RC Racer

I need some tires.....

I already have some Axial AXI8046s which are the oversize 40 series beadlocks. I have studied tires until my eyes are bleeding. I need to hear from you all what works on these things. I understand that I may have to cut them down or use hub extensions. I want something that allows me to maintain near stock ground clearance. I am a basher, primarily on dirt and mud and do very little actual crawling but want to maintain the ability to crawl in the woods as opposed to rock. I have searched all of the internet and haven't really been sold on what I have read so far. So what says the hive? I need to do something soon as my stockers are nearly shredded.
    Tekno wing mount, Pro-Line wing, Maximizer X-75s, and Maxx Mashers.

RC Enthusiast
    Im going with the proline trenchers 40 series on the axial beadlocks. Ive heard nothing but good things about those tires, ive used the short course version of the trencher on my slash 4x4 and was very happy with them, lasted a long time too. Hope this helps a bit

RC Qualifier
    With those rims you may be better off with the trencher x, hopefully someone who knows better than I will chime in on that. Other than that mudslingers have been the favorite for me as an very well rounded tire

RC Enthusiast
    The trencher X has a traxxas style bead and wont be a direct fit onto the axial beadlocks. You might be able to trim down the bead and make it work. I dont think anyone has tried yet. If you want to run the trencher x you will be better off buying them premounted.

RC Qualifier
    the x has a different style bead than standard trencher?

RC Enthusiast
    Yes the standard trencher 3.8 or 40 series uses the normal style bead, which is compatable with the axial beadlocks. The trencer x uses a 'traxxas style' bead which is different from the normal style.

RC Qualifier
    The Trencher X has the Traxxas style bead, but I'm pretty certain they'll still work with Axial Bead locks. This guy did it with Talons.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ished-rin.html

RC Enthusiast
    There ya go, so like i said im sure it can be done with a little bit of trimming. It just depends how much work your willing to do to get them to fit correctly.

RC Qualifier
    They'll also look better IMO with a wider, 40 series wheel (such as Axials above). There is much less tire bulge, so it will corner better too.

This dude mounted the Trencher X on modified Proline 40 series wheels (he trimmed the outer lip).

http://mytoyz.wrong17.com/savage7.html

The only other issue is the oversize axials unless they are the narrow ,don't have enough back space
    So they can rub the a arms a few reports of no rubbing,but I believe once the hub slop issues shows up,and it will at some point.the rubbing issue will increase.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    ^^^ you're right about rubbing the a-arms. You'll need extended hubs to avoid this.

RC Qualifier
    My next tires will be the Trencher X's. I wanted to model Little Smokey after my '94 Chevy K1500. So I was going to get a set of Mickey Thompson Baja Claws, but I can't find an old body style Chevy Silverado w/extended cab
    Last edited by Little Smokey; 09-04-2012 at 01:24 AM.
    Mini Revo VXL 7107
    E-Maxx 3903 - He Lives!

RC Racer
    Thank you all for your input. If a guy was going to cut down a set of oversized Axial beadlocks to make his own set of Axial narrows, how much width would he cut out?
    Last edited by Rick's Revo; 09-04-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Tekno wing mount, Pro-Line wing, Maximizer X-75s, and Maxx Mashers.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick's Revo View Post
    Thank you all for your input. If a guy was going to cut down a set, how much width would he cut out?
    Its hard to tell, but you'll know when you insert the bead into the groove of the bead lock wheel. It should go in all the way. If the entire bead doesn't fit, you should be able to tell how much to trim off it to get it to sit flush in the groove.

In the video below, there is a close up at 4:30 of inserting the bead into the groove (this is a 40 series bead, not Traxxas style).