3mm ti rear skid, but not much flex in those, maybe too strong imo. Found a new rear 2mm hcr ti skid on e-bay. just had to remove the green color. Found the matching front (used but not bad) a little sanding and it looks pretty good, and got it for 99 cents and 3.00 sh. What a deal! You can always get the integy ti skids. I have them on my roadmaxx. There actually nice strong skids if you can get past the name integy. LOL A couple ideas for ya, hope it helps.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 06-25-2013 at 06:17 AM.

RC Champion
    thanks! I have these steel ones on my other emaxx with tbone bumpers underneath.

Well I finally finished the knuckles of the ext suspension. I probably spent 10 hours on just those. I used 1500, 2000, 2500 and 5000 grit sand paper (wet) then used mothers polish and a felt tip on the dremel. they are not perfect by any means but they are a lot better than when I got them. I just need to finish three more top arms and they'll be ready to go. I received all new bearings for them and new rpm pillow ball holders. The GA bulks should be in any time now and new knucklehead towers came in the mail. The ones that were on this truck were bought used on ebay and were slightly bent.

RC Champion
    Looks sweet! Don't spend too much time polishing it, you wont want to use it and scratch it up. lol But im with ya, Spent some time myself polishing bumpers and beadlock rings. I admire your work! Its going to be one nice rig with that new chassis!

RC Champion
    you're right..I'm already leaning towards not wanting to mess anything up..

these bulkheads are beefy!

RC Champion
    Nice! You got me going, Now I want to build another truck with all alum chassis and suspension and all the strongest lightest parts I can find. Cant decide on either the UE wide trac kit or (4)Hi impact lowers and (4) racerx uppers. any thoughts? The wide trac looks good with the towers and tie rods inc. What are you going to use for diff cases? Do you know what the difference between the wide trac upper arms and the racerx upper arms is?? I see a little different design. Are they both 7075 alum?
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 06-30-2013 at 08:05 AM.

RC Champion
    IIRC, all UE arms are made from 7075.

The racer x uppers are shorter like my EXT suspension to allow for the different knuckle design. I would do the widetrac (I did buy the widetrac for my other build) since it works with most of the knuckles out there including the Tekno ones. UE might be re releasing the full racer x soon which I will be interested in.

I'm thinking about getting these: http://www.unlimitedengineering.com/...ore/13549.html So that I can use my stock diffs until they break and then upgrade to vorza/d8/d8t later on. The reason for those is that my flm truck has those and my d8t does too and I'll be able to have couple of spares that will work on three trucks.

RC Champion
    Thanks slw, I just read about 15 pages of posts on the ue forum about suspension. Got a pretty good understanding of it all now. Since the racerx and the ext both use the offset knuckles that seem to be hard to find all of them and pricey. I think im going to go with the widetrac gen 2 pro set. Best bang for the buck with towers and rods inc. And still nice 7075 stuff. And probably some STRC alum knuckles modded for bigger bearings and the steel traxxas pillow ball rings like the ones on my roadmaxx to fit the losi xxl axles. This will be my third and LAST maxx build. lol Going all out on this one and build my ultimate basher. Probably take a while but its exciting.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 06-30-2013 at 12:38 PM.

RC Champion
    Awesome! I look forward to the build. What chassis are you going to use?

I just placed an order for those ultra lite diff cases! I think I have everything I need for this build except electronics. I will finish this build and eventually throw together all the stock/left over parts for a truck that I can bash hard without worrying about anything