RC Racer

First Traxxas, first post, first wreck.

Hello all.

Yesterday was my sons 10th birthday and I decided to get him a real remote controlled vehicle. He's had many low cost ones from Toys-R-US and Target throughout the years and I felt it was time for a high end one.

I charged the battery a couple days ago so it would be ready to go on his birthday. He was very excited when he unwrapped it. We installed the battery and he took it out for a spin in the front yard and street. He actually took to it pretty well. Only a few roll overs and scrapes.

Today he wanted to take it to his school and have a little fun on the baseball and soccer fields. Se we picked up his brothers from his mothers house and walked to the school. About 100 feet from the field I powered the truck up and drove it full speed towards the grass. I neglected to check the steering trim, it shot right, I over corrected left, then over corrected right and hit the only pole anywhere in sight.

Yeah, I broke his truck. After talking with him last night about being responsible and careful with his new, expensive "toy", I'm the one that breaks it. Obviously he was a little upset, didn't quite get tears, but his eyes watered up. He wasn't upset so much that I broke his toy, but that I felt soooo bad that it happened and he felt bad for me. I promised that no matter what, it would be fixed today. And I kept my promise. $30 in parts from a local hobby shop and it was ready to roll again. Had to replace one "A" arm, one shock, the shock mount and a bracket on the steering bellcranks.

Now I need to save up for a second one so my son an I can race around together.

And a couple videos:

http://youtu.be/f3cYKZLJqXY

http://youtu.be/Glh4jDylcVI

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Big open parking lots with no poles. Should be tagged to the throttle trigger... You guys will have fun, but will spend some cash fixing the booboo's. Just come back here with any questions and many will be happy to help. Training mode works.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Racer
    Thanks. Luckily these things are really easy to work on. Brought it home and thought I had it almost good to go, then found another broken part. Went back to the store and finished fixing it in the car.

Fixing broken stuff wont be a problem, but I'm sure we'll have plenty of questions about upgrades later. And I'll have to look into that training mode.

Welcome to the forum man.Its all a learning curve but its great bonding time with your boy i cant wait for my son to get his first rc but hes only 9 months old but my girl is 9 years and she loves it.if you get any problems we will help
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Welcome and good choice.

RC Qualifier
    these trucks are pretty durable very fast and fun to work on it will be a good hands on learning experience for him everything is replacable and there are lots of mods and upgrades that can be done as he gets older and more experienced welcome to the hobby

there is a lot of help and info on the forum these guys are very sharp
    how many rc trucks does one person need lol

RC Racer
    sThat is a great story Saturn. I wish my dad bought me an rc truck when I was a kid. They probably didn't exist so now at 36 years old I play like a kid and almost tear when my truck breaks lol. All the best to you and your boy.
    I play til something breaks

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaxxray757 View Post
    sThat is a great story Saturn. I wish my dad bought me an rc truck when I was a kid. They probably didn't exist so now at 36 years old I play like a kid and almost tear when my truck breaks lol. All the best to you and your boy.
    Thats the great thing about having a son now. I can justify buying him the cool stuff I wanted as a kid

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by lowsaturn View Post
    Thats the great thing about having a son now. I can justify buying him the cool stuff I wanted as a kid
    guess that makes me in my second childhood i have 5 rc cars and a boat

lowsaturn your handle reminds me of when i was running my maxx down the street and ran under a low saturn at full speed i was appologizing to the people and digging my still running maxx out from under there car what a day
    how many rc trucks does one person need lol

A Pede 4x4 has got to be the greatest first truck ever!! Good buy Dad.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Congrats on the purchase and fun times with the youngster!! Believe me its a blast. I built my little guy a MERV a couple months ago and gave it to him on his 4th b'day about 3 weeks ago. It's so awesome how they concentrate on driving. Like O.G. said, "Good buy Dad". !!! There are tons of good upgrade parts that you can purchase to make the truck more durable. You can do this off the bat, or do them after breakages. RPM makes some great upgrades that are flexible and save you. If you need any help let us know.

BTW the best part is when the both of you have one and can bash together. Oh and pick up a skater's ramp or build one that is easily moveable. Then are a blast in fields or back yards.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Welcome to the forums.. Many memories will be made with that pede 4x4
    I have a pede 2x4 as my first real RC and that's a blast to have running with my dad's t-maxx and brother's rustler.
    Enjoy it for many more years to come.

Make sure to take pics and videos often!
    Never trust a fart.

RC Racer
    I wish my dad was like that. He gets mad everytime something breaks. He says that i need to leave things stock so they dont break and i tell him that a brushed xl5 just isnt much for me after basking in the light of brushless

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by pede1497 View Post
    I wish my dad was like that. He gets mad everytime something breaks. He says that i need to leave things stock so they dont break and i tell him that a brushed xl5 just isnt much for me after basking in the light of brushless
    I guess its a good thing that I'm the one that broke parts first. I think if he smashed it into that pole, I might of got on him about it. At least I know now that one small mistake or crashing it just right can result in broken parts and I am going to be very, very understanding when it happens to him. But replacement parts are cheap and easy to swap out. Yesterday he was playing with it and jumping it off a small mound of dirt in the backyard and off a ramp out in the street. It was taking some pretty good hits without issues. I guess I hit that sweet spot to break stuff.