RC poster

Summit Transmission question(1/10)

I have received different answers to this question:

Should I use grease(possibly lithium)to cover the gears inside of the transmission?

A hobby shop said to stay away from using anything inside of the transmission, yet I have see youtube video's showing other Summit users cleaning grease off of the transmission parts and re-greasing when they put it back together. Not sure which way is best.

Any ideas?

RC Qualifier
    plastic gears dont need it but a light coating wont hurt anything.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    better just to leave it with no grease. traxxas says so in the manual unless your into boating that one needs grease (prop shaft) at every run, LOL.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC poster
    ok..Great information. Sticking with the Summit manual..no grease.

Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    better just to leave it with no grease. traxxas says so in the manual unless your into boating that one needs grease (prop shaft) at every run, LOL.
    Well, actually that is not totally correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Your Summit Manual
    • Transmission: Remove, disassemble, clean, and re-grease the transmission components. Use a light coating of wheel bearing grease (from an auto parts store) on the metal gear teeth. No grease is required for the nylon gears. Refer to your exploded view diagrams for help with disassembly and reassembly.
    You can find this on page 20 (non-LVD / non-TQi) or page 19 (LVD / TQi) of your manual.

Pulling up said exploded view of the transmission, you'll find metal gears in part numbers:
    • 3976 : Idler gear, 13T
    • 3992 : Input shaft / Drive gear assembly
    • 3996X : Idler gear

As posted previously, grease on the nylon gears will not harm them. Just keep grease away from the slipper clutch.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    ok..I see now. I will lightly grease the meatal gears. If grease get on the nylon gears no harm no foul. Thanks again.

RC Competitor
    I am a garage door installer and I used the liftmaster rail grease that comes with the openers on the inside of mine when I first got it. I have not had a problem since and it seems to shift much much better.

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    I always brush on a little grease...be careful what you get from youtube...it can be a great resource but like the rest of the internet any nimrod can post misleading and unfactual information. I always double check here like you did...there is an incredible wealth of information floating around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk