Unhappy Are You Kidding Me?

Ok, ok, I'll try to calm down, but here it goes. I've had problems with my Slayer in the past with the throttle sticking, and a weird lean problem. I've always been able t get it running and fixed, and every thing has been fine for the last 15-20 tanks. About 2 runs ago I noticed nitro leaking from the carb when I primed it. It was running fine, so I didn't think much of it. Well, on my last run I ruined the clutch spring and ez start wires. So I replaced them this weekend. I got it out after school today to start it up and run it. But it wouldn't start. The ez start motor was turning over, but it wasn't starting. I took out the glow plug and it was fine, but I put a new one in anyway just to make sure. It still wouldn't start. When I was priming it, there was alot of nitro leaking out of the carb. So I took out the carb and there was a crack in the carb just under the hsn AGAIN!!!! I got out my old carb, and I switched everything over. I even replaced all of the fuel line too. But this time on the good carb, there is nitro leaking out between the fuel inlet and hsn gaskets. I ignored it, and it still would not start. I checked all of the ground wires, and every thing was making contact with metal, so that wasn't the problem... I returned the carb to factory specs, hsn 4 turns from bottom, and the lsn is now flush with the carb slide. It SILL wasn't starting. I checked the glow plug again, and it wasn't working. I then checked the old glow plug, and it wasn't working either. So now I have a bad glow plug wire AGAIN, and now I need to go out and buy a 4th STUPID CARB BODY!!! I LOVE nitro, but I'm SO stumped... Please help me fix this, I'm desperate! The fuel is the same fuel I've been using since I got my Slayer. I even tried opening my new gallon of nitro, and it did nothing. Could somthing be wrong inside of the engine, like a broken piston skirt? PLEASE HELP!!!
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 09-04-2012 at 07:52 PM.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC poster
    Are you driving with the body off? Or are you tightening the high speed needle to much. The factory roll bar should be enough to protect carb.

RC Champion
    It could be your Ez start. My wand wasent igniting the glow plug once. Even though the light was lit up it wasent working. Maybe think about switching to a pullstart

Four carb bodies is very rare. I have yet to break one. Even with a broken skirt the engine may run--mine did, albeit for a short time.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    If your blue wire is shorted some where, the light will come on because it is sensing a load on that circuite.

Thanks for the help guys. I still don't know what it is, but who knows what I can find when I spend 4 hours fixing it... =] Any other help in welcome!

Well, I just tried starting it with my old wires, it didn't work either... I think my ez start wand is bad... I'll have to wait to tomorrow to see if a glow plug ignighter will work...

I emailed Traxxas to see what they have to say on the matter... Maybe I'll get a new carb body?

Well, Traxxas won't send me a carb body. Anyway, I'm so confused... It's getting fuel, and air, but no glow plug. The ez start motor is turing over, and the led on the wand is on when I try to start it, so I thought the glow plug was bad. But when I use my dad's glow plug tester, it works perfectly. Both glow plugs work, but either one won't glow when I plug it in to my ez start glow plug wire. I've tried everything... I recharged the battery, I checked all of the connections, even the ground. Is the ez start wand bad? That's the only thing I can think of... Please help me.

I've probably mentioned it before, get a multi-meter and test it. It should have 1.5v.
    The Super Derecho

I have one, and by testing it you mean testing to see if the glow plug wire is getting voltage?

RC Qualifier
    sounds like its time to go electric

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Honestly, I'd rather die then go back to that soul-less power source they call electric...

RC Qualifier
    I feel the same.... but opposite of course lol. Does traxxas offer some kind of trade in program for their engines to get a new one. If your experiencing cracks, unfixable leaks, lean and trouble starting, id say get a new engine. Be done with the headaches
    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Well, Traxxas won't send me a carb body. Anyway, I'm so confused... It's getting fuel, and air, but no glow plug. The ez start motor is turing over, and the led on the wand is on when I try to start it, so I thought the glow plug was bad. But when I use my dad's glow plug tester, it works perfectly. Both glow plugs work, but either one won't glow when I plug it in to my ez start glow plug wire. I've tried everything... I recharged the battery, I checked all of the connections, even the ground. Is the ez start wand bad? That's the only thing I can think of... Please help me.
    I had the exact same problem, bad wand. Get a pullstart and glow igniter. You won't regret it

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Honestly, I'd rather die then go back to that soul-less power source they call electric...
    Matthew 7:7

YEEESSSSS!!! I found the problem, my wand was bad. Go figure. I tried using one of my friend's glow igniters and guess what? It started right up and idled PERFECTLY. But, I still has a small hole under my hsn. When I'm priming the engine you can see, and hear the nitro bubbling out of the hole. I have no idea how it got cracked... I bought a complete carb, and all I did was put it on my Slayer and tune it. I've never taken it off since, and I've never crashed. My worst crash I've ever had was a roll over at about 20 mph. I try to seal the hole using epoxy, but in the end I'll just have to buy another carb body. It does run a little leaner now though... I guessing a metalic burning smell from the engine is a bad thing? I 99% sure that means it's lean, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks for all of the help guys!

Sometimes you can get a fully assembled carb from the factory that has the HSN housing tightened too much. That's what happened on mine. The threads eventually pulled out of the carb just from the vibration and it would pee fuel out all over the place. I ordered a carb body and assembled it myself and never had any problems after that. It just tightens into plastic, snug it tight enough.