Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

happymachinist Summit Build:

I would first like to thank this forum and it's members for all there help. I've been meaning to start this for a while now but wanted to have somthing to show before I got all squirreled up.

Here goes:

A friend and I decided to buy ourselves a Summit after years of drooling over them. A Conneticut Kawasaki dealership's good deal sent us over the edge and we pulled the trigger.

So I started designing 4ws...something I've always wanted....

The design has come along way since its first conception...in my defense I based the initial design off my revo...since they are somewhat similar...to say the least it has changed drastically.

About a week later they fiiiiiiiinally arrived.

After some first hand testing and reading we first decided to replace the oem decorative beadlocks with heavy steel faux beadlocks to give ourselves some traction for climbing steep obstacles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    These beadlocks tipped the scale at 7.0 oz (the weight of an iPhone with an otterbox...wich we both have and sounded like a good place to start via text message)

The beadlocks were placed on all four corners.

...and we tested...performance increased...we removed the rear beadlocks and performance increased more...so we decided to go heavier (9.5 oz)...observe front (heavier new version) rear (lighter old version)

With one truck equipped with the heavier set and the other equipped with the lighter set (front only...rear received no special treatment) we began another round of testing. The heavy set won hands down.

RC Qualifier
    The truck looked goofy with just beadlocks on the front so a set of lighter aluminum beadlocks was made for the rear that tip the scale at 1.6 oz.

We fastened these rings to our Geodes using 2.5 mm x 20mm long stainless SHCS although stainless cap screws are weaker then black oxide they have held up so far considering they are decorative more than anything.

The ol Summit is startin to look pretty tough with the new body and powdercoated beadlocks.

RC Qualifier
    Then came the crazy heatsink and fan...

Of wich I'm quite proud of...it's not the lightest but has proved to work quite well...

I believe it has right at 100 sq in of surface area but I can't recall...it's late...

RC Qualifier

Then we decided to outfit the Summit with brighter headlights...I don't have a picture to contrast the difference but I can assure you it was well worth the effort.

The center headlight buckets were hollowed out a bit...new lights pressed in and slathered with liquid electrical tape from the back.

This is where our builds start to take their own paths...

I finally got a little time revise my rear steer...

Last edited by happymachinist; 09-04-2012 at 03:41 AM.

RC Qualifier

I like your work mate...looking good
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier

That's the mechanism all screwed together to check geometry. It stuck out like a sore thumb so I powdercoated it flat black while I dyed my rockers black to help it blend in and make it look like traxxas put it there.

Power for the rear steer servo comes from a CC BEC...I attempted to wire the BEC to the non BEC side of the EVX2 circuit. That is a VERY BAD IDEA! You will fry your esc if you attemp to hook up an ext BEC in this manner...only hook up an ext BEC to the int BEC circuit used by the EVX2 (the one with the red tag) I now have an EVX2 that does everything but go forward...ugh learn from my mistakes.

RC Qualifier
    My other upgrades include double orange springs on all four corners...they are a must IMO especially if you pile on additional weight to your Summit as I have.

I read somewhere that putting the softer double yellows helps if you strictly crawl. I crawl 90-95% and endorse double orange all around all the way. I have 3 pairs of dbl yellow I'd gladly sell in the market place today ...anyway

I also run an 11 tooth pinion to increase the crawl-ability of the Summit (without going brushless or dewalt) and to help my Titan run cooler. Top speed is decreased but that's not why I bought a Summit.

Eliminating high gear would eliminate drive train slop and make it even better for crawling but a guy likes to go kinda fast every now and then...

I also invested in T-Bone Racing skid plates...for chassis and a-arms. My reviews are mixed. First off I believe they help for crawling and protection. BUT...the perfectionist machinist in me says...the front standoffs that mount the chassis skid plates needs to be .06 shorter (18.5mm vs 20mm for you metric fellows) as they decrease ground clearance more than they should. I have faced mine .06 shorter as I suggested and love it fits tighter and looks better.

I also lessened the bend with my heat gun on the chassis skid towards the front in the area of the steering servo guards...I can go into more depth apon request.

In the area of the rear A-arm skid plate guards I have another complaint...the plastic retainer rubs on the half shaft when the suspension is flexed to its full potential...note the score around the half shaft. I haven't done it yet but I plan to radius the head of the retainer in the lathe with a file to prevent the rubbing.

All in all I don't regret the purchase...I couldn't make them myself for the price I paid but they could be a little better IMO.

I've installed T-bone skids on 4 summits now and they have been consistently "off" and have thought about contacting them...but didn't know if I should.

That about brings my build up to date...I'm waiting on a new EVX2 with LVD since I fried my current model trying to figure out the CC BEC. (thanks again to Jimmie jamann and krall, couldn't have done it without the help)...maybe now I can take the lipo plunge...

Last edited by happymachinist; 09-04-2012 at 05:15 AM.

The truck is looking great,nice work
    That's part of the fun for me tweaking and tuning it to get it the way you want it
    Lipo is the next step.makes a great truck god like.....lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    Cool topic, you should make a "rear steer" kit and sell it, looks proffesional made
    Last edited by MonsterDigger; 09-04-2012 at 10:19 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Outstanding work on the rear steering and all others. Your rear steering is real close to what I was trying to accomplish but alas I do not have a machine shop. Yes with 4x4's weight in the front always helps, again wish I had access to a machine shop but am stuck with stick on weights. Great work and pre-planing before you even got your truck.
    Agree with jamann next Lipo's and you will have one outstanding truck.
    Makes me want to stop posting on my stuff when I feel I have done a great job and they see people come up with things like you have done.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterDigger View Post
    Cool topic, you should make a "rear steer" kit and sell it, looks proffesional made
    I second that, that is a very sturdy looking set up. And very creative using the custom beadlocks as front wheels weights.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Edstoys View Post
    Makes me want to stop posting on my stuff when I feel I have done a great job and they see people come up with things like you have done.
    Don't stop posting! That's how we all learn.

I admit I have tools not typically available to others but almost all of the ideas came from this very forum... people are so willing to help here. It makes it a great environment for learning. The mechanical stuff I'm good at...the wiring and electrical part that's a different story...but I'm trying. Thanks for the compliments.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterDigger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    I second that, that is a very sturdy looking set up. And very creative using the custom beadlocks as front wheels weights.
    I third that, lol. I don't believe I've seen a better looking rear steer setup.
    Tekin powered Summit

RC poster
    In the third picture, the truck on the right looks just like mine right after I got it!

RC Qualifier
    Awesome build!

RC Enthusiast
    Great build.....best rear steer setup I have seen.

RC Competitor
    very nice,heatsink is killer,like you keeping the motor,but for the most part everything is just time and sum scrap,ill place an order for my heatsink now thank you lol

RC Qualifier
    Quality work! I look forward ti see what else you come up with..

RC Qualifier
    Id like to add a servo saver to the rear steer...took it out for a bit on Monday and got into some pretty tight jams that taxed the servo pretty good...I've never used one of these and was wondering how stiff the spring is. It looks like they make a medium and heavy duty. For $14 might just try it...beats ruining the servo. Might ask the Maxx people as well since it's a direct upgrade for their trucks.

I'm leaning towards the HD...any input?

RC Qualifier

Had a little more time to work on the ol girl....since I'm waiting on parts. I radiused the fastener for the rear skid plates to hopefully keep it from rubbing on the half shafts.

And fine tuned my servo block of plate. I still need to coat it black...so it fits in better.

RC poster
    Nice servo block off plate!! I see you carved out the center, I assume for weight reduction, My question is why didn't you make it out of a black plastic instead?

RC Qualifier

makes me want to lock myself in the garage (or maybe my spare room with ac lol) and work on my summit!! dont know what i'd do but this is making me jealous!!! hahahaha

RC Enthusiast
    DOPE
    are those wheel beadlock weights custom? or did you buy them somewhere?

NICE TRUCK!

RC poster
    Very nice wish I had skills to make stuff like that

RC Qualifier
    I'd take the body off ya! I'll pay? PM me if you wish to sell
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

RC poster
    Very awesome work machinist. Please tell me You sell your work....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Qcustomz View Post
    Very awesome work machinist. Please tell me You sell your work....
    Yeah, I would certainly buy the parts to make 4ws from happy!
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for all the compliments. Sadly I don't sell nor do I plan on selling parts I make. I hardly have enough time to work on my own or the girlfriends let alone make parts for other people. Sorry.

Its been kinda slow going as of late but I thought I'd post an update:

With the 4ws steering wired up (opposing only) and "the boss" wanting to go play with her new toy we went to our proving grounds with a buddy to see how she works in real world conditions (not just the grass)

(the girlfriends new toy)
    It's actually candy purple but its one of those colors that doesn't photograph well, except on a clear sun overhead type of day.

I didn't get much for pictures it was kind of a short outing, my truck didnt have reverse due to the mishap when I was wiring my bec, and she lost a 2075 about 15mins in (imagine that)

Even without reverse I decided that the punk controller was probably my best bet rather than to control rear steer with a pot. That way I can focus more on the trigger and lockers (I think) who knows I may recant on this idea but who knows.

So I pulled the trigger and ordered a punk I'd been eying them for a while it was just a matter of time. I also got a couple servo reversers coming from a popular online auction house...the waiting begins...again.

I don't know what I'm going to do with the reversers but sounded like somthing handy to have.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Qualifier
    So with the punk on order and no where to put it I began to brainstorm. (stare at things until I go cross eyed)

This was what I came up with first

It's just a sheet metal bracket with a stock summit rx box. I didn't know if the punk would fit but I figured it would be close.

I started drawing a wire diagram and decided there was going to be too many wires going to the rx and bec and it wouldnt look very clean.

So I stared at things a little more and this is what I have come up with for now. It's not the prettiest thing in the world but neither am I.

I doubt it water proof but it is water resistance. I tested it with a Gatorade bottle (twist nozzle type) and I am happy with it. It should be well suited for an occasional puddle splash and snow.

The last picture shows how close the top of the box is to the body (I run the same body on my 3.3 revo). About .030 or so.

I can now eliminate the original rx box and hopefully put everything (rx bec and punk controller) in this one box. It's my first try I might not like it's location and revise its size and shape. Time will tell. It's made from what I had laying around.

It won't fit in the factory location due to my excessive heat sink. So now I wait for the punk to get here and cross my fingers that it will fit.

Last edited by happymachinist; 09-14-2012 at 04:25 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the location idea; been trying to figure out where I was going to mount my Puck at, but still having a problem with the BEC due to the heat sink as well. Kinda figure it is going to be left to the elements due to the heat sink.
    Wish our Radio Shack still carried those project boxes, but all they sell now are projects with boxes

RC Qualifier
    The project box I modified was from radio shack unless they quit carrying them within the last month or two you can still get them there.

I realize this is online but they had a pretty good selection at the walk in store. That's where I picked it up.

Last edited by happymachinist; 09-14-2012 at 11:54 AM.

RC Champion
    Wow super low price too! It's funny, the smaller the box the more the price goes up sometimes. I have project boxes of all shapes and sizes and materials, and sometimes the smallest ones cost twice as much as a 10x10x10

I get mine from one of those Chinese stores that sells everything excess.

Love the craftsmanship of your work, it really make it look official.

I'm building an FPV setup and will have on the car:

5 receivers
    video transmitter
    fpv battery
    two CC bec's
    gps location
    osd x 2 (one is immersion other is e-osd)
    punk rc
    4ws setup

I am in dire need of space, and love the simplicity of your, "above the rear-shocks" mod using the existing screws! Hope you don't mind seeing something similar once my project is up and running! =)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    Wow super low price too! It's funny, the smaller the box the more the price goes up sometimes. I have project boxes of all shapes and sizes and materials, and sometimes the smallest ones cost twice as much as a 10x10x10
    Haha they do it cause they can, they know we are cramped for space and have no choice but to use a little enclosure so they jack the price up!!

Yeah I've done SOME reading on your project but it doesn't take long for my head to start hurting and I have to stop I imagine your going to have a few wires to deal with.

Steal any ideas you want, that's the point of forums like this...to learn and teach.

RC Qualifier
    Did a little wiring while I wait for the punk to show up. I don't know if it's going to fit in my project box or not, only time will tell.

I'm using 2 CC BECs one for each steering servo and letting the EVX2s bec power the 3 shifting servos. Overkill I know but when the punk arrives it should be a simple plug and play modification. (for now)

I shortened the output wires and soldered the input wires together with a larger gauged single wire in attempts to save room and clean things up a bit.

As you can tell the enclosure is still pretty tight. I made a trip to the big city earlier this weekend and stopped by the shack searching for a 4x3x1ish box with no luck. I'll have to do some online looking.

This is everything except the steering controller and Y harness depending on what I do with the shifting servos. Hopefully heat won't be an issue. I'm going to use a rubber band to hold the lid on my first few outings to monitor heat inside the case.

I can shorten up my y harnesses a bit to save some more room but it may not be enough.

A few more views...

Last edited by happymachinist; 09-17-2012 at 03:40 AM.

RC Qualifier

I also stripped and powder coated my old dbl yellow springs mirror black to see what they would look like.

When I find the time I am going to coat all 4 I like the looks. The only thing left to black out then will be the chassis...

RC Champion
    How are you powder coating everything? Is it actual expensive powder coating, or are you "baking" the paint in a kitchen oven, or what!?

RC Qualifier
    He has access to a machine shop or works in one....so he can powder coat to heats content when he can use the equipment would be my guess.
    Do know they make some powder coating stuff used in fishing gear, I just remember about need to do some checking on that stuff. It works in a oven.

There are home kits available
    Just don't use your home oven
    Or someone may not be very happy with you...lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried