RC Racer

Filling differential

Last night my car was getting noisy so I pulled it all apart to inspect some stuff. I just got done taking apart the rear differential because thats where it was realy noisy. Anyway it was pretty much bone dry. In the directions it says to fill it halfway up the spider gear. Does this mean that I fill the differential halfway ?? Won't oil come out of the front bearing where the cush drive is ?? Also I don't have any Traxxas oil. Is there another oil that you guys use that works just as good or better ?? I was thinking TRI Flow. Or is that too thin ?? Thanks in advance !!

RC Qualifier
    No, the differential is the round thing inside what your looking at. The area it sounds like you are in is supposed to be dry other than grease on the ring and pinion.

RC Racer
    Yeah I figured that was what the directions are talking about. There was no oil in there either LOL !! I used Tri Flow in there. Hopefully it will be good. I also used grease on the ring and pinion. When I was taking the axle off the differential I noticed that one of my threaded pins was broke off. Where the heck do you buy them pins ?? I looked on ebay and can't seem to find them ?? It doesn't even look like they come with complete drive axles. I robbed one off my other car but need to get a few extras.

RC Racer
    Boy oh boy !!! I just redid my front differential and another threaded pin that holds the axle to the differential is broke in half !!!
    So now I stole two off my other car !! Any info would be great !!!

RC Qualifier
    pics help a million .. you been driving it like you stole it ? lol jk ive had plenty pins go ,
    XO-1,SLASH 4X4 ,SLASH 2WD , 2/RUSTLER

RC Racer
    Just took it out for 20 minutes and its so quiet now that it doesn't sound like its going as fast !! LOL !! I went through all the bearings in the whole car today also. I just replaced a bunch in the rear axles a week or so ago. They are junk already !!! They were Traxxas ones. I ordered some other brand off ebay from hong kong. they don't have the blue rubber seal. They are a steel mechanism bearing. So I replaced all bearings in the axles today with these. It didn't run any faster but i was running it into a very strong headwind. I still need to order a 19 tooth pinion. 67mph just isn't fast enough for my road and 77 is too fast with the 21 tooth. If I ever get some company I'll take some video. I think you guys would get a kick out of what my style driving is !!!

RC Racer
    I think I have found how to buy them pins the cheapest. They are in a rebuild kit for the driveshafts. 6757 I think the only other way to get them is to buy complete driveshafts.

RC Qualifier
    thats kind of what I did , 2nd time around ordering the pins in the rebuild kit .. even bought some from losi packages because thats all my LHS had instock lol and some lundsford pins IIRC .. bought the kit and couple driveshaft spleens . OMG what a differnce makes when their not bent .. my issue was i kept losing the little peice that goes inside the ball end of shaft that the pin goes thru . but for some reason im only topping out in the mid upper 90's for some reason somthings binding or my batteries arnt living up to the potential cuz its grippping and dipping but some reason wont crack a hundo

RC Racer
    I have two sets of batteries. One set per car. I kinda messed up one set of batteries a long time ago when I crashed it into the ditch into a big puddle of water. It melted the battery end right off. My other batteries give me more power. Its normally 2 MPH. I need to get some better batteries. I just got in from bashing for over an hour. I lost 6 MPH from when I started. I have big puddles of water in the ditches. We got alot of rain last night so I stuck my crap batteries in it just in case I put it in the water !! LOL

RC Racer
    I keep breaking these threaded pins. I bought 2 of the axle repair kits so I got 4 of the pins I needed. I'm down to one !!!! And I haven't crashed it. What is going on here ?? Have any of you redid this and made a bigger pin ?? I cannot find these pins as a separate part number. As of right now I think I would like to buy 50 of them !! LOL !! Anybody have a part number for these ??
    I can't afford to pay $12.00 for a repair kit that has 2 of these pins in the kit. This threaded pin connects the driveshaft to the differential. Maybe I need to change my style of driving !! THANKS IN ADVANCE !!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    have you tried the pin that screws into the axle adapter on the end of the shaft by the hex .. might be bigger .. I broke one also in differential i think because i threaded it too tight in there , the threaded part is still broken in there , i tried drilling it out with no luck so it sits as is . you should be able to find those pins seperatly\\\

edit: the axle adapter pin is longer and bigger so might not fit
    I believe they are the same pins that go into the slash 4x4 differential also but I not sure if they only come with the plastic shafts I know Ive bought plenty of shafts and have plenty of these around and they are same size

if you take it in your local hobby store they should be able to find a replacement . if not let me know ill send you some
    Last edited by BennyG6; 09-07-2012 at 10:25 PM.

RC Racer
    Ya I think thats my only hope is to take the pin to the LHS. Looks like I'll have to get criticized about buying the XO-1 again. Man I hate going there !!

RC Racer
    Well I took one of them pics to the hobby store today after work. He sais hes never seen a screw shaft that small. He also figured the only way to get them is to buy the driveshaft repair kit. Like I've been doing. Anyone ??? Anyone ??? I can't see keeping having to buy these kits when I only use one part in the kits !!!