Hybrid View

RC poster

Problem with conversion from Slash to Rally

Hello,
    I am doing a conversion from brushed slash to Rally and have run into a small problem. So, you remove the rear bumper from the slash with the bottom two screws (# 7035 - 2.5x14mm). Now that the bumper is gone, when I put the screws back in, they go in farther.
    This causes the rear wheels to completely lock up!!! I back the screws out and the wheels turn again.

I guess I will add some washers, but, I am surprised no one else has run into this!?
    I bought this as a used slash in rough shape. Could the previous owner have screwed up re-installing the rear differential? Is it time-consuming to take that out and re-install?

Also, there seems to be some resistance when rolling (powered off). I have another (new) stock slash VXL and there is about half as much resistance there.
    The used Rally seems to run OK.

Thanks for any advice.

The screws are going in far enough to make contact with the rear differential. Since they are the same on both models, you could be over-tightening them.

Differential fluids could be different from the new one to the older one.
    It is not uncommon for new ones to be shipped without any oil in the differentials... that would cause a lot less resistance.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Champion
    I thought they were the same also, however I ran into the same thing. The Slash screws are longer. Shorter screws fixed the problem. You will probably need to pull out the diff and clean up where the plastic pressed through. The deformed plastic will continue to rub the diff if you don't.
    [_] |||||||| [_]

RC poster
    I just finished doing my Slash to Rally.. I also ran into the same problem with the rear bumper... Mine was bought brand new... I took a old servo horn and cut it to size, the servo horn was the same thickness as the rear bumper... works great...

Kevin..
    1/16 Slash VXL

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I had that problem with my conversion. I used a spacer to keep the screws from going in to far. Actually stripped the plastic. Had to order in new blukheads.

RC Champion
    shorter screws should fix it up, you can also cut the ones you have now, if you cant get to the store for new ones.

RC Enthusiast
    I'm doing the same conversion and ran into this issue. I went through the exploded views and they all list the 14mm screws. I got curious and pulled the screws from the rally that I have and they are about 1mm shorter. The solutions above will all work but I'm a little irritated that the exploded view is wrong and I bought what I thought was the correct screws and may now need to replace the bulkheads.

Why would you need new bulkheads because of this?
    When I threaded mine in too far I just cleaned up the inside with a sharp knife and then filed down a bit off the length of the screw.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Why would you need new bulkheads because of this?
    When I threaded mine in too far I just cleaned up the inside with a sharp knife and then filed down a bit off the length of the screw.
    I don't like having pieces that have holes where they shouldn't. Guess I don't have to buy new ones but I will probably replace them now.

FYI, the Traxxas 3236 screws are 2.5x12 CS and are the size that my Rally has stock.

Guess what I found tonight when I was dumping the camera onto the PC...

It seems I snapped a picture of my blow through and the "fix". I don't see anything wrong with this as the screw is going to block anything from entering or exiting through that hole.