Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    There are home kits available
    Just don't use your home oven
    Or someone may not be very happy with you...lol

Sent using lipo power
    Correct on not using the kitchen oven, LOL don't ask. What I used to use and most of the guys I know for fishing jigs used a toaster type oven.

RC Qualifier

I powder coat stuff with these. You can use a regular oven, but after you do, the oven can never be used for food again.

The powder is relatively safe and very environmentally friendly (all you need is a respirator when applying) but when it is heated and baked in a cure cycle it releases a small amount of toxins that are absorbed into the interior walls of the oven. These toxins can never be removed. So DO NOT use your wife's, mom's, or any sort of domestic partner's oven!!

Anywho I powder coat stuff as a side/ hobby businsess and trade off with my buddy who has the machine shop. I powder coat stuff for him and he let's me use his shop.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by happymachinist View Post
    Anywho I powder coat stuff as a side/ hobby businsess and trade off with my buddy who has the machine shop. I powder coat stuff for him and he let's me use his shop.
    Open exchange of professional services rendered !! That's what I'm talking about
    Last edited by Mayberry Kid; 09-17-2012 at 08:15 PM.
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Qualifier
    Liking the clean build.
    Love seeing clean install
    Keep up the good work

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry Kid View Post
    Open exchange of professional services rendered !! That's what I'm talking about
    You bet!! It makes things take a little longer but try are also cheaper.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddykins View Post
    Liking the clean build.
    Love seeing clean install
    Keep up the good work
    Thanks I appriciate all the compliments even if I don't get around to posting it.

I'm to busy reading everyone else's builds so I can steal their ideas, pick up helpful pointers or help out what little I can to say thanks as often as I should.

RC Qualifier
    Not much to report here. Got my dbl oranges coated black while I patiently await the arrival of my punk steering controller. Doesn't do anything performance wise just helps differentiate mine from everyone else's. To all the other Summit builders and tweakers keep up the good work!

RC Champion
    I like the way they came out, I really like the look of the red ones but now that I'm used to them they are so... "stock" looking haha, black always looks better!

pretty nice, springs are black, rockers are black, chassis is . . . . .

gotta josh you a lil bit
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

There should be laws against having a Summit that is clean... I don't see a spec of dirt anywhere!

lol
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    pretty nice, springs are black, rockers are black, chassis is . . . . .

gotta josh you a lil bit
    I was wondering if I'd catch some grief over that. I do plan on dyeing it black as well providing my old stainless utility pot is tall enough. (I dont know why traxxas insists on that ugly grey...better than pink I guess) I want to re-dye my rockers too, at certain angles they have a blue tint to them. (my first attempt) I richened up my mixture and did my revo rockers and they are much "blacker"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    There should be laws against having a Summit that is clean... I don't see a spec of dirt anywhere!

lol
    Yeah I am somewhat of a clean freak. Borderline OCD. It doesn't help that I can't find the time to take the thing out to play.

...I do plan on dyeing it black as well providing my old stainless utility pot is tall enough. You can try a turkey roaster from the dollar store. They work very well, require little excess water and dye, and are inexpensive. (I dont know why traxxas insists on that ugly grey...)
    Because back in the day everybody thought the black plastic was boring. Fashion is a fickle thing.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    truely amazing work

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Because back in the day everybody thought the black plastic was boring. Fashion is a fickle thing.
    I suppose you're right. At least it's better than the white/cream brittle plastic the old old traxxas's were made of.

Good thinkin on the turkey roaster. Should use a lot less dye.

RC Qualifier
    Headed south with the Summits for a little crawling...well there wasn't as much to climb as I thought but a good day none the less. (Nothing broke)

It was my first real test of the 4WS WITH reverse. Everything worked pretty well. The CCBECs performed well also, crammed in the little enclosure without having air passing over them.

I kinda forgot to keep an eye on them because we were having such a good time. About 45 mins to an hour in I actually remembered to check them and they were just warm to the touch...110 deg F maybe... not warm enough to worry about anyway. Ambient temp was 75-ish so on a 100 deg day I may want to check things out a little more.

All this being said I'm probably running them at less than 50% of their constant amp rating. So they shouldn't get overly warm anyway...but a guy likes to know for sure...it's all part of the R&D.

Anyway...pictures!!

Not as breathtaking as you mountainous folks but fun nonetheless.

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Not as breathtaking as you mountainous folks but fun nonetheless.
    Just goes to show, while mountains are nice, there are plenty of beautiful places to enjoy your Summit(s)
    Especially for those of us 50+ folks who don't always have it in us for the climb

Great pics, looks like you had a great time!
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Qualifier
    Mountains, high plains, or desert the summit would be at home in any of them. The enjoyment you get out of your rig is what matters, if that is where you enjoy your summit then that spot is just as wonderful as the forest to others. Not that bad of a looking place either, shale which is not easy to climb and water what else can a person ask for. Trees are nice for shade but our trucks can not climb trees.

RC Champion
    Why does your summit sit so low? That's how the e-revo sits. Mine is stock but sits much higher.
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

Trees are nice for shade but our trucks can not climb trees.

Are you sure about that? Lol I'm working on some video

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Mainly because I'm toting around a lot more weight than stock. The big heat sink on the Titan, the fan, larger rx box, my rear steer, the futaba servos are an ounce a piece heavier than the 2075s also. Then you add t-bone skid plates and the fact that I'm still running nimh batteries that are heavier than lipos.

My summit is starting to get kinda chunky. I have dbl orange springs all the way around with a little preload, but I could go more. I'm in the middle pushrod hole that the LT rockers are designed for but have thought about moving to the inner hole to raise it up a bit.

I also think I need to give it a good cleaning and lube job, pivot pins, pivot balls, hollow balls yada yada yada because when u pick it up and set it back down gently, it sits higher it just doesn't regain it's stance after the suspension has been compressed.

With all that being said I'm trying to find a happy medium of keeping CG low while not chassis dragging too much over obstacles.

Very nice pics indeed mate...looks like you had loads of fun .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Glad you guys liked the pics, they were a little grainy, lense must have been dirty. That's actually a riverbed there should have been a few feet of water in most of those pictures...but we are in quite a little drought. Fun times, though.

RC Qualifier
    I would like to start this post with a HUGE thank you to Al from HeyOK Performance.

I ordered a 4WS controller from him on Tuesday Nov 6th. Was out of town this weekend, and for kicks checked the mail when I got home late last night and wouldn't you know it it was in the box...wich means it got delivered Sat the 10th. HOLY CRAP! Great customer service and help even before the sale and speedy shipping from Canada to the states.

Here's what she looks like for those of you who don't know.

Through research (several months back) I had found what other owners had done to make their 4WS controllers work with a standard summit rx. Long story short I couldn't get it to work the way I wanted. My final plan will entail more channels for individual control of the t-locks, transmission, a winch and maybe the lights...ect ect.

Buuuuuut for the time being here is what I have done:

Channel 1--HeyOK per instructions.
    Channel 2--ESC
    Channel 3--HeyOK per instructions
    Channel 4--hi/low shift servo (reversed)
    Channel 5--Y connector into both T-Lock servos.

What this gives me:
    Channel 3--(hi/low thumb switch) toggles between front steering only and 4WS (opposing) I could achieve crab by modifying the switch to a 3 position switch as discussed elsewhere on the forum I just haven't done it yet. (With a steady thumb I can hold the switch between the detents and crab steering does work.)

Channels 4&5 (T-lock toggle)
    Toggle all the way up--high gear
    Toggle middle pos.--low gear
    Toggle all the way down--low gear both diffs locked.

To get this to work I did have to reverse channel 4 wich in my case is now the transmission hi/low channel.

It's not perfect, but with the configuration I have available it will work for now.

Here it all is crammed in my enclosure. IT IS TOIGHT!

I had originally bought a 4WS controller from another "company" but that fell through. A friend of mine stumbled onto HeyOK and knowing my troubles forwarded the information on to me. I wish I would have found them first but live and learn. I HIGHLY recomend you give HeyOK a look, Al is very knowledgeable and easy to talk to. Customer service is top notch.

Now I just need to get out and give it a whirl.

I want to add that with the truck elevated and all four wheels off the ground when in front steering only the rear servo doesn't hum or buzz at all untill pressure is applied to the rear wheels and the servo has to work to keep the rear wheels centered.

Sorry to get long winded....again

RC Racer
    I concur with that. Al at heyok was amazingly helpful and fast on the shipping. The part works great but I am about to start a big project on my truck so I haven't taken it out yet, but back to the main topic here. I had the same issues with the same company. This part is really worth taking a look at.

Sent using my BRAIN!!
    IfYouCan'tRunWithTheBigDogs,StayOnThePorch

RC Champion
    Post office was closed here today for a holiday, but I expect my controller in the mail tomorrow! (maybe it's being hopeful)

+1 for Al, he and I have shot about 25 emails back and forth for the past few days, he's been building me a custom switch for my needs on my FPV build! He really knows his stuff, and for custom work he charges VERY fairly!

RC poster
    Thanks for all the kind words!
    I like to make things that you guys find useful.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyOK View Post
    Thanks for all the kind words!
    I like to make things that you guys find useful.
    Hey I speak the truth, I'll definatly be keeping an eye on your site for new products. Who knows might have to have you make me a widget or two down the road for a later project.

RC Racer

Then we decided to outfit the Summit with brighter headlights...I don't have a picture to contrast the difference but I can assure you it was well worth the effort.

The center headlight buckets were hollowed out a bit...new lights pressed in and slathered with liquid electrical tape from the back.
    Hey, with those LEDs, are they wired straight from the receivor? or are some resisitors used?

RC Qualifier

That's the mechanism all screwed together to check geometry. It stuck out like a sore thumb so I powdercoated it flat black while I dyed my rockers black to help it blend in and make it look like traxxas put it there.

Power for the rear steer servo comes from a CC BEC...I attempted to wire the BEC to the non BEC side of the EVX2 circuit. That is a VERY BAD IDEA! You will fry your esc if you attemp to hook up an ext BEC in this manner...only hook up an ext BEC to the int BEC circuit used by the EVX2 (the one with the red tag) I now have an EVX2 that does everything but go forward...ugh learn from my mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    did you buy that rear steering set or make it yourself because either way i love the fabrication

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycophantsy View Post
    Hey, with those LEDs, are they wired straight from the receivor? or are some resisitors used?
    I just unsoldered the stock LEDs and replaced with the bigger LEDs. The voltage was the same for both so I didnt add any resistors. Has been workin fine so far.

I wanted to replace the outer LEDs as well but I couldnt find a clean way to fit them and priorities changed. I might have to revisit the project.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelRobbo View Post
    did you buy that rear steering set or make it yourself because either way i love the fabrication
    I made it, thanks.

RC Qualifier
    My other upgrades include double orange springs on all four corners...they are a must IMO especially if you pile on additional weight to your Summit as I have.

I read somewhere that putting the softer double yellows helps if you strictly crawl. I crawl 90-95% and endorse double orange all around all the way. I have 3 pairs of dbl yellow I'd gladly sell in the market place today ...anyway

I also run an 11 tooth pinion to increase the crawl-ability of the Summit (without going brushless or dewalt) and to help my Titan run cooler. Top speed is decreased but that's not why I bought a Summit.

Eliminating high gear would eliminate drive train slop and make it even better for crawling but a guy likes to go kinda fast every now and then...

I also invested in T-Bone Racing skid plates...for chassis and a-arms. My reviews are mixed. First off I believe they help for crawling and protection. BUT...the perfectionist machinist in me says...the front standoffs that mount the chassis skid plates needs to be .06 shorter (18.5mm vs 20mm for you metric fellows) as they decrease ground clearance more than they should. I have faced mine .06 shorter as I suggested and love it fits tighter and looks better.

I also lessened the bend with my heat gun on the chassis skid towards the front in the area of the steering servo guards...I can go into more depth apon request.

In the area of the rear A-arm skid plate guards I have another complaint...the plastic retainer rubs on the half shaft when the suspension is flexed to its full potential...note the score around the half shaft. I haven't done it yet but I plan to radius the head of the retainer in the lathe with a file to prevent the rubbing.

All in all I don't regret the purchase...I couldn't make them myself for the price I paid but they could be a little better IMO.

I've installed T-bone skids on 4 summits now and they have been consistently "off" and have thought about contacting them...but didn't know if I should.

That about brings my build up to date...I'm waiting on a new EVX2 with LVD since I fried my current model trying to figure out the CC BEC. (thanks again to Jimmie jamann and krall, couldn't have done it without the help)...maybe now I can take the lipo plunge...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The control arms are $2 a piece. I don't see the point in investing in control arm protection...
    PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless

Quote Originally Posted by satyrisci View Post
    The control arms are $2 a piece. I don't see the point in investing in control arm protection...
    It's not for protection so much.pointy rocks,sticks etc no longer get stuck in there hanging you up.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    It's not for protection so much.pointy rocks,sticks etc no longer get stuck in there hanging you up.

Sent using lipo power
    ^this, they make a world of difference.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by satyrisci View Post
    The place where I crawl is full of jagged rocks that I got hung up on numerous times. I noticed a big difference right away, in the amount of hang ups.

The skids are also angled an help ease onto and over SOME obstacles if the best line isn't there...or you screw up the line you wanted.

I do think they stiffen the lower a arm a bit be it good or bad. Protection of the a arm isn't why I bought them.

Are they a must? No but in my most frequented play areas they help.

RC Qualifier
    so...this or your mrc!?! hahahhaha i thought the name looked familar!!!

RC Qualifier
    And I thought yours did too ...I've got projects comin out the wazoo

RC Qualifier
    hahahaha sounds like it!!

i just got a mrc pro and (*tear) no longer have my summit